Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Is this `ukulele any good? Is it a deal?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  05:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
Perhaps we should be careful not to become icons of the overbearing howlie presence in Hawaii, to me, too much the land of howlie millionaires. (Tread softly in the taro patch.) I know the ukulele is a Hawaiian instrument, and I hope no one takes offense at my frequent posting. I perceive pidgin as a form of self-expression, appropriate to Hawaiians if they choose to use it. I recall an Irish music site where British expressions were used, along with related modes of speech, by persons who clearly were not English. It made me shudder, even though English is my native tongue, so I understand the sensitivity.

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  06:36:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
So, Wanda... did you get an `ukulele yet?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  06:44:12 AM  Show Profile
'Fraid to say one way or the other.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  07:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
You can say, Wanda, it's okay ;)
We've come to love you as a mainland "tita". You're our most loquacious member but we don't want you to stop! I remember back when weeks would pass without a new post here, no matter how many times A DAY I checked it.
My earlier post was not to reinforce Hikabe's rudeness, but to ask everyone to give the Hawaiians who post here, especially those who are performers or kumu, a little more consideration about their opinions and more leeway to be grumpy. In spite of the many mainlanders who have learned the music and language, it is my opinion that we are diminished each time a Hawaiian finds this place, a Hawaiian music website, inhospitable for any reason. I cannot enforce Hawaiian social culture, but I ask everyone to try and be more ha'aha'a and to pa'a ka waha when tempted too crack back at someone who has offended them.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  08:29:54 AM  Show Profile
I am very sorry Hiram feels the way he does. He is talented...just look at his web site to see his art. Any musician who stands up and performs in front of others has my respect, but that being said, being an artist does not give one permission to be rude. I don't like grumpy. I don't even like myself when I get grumpy, and I can assure you that no one else likes it when I get grumpy. End of that story. No more to be said on it, please.

I have not yet bought an `ukulele, but I have decided that I am going to do so. The next situation that I need to figure out is how to get my hands on some to touch and feel. I cannot just mail order an instrument without feeling it. Cleveland is not the center of `ukulele culture by any stretch. Paul said that Elderly Instruments is about a 4 hour ride from Cleveland, so maybe we will take an autumn weekend in Michigan soon. Paul also suggested the "banjo-`uke" that someone gave him, although he said the action is quite stiff -- and it has steel strings. And it doesn't sound good by any streatch of the imagination. I will start visiting the few music stores we have around here to see if they have any `ukuleles worth looking at. Our local Bedford, OH music store seems have have some in their window always for pretty cheap, but I am leery of those. If I can just touch one that sounds and feels good, then I could mail order it.

Does anyone else out there have any nerve problems in their hands and plays an instrument? I would be interested in learning what type of instrument you play and how you handle the nerve problems, whether it makes it very difficult to do or whether it actually serves as physical therapy of a sort. Paul has carpal tunnel syndrome, but he still plays very nice. I can hardly play piano at all any more because I cannot stretch my fingers apart to do anything but the simplest chords. I have a clavinova, so maybe I could turn the switch to guitar or `ukulele and plunk around with one finger. Although the synthesized guitar really doesn't sound like a guitar.

Thank you all for your kindness.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  08:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
The keyboard and the ukulele don't compare. I tried "slack key piano" on an arrangement I wrote for ukulele then modfied ("Dancehall Piano"). It was easy because the arrangement was written based on a piece for ukulele, and the ukulele has very little range, meaning no need to move (or stretch) one's hand very much. I liked Elderly by mail, once. I don't know what they're like in person. (You could just get a cheapy ukulele by mail first. Cheapest thing with strings, and see if your hands are up to playing chords, before getting an expensive one. Mahalo's are pretty inexpensive starters, around $20.00. Ukuleleworld sells them. Add Aquila's for a little extra tonal quality.) I've got no flex in my wrists, and stiff knuckles, but I can still do basic stuff on the ukulele, even some fingerstyle pieces, if there aren't any pinkie chords requiring complex finger positions. (Probably why I grew so fond of basic chord based playing. Also why I try to write my own music. Keeps it in my talent range and gives me a chance to play around with slack key style compositions for ukulele - thanks "Uncle Dave"! I hate to always be "trying to play" an instrument and never getting there, like my experience with the piano.)

