Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: Hawaiian Affairs Forum Series 2/28/03
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2003 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou,

On behalf of the Hawaii Cultural Foundation, we are pleased to invite you to attend a special lecture with Kehaulani Kauanui, Ph.D. as a part of HCF's Hawaiian Affairs Forum on Friday, February 28, 2003.

HAWAIIAN AFFAIRS FORUM SERIES

The Hawai`i Cultural Foundation believes in the importance of exploring current issues facing Hawai`i, the native Hawaiian population, and the Hawai`i mainland community, and providing a forum as an on-going series of lectures on Hawaiian Affairs for learning about the different perspectives surrounding issues such as federal recognition of native Hawaiians, self-determination, sovereignty, environmental protection, land and water rights.

Special Guest Lecture by J. Kehaulani Kauanui, Ph.D.

Political Ambiguity and Ambivalence: The Multiplicity of Hawaiian Sovereignty Claims and the Struggle for Meaningful Autonomy

Is full political decolonization appropriate for Hawai`i? Is it appropriate for Hawaiians? These two questions are not one in the same. This lecture will examine two different initiatives: Senator Akaka's current proposal before the U.S. Congress for federal recognition of Hawaiians as a nation-within-a-nation and the counter-claim of Hawai`i's entitlement to full decolonization and independence under international law. In the Hawaiian movement today, there are multiple levels of ambiguity about these two claims as evidenced in the strategic invocation of both. The persistent maintenance of the dual claim reveals a particular sort of political ambivalence, which will be explored as a formative neocolonial predicament facing Hawaiians in the twenty-first century.

Friday, February 28, 2003 at 7 p.m.
American Indian Community House
404 Lafayette, 8th Floor (South of Astor Place), New York

J. Kehaulani Kauanui, Ph.D.
J. Kehaulani Kauanui is an Assistant Professor in American Studies and Anthropology at nearby Wesleyan University where she teaches courses in: Comparative Ethnic Studies; Methodologies in Ethnic Studies; Native Sovereignty Politics; Nationalism, Ethnicity, Identity; and Nationalism and the Politics of Gender & Sexuality. She earned her Ph.D. in the program of History of Consciousness at the University of California, Santa Cruz. There she completed a doctoral thesis entitled, “Rehabilitating the Native: Hawaiian Blood Quantum and the Politics of Race, Citizenship, and Entitlement,” which she is currently rewriting for book publication. Her work addresses issues related to Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander diasporas, indigenous rights, and the legal construction of race. In 1996, Kauanui delivered testimony before the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization in Hawai`i that addressed the political status issues facing off-island Hawaiians. And in 1999, she offered testimony before the President's Commission on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders. From 2000-2002, she served as a member of the Committee for the Status of Pacific Islander and Southeast Asian Americans in Higher Education, which was initiated by then Congressman Robert Underwood (D-Guam). Prior to entering the doctoral program, she was affiliated with Maori Studies at Auckland University, Aotearoa/New Zealand as a Fulbright Fellow. And before that, she completed B.A. (Honors) in Women's Studies, with a minor in Ethnic Studies, at the University of California, Berkeley. She is the recipient of several awards and honors including a National Science Foundation Predoctoral Minority Fellowship, a Rockefeller Archives Center Grant, a Smithsonian Predoctoral Fellowship at the National Museum of American History, and a University of California Pacific Rim Grant.

Lite pupu and refreshments will be provided

Please R.S.V.P.
212-966-3378
hawaiiculturalfoundation @ hotmail.com
Donations Much Appreciated
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000