Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Music at the Santa Cruz Wharf
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile
After the "Aloha Festival Outrigger Canoe Races" at the Santa Cruz Wharf there was a full day of free Hawaiian Singing and Hula.

The Victor Ohana Band....Three generation local Santa Cruz Favorites started.

Kalea (Bobo) Miles with Steven Espaniola, along with superb local steel guitarist Patti Maxine blending together like they had been playing together for years followed with extra sets and songs by

Aloha Island Grille Serenaders and

Selena sang her soon to be recorded (by Bobo) song "Lovely Lani Kai"

Then Makana played 2 one hour sets that just literally amazed and enthralled the audience to a spontaneous eruption of a standing ovation at the end.

To top it off...the weather was perfect also. What an amazing day!!!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  5:13:03 PM  Show Profile
I coulda swore I saw pictures of Makana on the slack key festival web site. I thought he was there at the slack key festival. Musta been pictures from previous years.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  7:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Makana is unworldly, but today he was in only one place at one time.....and today that place was Santa Cruz.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  06:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Speaking of un-worldly, Patti Maxine was absolutely amazing! Great ear and exquisite touch on the steel guitar which is a very difficult instrument to "get right"...Mahalo Patti!

Steven
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for posting the post show comments. Sounds like a great day.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Steven,

I totally agree, Patti Maxine is an amazing steel guitar player and one of Hawaiian music's best kept secrets. I heard her for the first time at Patrick's Christmas concert at Freight & Salvage this past year. She played so beautifully on her pedal steel, without any rehearsal--incredible touch and feel for Hawaiian music. We were blown away.

Patti is also a very sweet and humble person, as a few of us Taropatchers found out after talking with her after the concert. Hey Andy Admin--remember the concert?

Bummer, I wasn't able to see all of you in Santa Cruz. Next year!

Doug
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  09:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Pics from the event

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  12:28:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That's some bridge on that bass. And the strings look like they would break your fingers. What diameter? Looks about 1/8".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Lol... Are you referring to my large resolution pics? If not, the bass specs are pretty standard. This beauty is my 1943 Kay upright shipped from Hawaii and given to me by my uncle Larry. He's been the guitarist at Germaine's Lu`au for umpteen years.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

LopakaDavis
Aloha

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  06:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit LopakaDavis's Homepage  Send LopakaDavis a Yahoo! Message
great day indeed... perfect weather, great music, hula.. just needed some vendors selling some Hawaiian Food.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  08:04:24 AM  Show Profile
Your right about the food. The coconuts didn't last very long!!

We need Timmy (Aloha Island Grille) to cater next year.

Hozaboutit Timmy????

Patti Maxine is just too good for words.
It's unreal how good she really is.
I feel so honored to be able to see her play.

Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 08/21/2007 08:10:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  7:18:45 PM  Show Profile
Um, the problem with Hawaiian Food booths is that some years ago the restaurants on the Wharf complained about the competition, and so the food booths were removed! Too bad, a Mexican Burrito or a shrimp cocktail just don't stand up to Kalua Pig.

What are you gonna do?

Julie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000