Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Working on ha'i, any tips?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  3:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou,

I take voice lessons and just recently decided to split my practicing time between singing classical and opera, which I'm trained in, and ha'i. When I practice my ha'i, however, I just don't want to do the break and thus go from chest to head and vice versa too smoothly. Any suggestions you could give me so that I can figure out if I'm doing the break right or not? Mahalo nui loa in advance.

Aloha,
'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi 'Alika,
We've talked a little about this and so I have to rehash a few things.
I have found that singing along with CDs helps you learn where and how your voice breaks, as well as the keys in which you can sing. Yodeling, repetitive breaks, also helps you learn your break.
My vocal chords needs to be free of food and sweet drinks, too.
Once you know the way your break works, you can begin to emulate artists with similar qualities and practicing using their repertoire. Also, I find that singing with an 'ukulele lends itself to singing falsetto.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo Jesse. May I come over to where you live and work on it with you? Haha!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  05:56:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
That would be fun! But I find that everyone's voice breaks in a narrow range, so that our voices might not work together very well.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  06:25:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Once you know the way your break works, you can begin to emulate artists with similar qualities and practicing using their repertoire.

True. And that break is typically a perfect fifth - which is why you hear it in cadences at the end of verses (such as in the V/V - V - I chord sequence).

My only bit of advice is not to overuse the break. While the break is not a recent invention by any means, its overuse is and has been a conversation point among kupuna when they are criticizing the young lions of falsetto like Na Palapalai. If you listen to "old school" falsetto singers, you won't hear the break at all - ever. I am thinking of falsetto legends like Mahi Beamer, Bill Lincoln, John Watkins, Benny Kalama, Joe Keawe, and George Kainapau. Their style is characterized by finding a key where they could sing the entire song in falsetto without moving into their full voice. Contemporary Hawaiian falsetto singers who honor this tradition and use the break minimally include Tony Conjugacion and Kimo Alama Keaulana.

You can pretty much trace the beginning of the popularity of the break to the Ho`opi`i Brothers debut album in the mid-1970s and their yodeling extravaganza "Kupa Landing." It's beautiful and it revolutionized falsetto singing. But before that, you hardly heard the break at all.

The reason that some kupuna get bent out of shape over the break is really quite legitimate. We have said in this forum before that the most important aspect of Hawaiian mele is the story and the mana behind the words. When the break is overused, the vocalist is really just using the song as a vehicle for their own vocal gymnastics and disrespecting the composer's intent to simply tell a story. It is just my opinion, but the break should be saved for effect - to add emphasis or emotion.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Well actually, Auntie Genoa Keawe did it back then and still does today.

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think there are multiple genres of falsetto singing. My favorites include Joe Keawe, who did emphasize the break in songs like "Na Ka Pueo" and "Kaimanahila" where he added a sort of rhythmic yodel to the end of lines, or like Lena Machado, he would pick a key which allows the singer to constantly jump above and below the break, such as "Kauoha Mai." My favorite current performers include Na Palapalai, Pilioha and Atta Damasco.
The simplest delineation between styles, as Bill was describing, would be those who emphasize the break and those who make the transition from normal range to falsetto as smooth as possible. Yodeling probably belongs in its own category.
Jese Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  06:59:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

I think there are multiple genres of falsetto singing. My favorites include Joe Keawe, who did emphasize the break in songs like "Na Ka Pueo" and "Kaimanahila" where he added a sort of rhythmic yodel to the end of lines, or like Lena Machado, he would pick a key which allows the singer to constantly jump above and below the break, such as "Kauoha Mai." My favorite current performers include Na Palapalai, Pilioha and Atta Damasco.
The simplest delineation between styles, as Bill was describing, would be those who emphasize the break and those who make the transition from normal range to falsetto as smooth as possible. Yodeling probably belongs in its own category.
Jese Tinsley

Why do you think that? Isn't yodeling the same type of thing?

'Alika

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  07:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yodeling is definitely part of Hawaiian falsetto singing, but it goes beyond ornamentation of a song to focus on the vocal athletics of the yodel, so I see as different from just emphasizing the ha'i. Yodeling is very helpful in learning how to break your voice. Good practice!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  07:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

quote:

Yodeling probably belongs in its own category.
Jesse Tinsley

Why do you think that? Isn't yodeling the same type of thing?

'Alika

Actually, I think Jesse is dead on. I equate "yodeling" with the excessive use of the break - as opposed to the tasteful and understated use of the break such as by Lena Machado and Joe Keawe. At the same time, yodeling - which is like using the break over and over again in rapid succession - is a skill set well beyond just using the break once or twice per verse.

Nobody does this yodeling thing like the Ho`opi`i Brothers, but Gary Haleamau is a close second. (He has a new CD coming out, I hear...)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  12:15:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
(sings like the commercials) YA-HOOOOOOOOOO!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  5:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The Yahoo yodel is by Wylie Gustafson (www.wylieww.com) of Dusty, Washington, about 80 miles from my house. I've jammed with Wylie a couple times and he's great at cowboy style yodeling.

Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  03:23:45 AM  Show Profile
You should hear Gary Haleamau doing this as well. Hearing Gary yodeling was at my second ever show of live Hawaiian music...not only the yodeling, but I was watching his flying fingers on that guitar..WOW!

Almost like down home music. Get that Willie and Eric together and they just make me laugh...so full of energy and kolohe to boot.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  04:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:

The Yahoo yodel is by Wylie Gustafson (www.wylieww.com) of Dusty, Washington, about 80 miles from my house. I've jammed with Wylie a couple times and he's great at cowboy style yodeling.

Jesse Tinsley

That's the sound I hear when new e-mails come in at my yahoo e-mail address! Love it!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile
Jesse, would that be as in Wylie & The Wild West? Sounds like a good jam buddy, if so.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  1:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
My newspaper did a story about Wylie about ten years ago and I got to meet him. Later we jammed a couple times at the home of a friend. He's so busy anymore that he's hard to catch between tours.
When his yodel for Yahoo went into its national campaign several years ago, Wylie "renegotiated" his fee for that little jingle. He now has a huge horse arena on his ranch. He's dubbed it "the barn that Yahoo built."
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000