Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Beware the sabine stick on tuner
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
How do you know that the battery on the Intellitouch is low?

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
My theory would be that it has to be power related.

Umm, yeah, Wanda. That?s what I said; there?s a power issue-- when the batteries are low it gives false readings. It is not a display issue. But thanks anyway.

My reason for posting was to alert folks to what is actually a very well documented bit of weird behavior. These tuners are notorious for working great for a while, and then developing tuning inconsistancies. I?m not the only one who has noticed this:

F?rinstance, on the forum quoted earlier by Reid:

quote:
I found the Intelligent tuner pretty good - IF - the batteries are new to newish.

The shame is that, when they work, they are great: big, easy to read... and you can hot rod ?em to play the CNN news feed after you?ve tuned up.

quote:
How do you know that the battery on the Intellitouch is low?

By the fact that it gives false readings?

Actually, I do know my way around a volt meter. I even had a slide rule once. But the give away is the fact that the problem goes away with fresh batteries.

But I?m still curious about the mechanics -- most tuners either dim the display as the batteries run down, or alert you to the fact with annoying flashing lights, or they just get real picky.

The Intellitouch just starts blissfully lying at you. Da bastid. So Reid, Lawrence, Absolute??? Any other white coat types??? Enlighten me.

I should mention here that I currently own something on the order of a dozen different tuners, not counting the tuning fork in my dulcimer case. My fav is a lovely koa wood job build by Dr. Q, the guy that invented the Sabine.

Happy tuning!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple tuners, have changed the batt'ries and STILL keep an "A" fork in the guitar case. A true "just in case!"
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  5:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Here's another thread singing high praises for the Intelli 500.

http://www.guitarnotes.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000286

I just ordered one from EBay. $21 after shipping.

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  09:30:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
So I received the Intelli-500 in the mail and did a comparison with the Intellitouch. I put new batteries in both tuners and put them both on the headstock of my guitar. I also switched the positions of the two tuners on the headstock, to make sure that the area where each tuner was placed on the headstock was not a factor.

The buttons on the Intelli-500 buzzed when I played the guitar. This was a little annoying. I put some scotch tape over the buttons, which cured the buzz.

The backlight on the Intelli-500 is much brighter than the Intellitouch. Also, the display is more useful. While the Intellitouch has 3 markers on each side of the display to show whether a note is sharp or flat, the Intelli-500 has more markers, making the display more precise.

Here's the kicker. In Taropatch, I tuned the G bass (5th string) and the G string (3rd) string so that they were in tune with each other (no beating patterns). The Intelli-500 registered both notes in perfect tune. However, the Intellitouch registered the G string in tune, but showed the G bass as being flat! This inaccuracy was very discouraging.

So, after five years with an Intellitouch, it looks like I'm switching to the Intelli-500, which cost about $21 after tax and shipping. Go figure.

Darin
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Darin

So, after five years with an Intellitouch, it looks like I'm switching to the Intelli-500, which cost about $21 after tax and shipping. Go figure.

In an effort to imitate everything you do, I had to order the Intelli last night. Thankfully, this one will only cost me $21.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile
I got one too just last week and it does seem more acurate. I only wish that the readings were quicker. There is a significant delay.
Because of the lag, I have to pluck repeatedly so I can make an adjustment to the tuning key before the marker starts reatreating. That is one thing that the intellitouch does better.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 09/11/2007 4:27:25 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000