Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Led Kaapana in W. Virginia
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  4:43:24 PM  Show Profile
Just got this news and wanted to pass it along to you all:

7/18/03 through 07/20/03
Stretched String Festival
Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences
Grand Lobby
300 Leon Sullivan Way, Charleston, WV 25301
Ticket/info line: (304) 346-1100
Ticket outlets: In house ticket office only

Fri July 18; 5:30 p.m. solo concert
Sat July 19; 10 a.m. seminar/workshop
Sat July 19; late night jam-session

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  5:23:36 PM  Show Profile
"Stretched String Festival" sounds like a really desparate attempt not to exclude anyone except bagpipers.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  5:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Really...I wonder if it will include cat's cradle experts and string art.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 01/10/2003 5:49:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  9:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
well, led could probably play anything that has string on it, including macrame.

speaking of led (who's my hero), kevin brown was talking story about his brother nedward. has anyone heard nedward play the guitar? i'd love to hear him now that i know more about him outside of hui ohana.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  9:32:02 PM  Show Profile
ANDY!!!, Andy, Andy, hey, Andy...

Pauline said bagpipes. Is one allowed to mention bagpipes, Piffle don't think so. Pretty soon folks are gonna be talkin' about ahh ah ahhchord a ...a aaa...acordions....there I said it.

okay, the episode is past now.

Cmdr. 'Polka' Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  10:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Gesundheit.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Keith,

Ned is a very good slack key player. He is much more than a bass player (bass players - please don't take offense :-) Several years ago, Sarah and I were in Waikiki (I had business there) and Ned was playing at the Lobby Bar of what was then the Hawaiian Regent (now Marriot). We had a friend from N`awlins with us and he was so taken with Ned's playing that he plopped a $20 in the big brandy snifter and said "That's a real artist!" Later, as it was late (early in the morning), and gin and tonics had flowed, we were talking to Ned, and Sarah decided to get up to the mic and sing "I Kona" and Ned backed her up. He, at least, was about as good as Ledward on it. Sarah wasn't so bad either - they both got applause.

Too bad he hasn't recorded more.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile
Re: Led's brother, Nedward Kaapana -- in addition to having been one part of the talented trio known as Hui `Ohana, he's also had 3 solo CD releases:
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/nedward.htm

You'll be able to listen to some soundclips...

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  02:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Cmdr, some of us LIKE the pipes. (Some of us happen to own a SET of pipes.)

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  03:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
That's not something I'd admit to in a public forum.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  09:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I never knew much about the bag pipes. About 3/4 in to my freshman year in college, I found out my hall mate played them so at our request he brought it from home with kilt and all.

We all thought it was funny but before playing anything, he reminded us of the Skean Dhus or small dagger worn in his right sock.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  03:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Aren't the pipes what carry away our...well, never mind.

Ross (sorry, it's late) asaurus
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Those dates suggest to me that Led might also be teaching at the Augusta Heritage Center in Elkins WV for their guitar week (which ought to be 7/13-19). I haven't gotten any official word yet, but George Kahumoku made a big splash last year, and I got the impression that he'd asked back. But maybe it will be Led instead. (Dare one hope for "in addition"?) Put this together with the possibility of Patrick Landeza at Swannanoa at the end of July and it means that those of us who don't live on the left coast will have a shot at some accessible workshopping.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 01/14/2003 6:40:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000