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  09:06:52 AM  Show Profile
Wanda,
One of the differences between guitar and ukulele is size (duh -- that was brilliant). Actually, if you can play four strings on one of Paul's guitars, you can determine if nerve problems will keep you from the ukulele. The ukulele may be easier or harder depending . . .
Your hands (if I remember) are about the size of mine -- I play at both instruments. Sometimes the guitar is harder (bar chords) sometimes the ukulele is harder (above the 10 fret my fingers are too big).
Until you can put an ukulele in your hands -- use what you have around you.
Otherwise, what is a $100 ukulele going to set you back -- just do it. There is always eBay. ::==(o )

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  09:08:55 AM  Show Profile
I bet one of these stores carries `ukuleles:

Sam Ash Music Store
5700 Mayfield Rd
Cleveland, OH 44124-2918
Phone: (440) 446-0850

Guitar Center
5800 Mayfield Rd
Cleveland, OH 44124-2910

Guitar Center
26635 Brookpark Rd EXT
North Olmsted, OH 44070-3137

Goronok String Instruments
10823 Magnolia Dr
Cleveland, OH 44106
Phone: (216) 421-4227

Timeless Guitars
5356 Pearl Rd
Cleveland, OH 44129
Phone: (440) 888-6116

Motter's Music House Incorporated
5228 Mayfield Rd
Cleveland, OH 44124
Phone: (440) 442-7470

Difiore's Music
13342 Lorain Ave
Cleveland, OH 44111
Phone: (216) 941-2772

Hale Music
1284 Riverbed St, Cleveland, OH
(216) 241-1717

Prospect Music
818 Huron Rd E, Cleveland, OH or 2061 E 4th St ?
(216) 621-5409

HEIGHTS GUITARS
216-397-7700
2128 Lee Rd
Cleveland, OH 44118

Wright Guitar
13807 Lakewood Heights Blvd, Cleveland
(216) 251-1955

CLEVELAND MUSIC CTR
440-843-9999
5426 Ridge Rd
Cleveland, OH 44129

MUSIC EMPORIUM
216-481-8648
670 E 185th St
Cleveland, OH 44119

LENTINE'S MUSIC INC
440-260-1400
18030 Bagley Rd
Cleveland, OH 44130

LENTINE'S MUSIC INC
216-691-2700
468 Richmond Rd
Cleveland, OH 44143

SODJA MUSIC INC
440-461-2995
5200 Wilson Mills Rd
Cleveland, OH 44143

or just click here.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  09:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

to ask everyone to give the Hawaiians who post here, especially those who are performers or kumu ... more leeway to be grumpy.

Jesse, you know I love and respect you - but I'm not sure I can get 100% behind a statement like this.

I understand that many of us here are involved with a culture that is not our own, but that happens to most individuals on the planet today, in one form or another. Hawaiian music today is no more or less "pure" than many other kinds of music - threads have gone into extensive detail about where the guitars and `ukulele originated, or which cultures brought what influences to bear on Hawaiian mele composition of the past 150 years.

I can certainly grant extensive respect to those with kanaka koko, as well as to those who perform or teach music on a professional basis - but I cannot agree that a specific racial bloodline entitles anyone to more leeway to be disrespectful of others.

If we were dealing with purchases of Hawaiian lands, or restructuring of Island governmental organizations, or even choosing docents for Bishop Museum or `Iolani Palace, okay. But this is simply a discussion group. Just talking with each other about a mutual interest.

As I saw this whole thread - one member (no matter where they are from, how often they post, or whatever their ancestry) asked a question that is completely appropriate to the forum. Another member (again, with no relevance to the afore-mentioned factors) used it as an opportunity to say they didn't like that person's posts, and would quit if they bought an instrument and told others about the experience (something that again would fit this forum.)

No one made the second person quit - they did so of their own accord (and you know they are still lurking here - it's human nature.) Their response to the original, appropriate post struck me as petulant, disrespectful, and somewhat insulting. And you say I should cut that poster some slack because of an accident of ancestry? I'm sorry, but that goes against the nature of my egalitarian soul. Do we institute a blood-quantum test to decide who gets to post about what and how often, and with a value assigned to their comments? Of course, you aren't suggesting that - but you see my point, yes?

Edited by - Retro on 09/10/2007 10:52:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  09:55:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey Wanda ... how much you willing fo spend on one ukulele (no need ansa if you no like) :-)?

Would be real cool fo someone fo classify as much of da ukulele's out dea into woods, sizes, prices, an stuff eh? Dat way goin be mo easy fo pick one. If nobody wen make one database liddat, den I might try give um one shot ...

