Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Is this `ukulele any good? Is it a deal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Bd1
Lokahi

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  2:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha !!!

BD1
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  4:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Good luck! Hope the stars permit me to see you in performance sometime!

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  4:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Ai-ya - da drama! No need.

Somebody - call out the next tune (and what key you in, please...)
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  4:41:21 PM  Show Profile
OK - I might as well jump into the fray...
and then again, maybe not.

Edited by - Pua Kai on 09/10/2007 12:13:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  5:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I understand where you're coming from, Hiram. Sometimes the posts here vary in quality and you have to sift through a lot of chatting to find something that is musically or culturally valuable. But the chatty posts, from sistah Wanda and the rest of the 'ohana, serve a purpose, too.
I hope that everyone can be respectful, first and foremost, of the culture, then the music, then each other. Grumpiness not withstanding, non-Hawaiians need to remember that Hawaiian culture is not a "hobby", to be critiqued, bought and sold on Ebay, bandied about without knowledge and worn on Tshirts. It is the precious personal remnants of a vanishing race, culture and religion, as well as the daily reality and the history of a living, struggling people which DOES NOT benefit from our interest in it (even if some make their livings from the music.) This is not to say non-Hawaiians shouldn't take an interest, but I believe we should not dismiss Hikabe, but take his admonition to heart, to whit, think carefully about what you bring to the discussion each time you post. Am I adding information and enlightenment or just posting to pass the time? Are comments respectful and humble in the Hawaiin way or are they demanding and presumptuous? If you are making an assertion about Hawaiian culture, are you sure? What is your source? Even if you heard it from a respected source, should you be the one to repeat it? Even if someone tells you something about the culture, don't assume you KNOW it. Hawaiians and their culture are a spectrum of attitudes and beliefs. Be open to contradictory views on a topic of culture or history. For instance, Hawaiian people are loving and easy going, even though others are grumpy and occasionally rude;)
There is something very special about the forum, especially because several Hawaiians and Hawaiian artists post here, knowing we are humble seekers of knowledge. We should value their input even if they're sometimes abrasive.
My 2 cents,
Jesse

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  5:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I should add that Wanda is a hoot and should not take this discussion as personal criticism. She has insinuated herself into our family and is now an Auntie of the taropatch with a heart for the music and Hawaiian people.
I bet she occasionally, even though she denies it, posts during work hours...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  5:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
People come and go from web sites. Music sites in particular. Sometimes its for the best. Buys them peace of mind. You stick with the music, and maybe,in time, you get a little better. I've learned a lot here, and I'm grateful for it. It's a shame when a learning and information sharing platform gets turned into something ugly. Keola Beamer and Mr. Kapa'ana speak about "aloha" as a necessity for good music making (slack key). I hope we all start listening to them soon. Everyone's different, and its impossible to walk in someone else's shoes over the internet.

Aloha!

Edited by - Absolute on 09/09/2007 5:43:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  6:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Different people turn to this website for different reasons. I personally look to it for information, community, connection, and entertainment. I can see that if someone were looking to the site for information only, other non-informative posts could be extremely annoying.

I don't expect to get along with everyone on this website. As far as I have seen (and I lurked for a long time before becoming a member) there are some I wouldn't want to share a meal, much less a song, with. On the other hand, I have learned a lot. I have made connections and kept connections with many I would not have met otherwise. Music can be wonderful common ground, broadly speaking and individually speaking, as has been noted on other threads on this site. I try to post with respect and hope to receive the same respect in return. I don't deny anyone their opinions, thoughts, or feelings. I do get bristly when they try to tell me how I should think or feel.

No one made Hiram leave. That was his choice. He's a big boy. He didn't have to make that ultimatum. If that's the choice he made, I hope that works for him (apologies to Dr. Phil).

I do not intend to be Wanda's apologist. I personally see her posts as being entertaining and informative. I do not get the vibe that she thinks she knows everything. Just my thoughts. Use them if they are useful to you.

Edited by - Momi on 09/09/2007 6:28:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  7:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Well, I'm a bit disappointed in the direction this discussion took, but that's me. It's unfortunate when, in a board with a relatively-small focus such as this, such animosity can show itself. Yeah, life's like that - but we can all use reminders in how to respect the knowledge and opinions of others, especially when they differ from our own. And if we find ourselves disliking someone's style in general, we can just skip over their postings, rather than chiding or deriding them from the anonymity of our computer keyboards.

Telling anyone else that they are or are not welcome, or that their contributions have less value or are misguided is a role that falls solely onto the shoulders of a board's administrator and moderators - and no one else. Please, let those with that responsibility handle the situation in their own way - or start your own board, where you can steer the ship.

As for those who feel they must draw attention to themselves with dramatic farewells (and drawing attention is the sole reason for doing so), I fear I have little respect. This is a behavior common to discussion boards, unfortunately. In real life, in how many circumstances could any of us get away with similar "if you won't play my way, I'm going home" pouting - beyond the age of thirteen, that is?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  8:46:00 PM  Show Profile
We hate to see you go, we hate to see you go, but what.... Nah only joking. Sorry that you feel compelled to leave Hiram.. I said before I may not agree with you from time to time, but, thas wot frens do, right?

