Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Is this `ukulele any good? Is it a deal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  10:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Plain and simple. If you take up the uke and post about it in your usual style, I will leave the lohi.
I don't like sifting thru the ramblings of non musicians on a music website.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  10:41:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my. I am intimidated and frightened. Well, I guess you threatened me into doing your will. That is, giving you an excuse to leave Taro Patch. Aloha.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Originally posted by Hikabe
I don't like sifting thru the ramblings of non musicians on a music website.

If Wanda takes up the `ukulele, she will become a musician. I would argue that she already is one because she sings.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  1:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

There are way too many uke players.

Sacrilege, brah!
Didn't realize there was a quota - guess I got in under the wire.
Please do not report me to the Department of Harmonic Security.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  1:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Tink Hikabe bite da unripe guava for breakfast.
I also tink he means "lo'i" instead of "lohi".

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Tink Hikabe bite da unripe guava for breakfast.
I also tink he means "lo'i" instead of "lohi".

I thought he meant he would leave the "slow" (among us) behind.

Hiram: spit out the guava and smile again.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Wanda,

If your husband plays the guitar, which is my understanding, and has a collection of several, with some he doesn't use, perhaps he could provide you with one acoustic that he doesn't use strung with Aquila Nylgut strings and tuned "low G-C-G-C-E-A", ideally with a strap and a case or gig bag. The first four strings would be in the "standard" re-entrant tuning of a ukulele and should be pure Nylgut to maintain balance. The fifth and sixth ("low G- C") should be wound strings to provide for extended tonal duration consistent with providing a bass line. Kind of strange, but it saves you the price of a ukulele, and you still get to try out an instrument set up essentially like a D-VI ukulele (without having to wait a year or spend thousands). You'll be set for fingerstyle works. If you want to strum chords, just strum down across the first four strings with your thumb or forefinger (or a felt plectrum). (I've been assured that strumming across part of the strings is a common, slack key skill.) Get the 5th and 6th tuned to low G and Middle C (ideally with wound, Nylgut strings). That will give you a two string "bass" on the 5th and 6th strings that you can use to provide a bass line for slack key style arrangements, and a Nylgut ukulele on the bottom four. You can call it the "W-VI"! (Actually, I'm not joking. I've thought about finding a cheap guitar and doing this myself, but I've got so much to learn with the ukulele that its not something I believe I'll be doing for years, assuming I last that long. Aside from portability, and having to strum only downward across the first four strings to play ukulele chords, you lose nothing in terms of what you can do musically, and you gain a lot of range. I don't do it because I want to try to see if I can do halfways decent slack key on a ukulele, and I've got three ukuleles that I don't want to waste, two of which I built, with tones that I find myself inclined to enjoy.) The tension on the longer, more massive guitar strings will have to be higher than with a ukulele, so it might be a little harder on your fingers at first. "Musicguymic" sells Aquila, Nylgut guitar strings as well, and I would guess you could find a set at one of the local guitar stores without too much trouble if you're clear about the tuning you're after and the size of the guitar. Make sure the action is set up low. (Note: Guitars use C-G-C-G-E-A tuning instead of the one I indicated. See if you can use low G-C-G-C-E-A without causing damage to the bridge or nut - I'd like to know for much later reference.)

P.S. You can always pick up a cheap guitar at Wal-Mart, if the music shop says the low G - C -G-C-E-A tuning is viable, and the strings (http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AALAN.htm) at a music, shop, particularly if they'll mount them for you.

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/08/2007 3:36:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  4:08:48 PM  Show Profile
He even has one with nylon strings. When he comes home, I will tell him about your post and see if he thinks that is feasible. I am not adverse to spending money for a decent instrument (it will just take away from spending on scrapbook supplies). I just don't even know if I can find anything to touch my hands on here in Cleveland. I think Paul and I better start visiting the few music stores around here. Yes, Momi. Got to be careful taking him to music stores. Sam Ash gives me a headache with all the teenaged boys in there trying out the biggest amps they can find and just "wranging" on the guitar ala Pete Towsend.

Thanks to all you guys for your encouragement and advice. I truly appreciate it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Worst case you just remove the top two strings of a guitar, tune the remaining four to D-G-B-E, and you've got an instant baritone ukulele, without any strumming limitations.

Keep the 5th and 6th on the instrument if you want bass strings (regardless of their tuning), and you don't have to do anything other than strum downward on the bottom four and play baritone ukulele chord shapes on the 1st through 4th strings (which will actually be different chords on this "baritone ukulele" than on a G-C-E-A tuned ukulele. Just use guitar chords on strings one through four.

You can go to www.chordie.com and specify D-G-B-E tuning for a baritone ukulele if you want chord diagrams with tabs with the proper names for the chords. Baritone guitar tabs also work on a low G-C-E-A tuned ukulele because the intervals between the strings are the same, so if you ever bought a tenor, concert, or soprano ukulele, you'd just get one set up with a low G string to play the same guitar or baritone ukulele tabs on it.

If you want to keep the top two strings, use the top two strings of the guitar, 5th and 6th, as a separate bass guitar, as before. I'd go with nylgut strings, because they tend to be smoother and easier on the fingers than wound metal ones. Just make sure you get Nylgut with regular tension if you do change to Aquila's.

