Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Is this `ukulele any good? Is it a deal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  04:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Whata do yunz think about this from Musician's Friend?

I might want to do this whilst I enjoy my retirement.

Mahalo for your help.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OU5-Concert-Koa-Ukulele?sku=514017

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  08:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Good question. Looks like a nice one. Koa too!

I'd think in terms of a tenor if it were me (probably look at low end stuff on E-bay at "Musicguymic") in the hope of adding some volume and flexibility compared to a concert sized ukulele, though the size isn't the only factor in such considerations (as you surely know), so I'd get an instrument that's set-up by someone who knows what he's doing with quality strings, so I don't have to spend another $100 to get the action adjusted and restring it, but that's just me. Does Musician's Friend set these things up? Do they even look at them before they send them off for damage or problems with the finish? I don't know, but I'd sure ask about it before I ordered from them. (I just went through this with their sister company regarding the Baja - got the last one - not a good thing - and a gig bag - that was supposed to fit it. I had to file frets that had a rise in them on one side, causing buzzing, and return the gig bag, which was not long enough. The sister company did give me a break on the price of everything I bought as a result.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Awesome Wanda ... I'm glad you goin take up learning da ukulele :-) Den you can join yo hussband jamming eh?

I agree wit Absolute ... Musicguymic is a great guy fo buy from. Anodda point ... is da ukulele solid koa or jus a composite wood wit a koa veneer?

I personally like the sound of solid over veneer any day. I did try a Lanikai koa (veneer) tenor that I though sounded OK though. The other composite woods sounded dead.

If you're willing to spend a little more, you can find really nice instruments made from solid wood. Mike has a lot of them at his site (da Kala Koa w/cedar top looks real nice):

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KOA-CONCERT-SOLID-CEDAR-TOP-UKULELE-new-ITEM_W0QQitemZ250161980706QQihZ015QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZViewItem

But, if you like one smaller ukulele, like da concert size get choke odda ones too.

shootz den

If can, can. If no can, no can.

Edited by - da_joka on 09/05/2007 09:19:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I will confess, I haven't spent a LOT of time with an Oscar Schmidt `ukulele in my hands, but I wasn't impressed with them when I did. Get one in your hands somewhere, before ordering it online - ymmv.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:48:26 AM  Show Profile
All of the OS ukes I've played around with are junk... Action is bad and intonation is terrible. I agree with the above posts. Contact Michael, give him a price range and tell him what you're looking to do. I'm sure he'll recommend something you'll be happy with.
Go to Top of Page

berean_315
Akahai

96 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  10:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit berean_315's Homepage
I'm pretty sure that OS uke is a laminate. A guy in our local ukulele group has one, and it doesn't sound bad at all. I believe he changed out the strings that were on it and put on Aquila strings. I would agree that overall the OS ukes don't sound that great.

A big second on checking out Musicguymic. He has a good selection and good prices.

I would recommend the Lanikai sold mahogany ukulele. I have a concert size (LSM-C) and it sounds and plays good. Can get one with a hardshell case and free shipping for $199 from Dr. Cluck's. Two friends of mine have them and they like them.

http://www.drclucks.net/fusemain.cfm?section=subcatbrowse&scid=55

Here are some YouTube vids to see how it sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GXPZNjLGY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7STJNTyi2s

Gerald

http://www.youtube.com/berean315
http://www.reverbnation.com/greadore
How to Play the Tahitian Ukulele PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/jz0219v8ec7bitu2h3mb
Tahitian Ukulele, Music & Language PDF: http://www.box.net/shared/7xdrebqoulugrvehf43l
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Whata caught my eye were two things, and when I tell you what they were, you will know instantly that I am not a musician. I thought the price was extremely reasonable and I saw "koa". Now that I think about it, how could they put all that koa wood into it and charge that price, so you are more than likely right that it is at least veneer. I am still not sure whether I will get one or not. I am still kicking the idea around. One never knows, do one.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your expertise with me. It is appreciated.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:20:12 AM  Show Profile
Hey Wanda ... jus do it :-) Take yo time and find da ukulele you really like. You not goin be disappointed!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  5:02:09 PM  Show Profile
And here's my two cents. I have a Pono concert ukulele made of solid koa, but does not sound like my Hawaiian made ukuleles. My brother also has a Mele ukulele that too is not as bright and projecting as a Kamaka, Koaloha or Kanile'a that I have strummed. I was told by a novice ukulele builder that the "bright projecting" ukuleles are a result of the soundboard being thinner toward the center away from the outer edge.
If you want quiet so to speak, then the OS might be a choice. As I have mentioned before, I kind of like the Pono for the times when I don't want my uke playing to be out there. But in a group or performing, bright and loud is my usual preference.
Any ukulele in the $100-$150 usually has decent tuning pegs/keys which is one thing to consider. You don't want your instrument to lose its tuning while you play. So if you're not picky about the uke's sound, don't forget about tuning part. Also a good set of strings can improve the sound of an uke.

G'uke

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'll echo what others have said.
The OS ukes are pretty, shiny and sound lousy. They are overbuilt bodies that just don't put out the sound. You'd be better off with a Lanikai/Kala/Hula Ukes/Bushman, etc., or something in solid wood. The laminated koa ukes from Lanikai/Kala sound good for their price, much better than the laminated mahogany ones. That pushes you up to the $125-$250 range, but there is much to choose from in that range. Then spend a little more for good strings. Definitely buy a tenor, if you can, or even a baritone (so you can watch the guitar the player's fingers and follow along!)
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  9:22:30 PM  Show Profile
An ukulele with good intonation is important when learning so you can "train your ear". But if you're going to be playing with a large group who's going to drown you out anyway, then pretty and shiny is nice :-)
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  12:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Its gonna be just me and Paul. Definitely no large groups here in Cleveland with whom to play Hawaiian music.. Hmmm...I can almost hear me now...I saw you in my dreams, we were walking hand in hand....

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  07:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I have to agree with everyone here as to Musicguymic I got my Uke from him last year and a Kala for my son. We both love our Ukes and Mike was great to work with.
Common Wanda join me. I have only been playing since March and I am having a blast. My son won't play with me says I am too slow but then I think he plays everything to fast so .... And at least you have Paul to jam with. It really is a FUN instrument.
As far as size goes I now have a fluke and a flea so I play all sizes I like the portability of the concert and soprano size but unlike a lot of people that love the Fluk and Flea I still love the sound of solid wood best.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  10:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Wanda,
Playing the ukulele is easy. Playing the ukulele well is HARD WORK.

That said, if all you want to do is see if you like to strum and sing, don't spend much money because the sound and instrument quality are not going to mean much to you. I started out with one of the first flukes 'cause I thought it would survive the beach and rigors of young keiki abuse -- it did.

Once I decided that I wanted to try to play well, I had to go to the lutheries, talk with them, ask their help, and decide what sounded good to me. That was when I was willing to spend the extra bucks for things that then, mattered.

In the beginning, laminate/solid, low action/high action, intonation, neck feel, ease of play didn't matter because I didn't care to notice. The Oscar Schmidt is a "you get what you pay for ukulele". They are intended as an introductory instrument, are made overseas with cheaper labor and less expensive materials. Kinda like the IKEA side of a IKEA chair -vs- a Thomasville rocker.

Get what suits your taste and (as you like to quote Led) JUS' PRESS.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  1:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Wanda... why don't you write a book or try golfing. There are way too many uke players. If you take up the uke, I will never visit the taropatch again.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  01:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Hiram - where you been? You trying that reverse psychology on me so that I say I will do it just to spite you, I think. OK. It worked, you are very wise. I gonna do it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000