As one of da newbies to dis forum, I still stay confused how one topic like "is dis ukulele any good" wen make people so huhu. No mattah who you stay o wea you from, o wat you do, IMHO I tink we all jus gotta chillax. Make like we all stay sitting on somebody's porch in Hilo, on one rainy day, wit someting nice an cold fo drink an our good friends ova wit dea ukulele's an guitars (not hitting eachodda ova dea heads wit um, but ;-P )... :-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Joka - As far as how much to spend...I would hope maybe under $200-250. I mean, I could spend that real quick on scrapbook stuff, so maybe better spent on an instrument. Dusty - I am impressed. You found way more music stores around here than I ever even knew about. One time I went to Lentine's to buy Paul strings for Christmas. Santa Claus always brings him strings for ALL his instruments. I was looking for dulcimer strings and the kid in the music store had no idea what a dulcimer was he kept asking me what is that. I'm going to check them all out. Paul has one friend who runs a store called Gitter Picker pretty close to us - Paul is going to check that out for me. Too bad Pete Smakula doesn't run Goose Acres anymore.

Capt. Mike - If I knew you were going to be looking at my hands, I would have gotten a manicure. Ick. Ugly nails. It was good to meet you when we were there. I do have big hands for a girl...yeah, yeah...not fat, just BIG BONED, ha-ha, that's me. I do not know how Iz could have played that little bitty `uke with them big fingers.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  11:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hey Retro! We'll agree to disagree. I realize my statements are racist, but it's my opinion. When I was in Hawai'i this summer, I saw that Hawaiians don't get along with each other very well and can be disrespectful to each other. Why should here be any different?
You may posit that the culture doesn't reside in the blood of native people, it can be carried from place to place in the memories of non-natives. I agree. But I still give gravitas to the native, however, for a variety of reasons, and don't want this site to become just a place for non-natives to chat about "those people" and "their music" without their input, even if its negative. I guess it's the same clash of cultures between the minority and the dominant majority in our country where the dominant group says "Why are those Indians so sensitive???" and the Indians say "How come those white people don't mind offending us???" We at Taropatch don't have to cater to Hawaiians who are grumpy, i.e., it's our website and we can do what we want. But the culture isn't ours to do as we please, so let's be careful. Hawaiian music isn't like other broad genres. Hawaiian music defines the history of a group of living people. Should I start an Salish Indian song website (cuz its cool!) where we can post our versions of their songs and critique which drum circles are the best, then get defensive when an Indian pops in and insults us? I think not.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  11:28:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Why should here be any different?
Because we can choose to make it so, by our own actions and efforts. Just as you and I can disagree on this with respect and courtesy. And we can still look forward to the rare opportunities we have to make music together. The Power of the 'Patch, aye?
Go to Top of Page

Absolute
Lokahi

275 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Absolute's Homepage
History shapes people's perspectives and values. We live it. It becomes part of us. We then create the present and the future. Those groups that have created resentment in the past can't completely disavow the effect of the values the group has acted upon, particularly if that group still acts substantially upon those values where dollars are at stake. (I recall a Hawaiian graveyard with the remains, last I heard, stuck in a trailer under a new overpass while certain matters are settled in the courts.) Is an apology, at any level within any government, enough to counter what was done a century ago? If a certain party is at times cranky, I can only hope that he finds the satisfaction that he seeks in his music all the more, considering the history that may have shaped his perspectives, even if only indirectly. One group can't seize advantages that emotionally and economically scar another group, then ignore the myriad effects. I won't judge him.

Thank you.

Edited by - Absolute on 09/10/2007 1:14:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  2:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I am a mainlander and only fractionally Hawaiian by blood quantum, so I am not an expert or an activist for Hawaiian issues. I am not fighting for justice or trying to right wrongs, as Absolute talked about. I am not saying that 99 percent of mainlanders who love the music aren't good patrons of the art and don't care about it deeply. I'm saying that when a Hawaiian says something here, listen and evaluate it in the context of what we already know, rather than dismiss them as a sourpuss. Don't crack back at them the same way you would in a Yahoo chat room about politics. Just realize that there are other issues, cultural differences and concerns, at play and don't take it personally.
Sorry, Wanda, to draw out this simple thread about 'ukes. I'm not sure the issues are even worth even airing. Thanks, everybody.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000