Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The Myths of Slack Key origin.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  1:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Benny Parsons?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  2:09:34 PM  Show Profile
Deliverance ???

BD1
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  2:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Howzit T/P Ohana,

This thread can go on and on.

John Lake is a living proof of the vaquero era. His grandfather was Mr. Ramon, one of the three cowboys hired by King Kamehameha III. Ramon was a guitarist. If you listen to the music of Kahauanu Lake you can hear the similarities of spanish styles in the way Lake strums his ukulele. Lake's trio is a prime example of the Spanish in sound...upright bass, guitar and ukulele. John Lake was featured on a 2003 Video Presentation on the Waimea Cowboys.

Lake explained that Ramon was responsible for introducing the guitar. This has to be a significant period near the mid 1800's where the ukulele and the steel guitar were also discovered. Perhaps sailors off of their whaling ships may have introduced the guitar too. Or, the immigrants from Portugal...many migrated to Kealakekua.

There is not much solid evidence on paper but enough evidence in John Lake's video about the Waimea Cowboys.

For me, I play slack key here at my gigs in Kona. I have 20 students that I teach on Mondays. 2 of them are Mexicans and they play open string flamenco style. They want to learn real slack key Hawaiian style. Most of the other players like Lehua Kaapana, Ledward & Nedward Kaapana, Marcus Wong-Yuen, Sonny Lim, John Keawe, Noland Hao, Haumea Antone...they all have that stinctive Big Island style slack key that has some roots sound. I know, because I play deep slack key stuff. It is in my 'koko'. It is basic. It is play slow and simple.

I thought I share some 'pono' stuff for you all to know.

Malama, Don Kaulia

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  3:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Howdy Don,

Thanks for chiming in.

Been a long time since those workshop wrap up parties at the Blue Marlin!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  4:14:59 PM  Show Profile
I supose at this late date we can conjecture all we want and never prove any theory. However, as to vaquero's being unable to play guitar due to the rough use their hands got, rope burns would have rendered their hands unfit for their roping duties. When I rappelled in the service, we wore work gloves. Our hands would have been shredded by the rope when we tried to stop our descent.I submit, then, that they must have used gloves.The rpoe must be free to slide through the cowboy's hands, as the drag on a fishing reel allows line to go out. This was the reason a roper "took his dallies." Dallies were turns of rope around the saddle horn. The rope was then allowed to slip through his hands, until his horse stopped and the calf was down. Then the rope was tied to the horn. In addition, the handle end of a branding iron would have to transfer a certain amount of heat, after several hours of branding. Gloves would have been a necesary part of the equipment. Last point: All the old farmers, coal miners, etc of the 19/th early 20th centuries worked hard with their hands. Many working people still abuse their hands.But all the old guitar/banjo/mandolin/ukulele/fiddle traditions were passed down to the present day. In America, most folk music was written about the lives and concerns of working class people. Written by those very people. Our ancestors brought many old songs with them from The British Isles when they immigrated, but it was working class people who left England to populate the colonies.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  4:38:00 PM  Show Profile
As to the rough hands stuff -- anyone been to interior Mexico lately? Ranchero is alive and well with ... the rancheros.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  5:08:40 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Very, very interesting. In my mislocated blogs (rather adept at the technique)I've mentioned that the "haina" portion of Hawaiian songs also occurs in Mexican music. Another interesting side-note, the Vihuela is a 5 stringed instrument that sounds and plays like a ukulele. This instrument is used in Mariachi music. The love songs and ballads replicates the emotions of Hawaiian music.
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  5:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Basil Toots is the sister of Robert and Roland Cazimero. She is a very sweet hula dancer also. She attended Kamehameha with me.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  8:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by mpi_50

Another interesting side-note, the Vihuela is a 5 stringed instrument that sounds and plays like a ukulele. This instrument is used in Mariachi music. The love songs and ballads replicates the emotions of Hawaiian music.

For the curious ("Tu Sonrisa" played on a Vihuela):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6WFAN1fFPU

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

But rumors have been circulating that Burt Reynolds may have invented George Winston in 1973.

Bonus points to the first poster who can identify the convoluted (and totally imaginary) connection I am making here.

OK, only one hint - but that should give it away.

"Richard C. Sarafian"
Go to Top of Page

benjo
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:31:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
*DING! DING! DING!*

(Told you it was convoluted - and that the hint would give it to you.)
Congrats, benjo!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't get it...what's the connection to George Winston?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  1:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The movie's title is "The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing." George Winston's record label is Dancing Cat.

Man. Sometimes, bad puns ain't worth the effort.
Okay, bad puns are NEVER worth the effort. Hasn't stopped me yet.
(Hush, Momi.)
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  3:17:26 PM  Show Profile
The BEST bad puns bring forth groans instead of laughs. This is the finest reward in all of humor, to make the listener groan.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000