Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Beware the sabine stick on tuner
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  05:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Beware the sabine stick-on tuner. The tuner has already ruined the finish on two of my instruments. The adhesive on the back of the Sabine seems to have a negative reaction to certain finishes. I thought it was my imagination at first but when it happened a second time. Auweeee!

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  06:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Which guitars or type of finish was damaged? Was is mounted on the top or the side near the neck? Was it the new "Magnapad" or the older "Safemount" adhesive?

Ralph

Edited by - Rlowenote on 08/21/2007 07:07:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
The damaged happened on 2 of my custom instruments, an ukulele and a guitar which leads me to wonder about the finish of these instruments, both locally made. I mounted the tuners in several locatons on the instuments. In both cases though the damage to the finish happened on the bottom corner below sound hole. I was not aware that the sabine tuner used 2 types of adhesive. I purchased mine from "Musicians friend" when the product first came out several years ago. I loved it. Well, whats done is done. At least the sabine adhesive did'nt damage my aloha for Kiho`alu.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  02:17:09 AM  Show Profile
The majority of custom instruments have nitrocellulose lacquer as a finish. It is very soluble in most every organic chemical and even sweat will take it off (also things like insect repellent and sunscreen). The reason is not only chemical, but physical: it always stays a liquid (as does glass, BTW). Which is one of the reasons why luthiers like it - it moves around easily under the buffing wheel (another is its sonic transparency). Nitro will also check and crack easily under rapid temperature changes. Take care.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Rlowenote
Akahai

84 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  03:32:08 AM  Show Profile
I contacted Sabine regarding the adhesive change since I also use the tuner. Here is their reply:

We changed the pad with the new model AX3000. It is actually the same
material as used on all the AX models but is a different tackiness
("stickier") because people were complaining the old pads didn't stick
well enough and they are slightly thinner. The new pad you just kind of
set on the instrument like a magnet without pressing down on it to make
it stick.
You can always use a very small amount of talc powder to make the pad
less "sticky".
There are no chemicals or anything in the new pad that will harm any
instrument finish including cellulose lacquer just like the old pads.
You just need to stay away from old finishes that are cracked or any
finish that has lost its integrity between coats. Basically if a piece
of scotch tape would pull up your finish then the pad might also. It is
still a use at your own risk type deal but there are very rare instances
of problems over the years and the problem was not caused by the pad.

Best Regards,
Michael

Michael Beasley
Customer Service Manager
Sabine Inc.
13301 N.W. Highway 441
Alachua, FL 32615-8544
Domestic Ph. # 800-626-7394 ext. #324
International Ph.# 386-418-2000 ext. #324

Ralph

Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  05:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Thanks for all the info . alohas
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Stopped using my sabine tuner a few years ago, I was not satisfied with the readings it was giving me. I use a couple of the "clothespin" tuners that you clip on to the headstock when playing at home. When performing I usually check the signal going into the PA using a BOSS chromatic floor/stomp tuner. That way I tune to what is going into the PA whcih is what the audience hears.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  10:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Which clip-on tuner do you like the best? I apologize if I am repeating a topic from a previous thread.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/

Edited by - Darin on 08/22/2007 10:41:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

This is the one that Sarah and I love. It works for steel guitar and `uke, too. On the lowest strings, you may need to chime for it to detect, but OTW, it is great. It comes under several brand names, and is available in lots of places.

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/012687.html

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2007 :  10:11:14 PM  Show Profile
Used to use the stick ons and for me the tuner didn't work on a noisy stage. I couldn't get an accurate pitch with all other instruments going. Interesting also to note that the nitrocellulose finishes did crackle when I moved to WA. My luthier is of the opinion that it does not effect the sound and mentioned it was a desirable effect for some guitar collectors. He would not refinish my axe saying he thought it would degrade the value of the guitar. "Just leave it with the crackle its cool that way" I don't necessarily agree. The sound however does not change. And the crackle in the finish of my guitar bug me a little bit. Especially when 90% of my instruments are custom made by hand or maybe foot. I use intellitouch and the little one that is linked on this topic. Also got a Boss from my stepson for xmas. It isolates the guitar from the PA when tuning. Nice deal and accurate as heck.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  06:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I use the little black Intelli tuner that Reid linked to. I like it but don't think it is that accurate. It will read that it is tuned, yet I can vary the pitch just slightly, that is, enough to hear a slight change, and the Intelli will still tell me that it's in tune. However I use it to get close then dial it in by ear. One thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't pick up the low notes very well. Use the bell tones on the 12th fret for these, it works much better than just hitting the open string.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  12:19:43 PM  Show Profile
Over the years I have acquired two different "clothespin" type tuners. One is always in one of my ukulele cases and the other in one of my guitar cases. I find they both get innaccurate when the battery runs low. I prefer the Seiko STX1 to the Intellitouch -- it is smaller and I can get it to swivel for better viewing -- seems to register the notes quicker. Daniel Ho likes the Korg AW1 (smaller still). The Boss TU2 is a floor stomp box, is very accurate and fast, plus when you stomp it to tuner mode, the sound doesn't got out over the PA -- the audience doesn't have to listen to that annoying song, TU-NEENG!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  06:19:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Great suggestions. I've used an Intellitouch for years. When playing solo, or in quiet places, it definitely serves its purpose. However, it ensemble settings, I've certainly run into situations where the Intellitouch said it was in tune, the other persons's tuner said they were in tune, but it was clear the instruments were not in tune.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  09:31:58 AM  Show Profile
And I thought I was imagining things. One time I had 3 frets difference between tuners and the little clip on was the wrong one. Oh yeah 3 frets low was the result.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  12:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
I may be imagining things, but it seems to me that the big Intellitouch tuner starts to give phony readings as the batteries lose power. So I've seen the exact same things: the tuner says I'm in tune even as I drop a string 20 cents or more... Any of you rocket scientists care to comment on how this can be??

I've noticed that my Sabine stick on (which has not harmed the finish on a custom guitar in over five years of use, BTW) just gets onery when the batteries are low. Ditto the Miesel (Now produced by intellitouch.) But no false readings, just digital confusion... lights blinking randomly, that sort of thing.

Also, when playing in a session, it's a good idea to calibrate all of your tuners. I've seen folks accidentally recalibrate their tuners to 444 or somesuch by pressing buttons without paying attention, then they wonder why the rest of the band is flat. Heck, I've done it myself.

But, let me remind y'all that relying on an electronic tuner will get you.... out of tune. You need to temper the tuning depending on what key you are in. And the best way to do that is to use yer ears.

cheers,

Mark

Edited by - Mark on 08/24/2007 12:19:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  12:55:00 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I may be imagining things, but it seems to me that the big Intellitouch tuner starts to give phony readings as the batteries lose power. So I've seen the exact same things: the tuner says I'm in tune even as I drop a string 20 cents or more... Any of you rocket scientists care to comment on how this can be??

My theory would be that it has to be power related. When the battery is low, it must not have sufficient power to provide an accurate display. Does it have analog or digital display?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000