You do contribute and I agree with Jesse that we all come to the table with something to contribute.. Sometimes we get frustrated. Its not easy but we can take the time to understand others and still not give up on our own principles. Relax and kick back. Work on your music and when the time is right you post again. I don't think anyone is against you. But like a family, if someone is seen to be misbehaving, that someone going catch some flak. Whether we like it or not we sometimes have to temper our temper with a grain of salt or something like that and be courteous to each other.

I don't know it all but i had my share of good and bad in this life. i been everywhere from Auwaiolimu to Papakolea to Kaka'ako to A'ala park to Mayor Wrights and Kam IV housing. i shined shoes on Hotel street when I was nine and I sold first edition at 4 AM on A'ala street when i was eight. My playground was Tin Can Alley and Smith Street. I survived all that and I can say that disagreements on this forum are manini compared to what i believe most of us have gone through to get where we are today.

i can't imagine the pain of giving birth but i have lived through the passing of my parents and close friends to terrible diseases. Life isn't pretty sometimes. And the music helps me get around the events in my life that i would rather not face at times.
i not bragging but i am just revealing a little of myself to illustrate that if we don't know a person and we haven't walked in their shoes why the heck should we get huhu and condemn them for being who they are?

i could tell a little more but I think you get the point. We are all important and we don't hook up by accident or coincidence there is a reason we all are here on this web site on this planet at this time in our lives. While the powers that be spend their time messing with the health of the planet to make sure that they and their friends make every dollar they can at the expense of others. We need to stick together even more. Our common interest in music is the spiritual glue that brings us together in the first place. It is not our fault that we are all on the same page. Imagine that!

Anyway E holomua kakou i ka lanakila a e onipa'a pu. Pua get your dictionary.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  10:01:58 PM  Show Profile
I don't usually jump into these things, but I've been following this thread since I replied to Wanda's initial question and would like to throw in some of my observations/opinions.

To give some perspective to my observations, I was born and raised in Hilo and now live in Mililani on Oahu. Although I'm not Hawaiian by blood, my wife is and so are my kids (I hope). Growing up, I had a lot of "Hawaiian" and "non-Hawaiian" friends and spent a lot of time learning about and living our different sub-cultures here in Hawaii. Did I write this to make some kind of expert on Hawaiian culture or to make myself more credible? No. It is to give a little perspective to my observations.

I follow this board pretty closely although I don't post much (shame on me or maybe not). I read this board for a couple of reasons. The first is for information on playing music and music gear. When I want to find out what kind of are good, what is good/bad about certain clip on tuners, how long people practice a day (to give myself peace of mind that I'm not the only obsessive/compulsive here, and to let my wife know it too), etc. I also read this to find out what's going on in the music community and other things that our local papers don't always cover.

A few months ago I noticed a bunch of posts started by wcerto and, to be real honest, I don't read most of them because the topics don't interest me (my choice). From the one's I have read, I find Wanda to be someone with a passion (obsession) for our culture. Strange? Kind of, but there are way worst things to be obsessed with. When I saw this thread, I thought "good, this lady going to try to play ukulele" and I posted a reply since I thought I could help. Anyway, been following this thread since, and wow this thing blew up.

It seems like many people here have an opinion on what Hawaiian culture is. It is really nice that everyone sees us as all being friendly and easy going. For the most part we are, but like any culture we have our bad eggs too. Anybody ever come here and run into a bunch of moks? or come across the nasty people like the one's in the Beamer's Mr. Sancho Lee? Well they're part of our culture too. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is interesting to see people argue what Hawaiian culture is, when our culture (like most others) is so diverse.

Finally, I find it amusing (crack up) when people post in pidgeon and (as a native speaker) I have a hard time figuring out what they trying to say. Even my Hawaiian friends grandparents don't use that many Hawaiian words when they talk. Remember, we don't try to talk like this we cannot help it.

Again, don't mean to side with or offend anyone, just my $.02.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, or you can just skip it.

Edited by - 808bk on 09/09/2007 10:11:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  10:05:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow, neva know how long the post was. I don't know you some of you guys can post long kind all the time cause the last one took me forever. Now I'm all wiped out.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  12:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Ai-ya - da drama! No need.

Somebody - call out the next tune (and what key you in, please...)

Anykine song, but I only play in Bb.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  12:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Whoa, I didn't read any posts yesterday. I was blessed to be enjoying some hot weather, good food and playing guitar. All I can say is, "What happened, Taropatch?"

Maybe it's a real family afterall. And the bigger the family, the increased likelihood of occasional bickering or conflict. Let's all play nicely.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  03:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Absolute

The pidgin is great! Its like reading a passage from Mark Twain or William Faulkner, but with a Hawaiian dialect! (I can't believe you go to so much trouble to reproduce the way that the language is spoken by some in Hawaii. It demonstrates an impressive ability to reproduce the spoken word convincingly.)

I second that! Please don't stop the pidgin! The only thing I wish more than being able to speak Hawaiian would be to be able to speak pidgin! (More people to talk to!)

I am a huge fan of dialects, pidgins, and creoles. (I was a language and linguistics major.) So I enjoy reading Zora Neale Hurston as much as I enjoy reading pidgin ghost stories or the pidgin Bible ("Da Jesus Book").

No, don't stop the pidgin, please. It is a touch of local flavor that IMHO is much needed.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000