GOOD LUCK! (I remember someone saying he goes along with just about anything to get people to play a musical instrument.)

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/08/2007 6:16:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  5:50:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Here's "Aloha Oe". It's three fingers. I played it on my low G -C-E-A ukulele, even though its a guitar tab. Its a slow one, fingerstyle. (Chords are easier, but this one isn't too bad.) It's a good place to start.

If you do just borrow a g'itar and remove the top two strings so you can strum easily at the start, you can use baritone ukulele chords. I found a chord chart here:

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/chords/chords-bari.html

There's a link at the top of that page that will alter the chord chart for any ukulele tuning (G-C-E-A, A-D-F#-B, and D-G-B-E). (You can use your browser to print the chart.)

There's a songbook link at the top of that page too. The songbook is comprised of word tabs, so just strum the corresponding chord as defined for the baritone uke on your four stringed guitar. (Why not call it a "B-IV"?) They say you sing, so strumming chords is a fantastic place to start.

When you decide you want to transition to fingerstyle playing (if you ever make that decision), just put the top two strings back on and tune them. Now you've got, well, let's call it a "B-VI", just for fun. This "B-VI" is now your special, custom, baritone ukulele with a special extended fingerboard and oversized resonant chamber to insure optimal sound for slack key style performance, including two additional strings, rendering it a most unique "ukulele". (You don't have to use those nylon strings, but they make the instrument sound more like a ukulele. Remember, there's at least one professional ukulele player using steel strings. You can become the other one, although people might be inclined to mistakenly call your "B-VI" a guitar.)

Honestly, although I love my new low G tuned four string ukulele (and the two tuned re-entrantly), if I hadn't started out building ukuleles, I'd probably seriously consider doing just what I've suggested to you. To keep it simple,just string an inexpensive guitar with four, nylon strings, make sure the action is adjusted as low as possible, and play baritone ukulele. That way, when the slack key bug bit me, I could have just added two more strings and had a "B-VI" baritone ukulele, with two additional strings to use for the bass line. (It gets old fighting this ridiculous guitar culture in the midwest. You can't even find a set of ukulele strings except through the mail.)

Hope you stick with it once you get started.

Sincerely,
Absolute

Edited by - Absolute on 09/09/2007 04:39:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  04:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
The pidgin is great! Its like reading a passage from Mark Twain or William Faulkner, but with a Hawaiian dialect! (I can't believe you go to so much trouble to reproduce the way that the language is spoken by some in Hawaii. It demonstrates an impressive ability to reproduce the spoken word convincingly.)

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/09/2007 05:15:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile
Befo everybody go take strings off da guitar an jus leave 4 ontop ... did anybody have pilikia wit da neck starting fo bend because no mo enough tension on top um? might jus be mo bettah fo leave all 6 strings on an jus use da bottom 4 eh?

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  07:38:28 AM  Show Profile
Each and everyone of us was a beginner at the beginning. Were we musicians? And if we all posted on something like this site would we deserve to be chastised. Sometime we make enemies for speaking our minds. Sometimes people say unkind things but don't really mean it. We can't always get our way and if we sulk ...well, that is our own personal burden. I believe that this forum is for everyone who shares a common interest. It is not just for people who perform on a stage or make records. Anyone who has a desire to play music is welcome to share their trials and tribulations while learning the craft and art of playing music. Some are more skillful than others and we would hope that they behave as leaders and help and guide those who are just starting out on what I consider one of the most wonderful journeys anyone can undertake. If we share our positive and negative experiences sincerely that is OK. But to say you going leave the game and take your football home with you is unconscionable and downright mean. I'm sure if we have hateful feelings about some things we can express them appropriately or just hamau ka waha.
Disagreements with anyone can be worked out if the parties involved take the time to communicate with each other. I apologize for preaching and I am not trying to tell anyone off or to force my ideas on anyone. Just take it or leave it as you choose.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
(They use truss rods in guitars, right? Its the tension of the steel strings that can make the neck bend over time, particularly in a humid environment, particularly given the length of the guitar neck, which provides more leverage. If you relieve that stress that can cause the neck to bend, the neck won't warp. Removing strings reduces tension. It doesn't increase it. Good thought though.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  1:35:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Thanks Andy and everyone for your patience. This is my last post.
The internet is like being on the freeway, in that there is no accountability in peoples behavior. If we were all in the same room together, face to face, the dynamics would change. Some of us would be too embarrased to open our mouths in the midst of other wiser people who are not as vocal here in the taropatch.
Wanda and I are worlds apart. She will never understand that and will demand to have her way, even if it means pushing me out of the lo'i(tanks eh jes). On the downside, people are upset with me for not being gracious. I need to stop posting so I don't alienate people.
I just launched my career as an entertainer and can't let petty things upset me so. When I record my first CD I will send one to Wanda so she can see and understand that I am not just a cranky Hawaiian. She'll see that I am an extremely happy musician.
Meanwhile, I got to get out of here. See you Andy... Hiram Bell
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Oh, my. I am intimidated and frightened. Well, I guess you threatened me into doing your will. That is, giving you an excuse to leave Taro Patch. Aloha.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000