Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Need translation help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  07:14:19 AM  Show Profile
I have been asked to try out for a radio program at a very small FM station in the Santa Cruz area of California that plays all Hawaiian Music 24 hrs a day. www.kapu.org Right now I'm just learning the ropes concerning how to push the buttons and how to speak into the mike correctly and so forth. If I can make the cut, I'll have a weekly program for 2 hrs playing anything I like. Although I want to play contemporary music, I want to also share a lot of the vintage and out of print music, from my collection, that I have on vinyl lp's. Sorta go back and forth between the old and the new music.

I've been thinking about a name for the show.

I have a dear friend that suggested calling it "Ma'anei, ma'o" which he says is a common Hawaiian expression that means "Then and Now".

Could I also say "Mele. Ma'anei, ma'o"?

I spoke with another Hawaiian language speaker last night and she suggested "Na mele o ka hope a keia" which she says means "Music, then and now".

So I'm asking the language experts here to help me out on this. What would be a suitable way of saying " Music, Then and Now" or "Music, Past and Present" in Hawaiian?

Maholo for your help.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2007 :  1:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
The band Ua did an album titled "Ma`o, Ma`ane`i (Then & Now)" a few years back. I think that's a nice name for a radio show that emphasizes a mix of classic and contemporary Hawaiian music. You also want the show's name to be something most listeners can recall and recite easily, however (as they spread the word of your show.)

Santa Cruz is yet another mainland city that loves and supports Hawaiian music; that's truly something to celebrate.

=== "Uncle" Gregg, co-host of "Hawai`i Radio Connection" on KBCS-FM and KXPA-AM, Seattle (www.hawaiiradioconnection.com) ===
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  09:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

I have a dear friend that suggested calling it "Ma'anei, ma'o" which he says is a common Hawaiian expression that means "Then and Now".

I spoke with another Hawaiian language speaker last night and she suggested "Na mele o ka hope a keia" which she says means "Music, then and now".

So I'm asking the language experts here to help me out on this. What would be a suitable way of saying " Music, Then and Now" or "Music, Past and Present" in Hawaiian?

Maholo for your help.

E aloha Norman,

My own suggestion would be to talk this over with Liko Puha and get his mana`o. He has fabulous resources available to help you find the best possible name for your show. You have a wonderful opportunity to provide an educational service to your community, so I think the greatest care should be taken to malama (cherish, develop) it.

Sometimes sayings which make sense within the cultural context of the islands do not translate well when removed from that context, and are misinterpreted and then promulgated in a way that detracts from an accurate understanding of the culture and language.

Sometimes idiomatic expressions, while an excellent shorthand for communication between people with a solid foundation in the language and culture, are not the best way to develop a foundation.

I rather like the suggestion: Na mele o ka hope a keia
Another possibility could be something like He Huaka`i Mele - mai ka wa mamua, mai keia la A Musical Journey, from the times before, to this day. (disclaimer: I am typing this off the top of my head, without research, so please check with Liko or someone equally studied before using!)

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
E aloha Norman -

I was discussing your ninao with my husband, Manu. He said, "For radio, the show title should be something short and catchy that a Mainland audience can pronounce." I thought that was very good advice.

So, while I was welding and thinking(staring into melted steel is very meditative, I write a lot of songs that way!) a possible title came to mind:

"Ho`oMele Hou!"
"Sing Anew!" Kind of a pun which could mean "Sing Again!" (an old song) or "Sing a New Song!".

Then the description in the advertisements could read something like: He huaka`i o na mele o Hawai`i o ka wa mamua a me ka wa hou. - A journey of Hawaiian songs of old times and new.

Of course, I would run this by someone like Liko Puha before making it official.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  1:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

E aloha Norman -

I was discussing your ninao with my husband, Manu. He said, "For radio, the show title should be something short and catchy that a Mainland audience can pronounce." I thought that was very good advice.

So, while I was welding and thinking(staring into melted steel is very meditative, I write a lot of songs that way!) a possible title came to mind:

"Ho`oMele Hou!"
"Sing Anew!" Kind of a pun which could mean "Sing Again!" (an old song) or "Sing a New Song!".

Then the description in the advertisements could read something like: He huaka`i o na mele o Hawai`i o ka wa mamua a me ka wa hou. - A journey of Hawaiian songs of old times and new.

Of course, I would run this by someone like Liko Puha before making it official.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Aloha e Leilehua,

That is a catchy and easy name, but I think it sounds too much like Bill Wynne's Ho'olohe Hou.

'Alika

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Aloha e Leilehua,

That is a catchy and easy name, but I think it sounds too much like Bill Wynne's Ho'olohe Hou.

'Alika

Ah, yes, if there is another show with such a similar name, it would not be good to appear to copy. I seldom listen to radio, so I am pretty ignorant as to what is currently on the air.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2007 :  5:40:42 PM  Show Profile
Mark, since KAPU is an LP station (low power) -- with broadcast area very limited (5-15 miles, right?) -- and since very few listeners in Freedom/Watsonville are proficient in the Hawaiian language, I would urge you to keep the title of your show simple. You want it to be something that the non-Hawaiian listeners can remember (yes!) and say easily themselves.

Don't worry that you might be repeating the title of some other Hawaiian music broadcast -- as long as it's not KKUP's "Aloha Friday" or KHDC's "Music of Hawai`i". The important thing is that your listeners be able to pronounce the title well enough to tell their friends to listen! 8-)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hula Rider

quote:
Aloha e Leilehua,

'Alika

Ah, yes, if there is another show with such a similar name, it would not be good to appear to copy. I seldom listen to radio, so I am pretty ignorant as to what is currently on the air.

Malama pono,
Leilehua

Part of me wants to let him speak for himself, but I guess I'll fill you in anyway. He's on this board, and his radio show plays online every Sunday on 50th State Radio, all the way from New Jersey. Figures that you haven't heard of it. Hahaha!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  8:23:37 PM  Show Profile
There is absolutely no way that I would ever name a show in such a way as to try and copy what Bill Wynne is doing. To do so would be disrespectful to a person that I have only the highest admiration and respect. Bill's show is the ultimate as far as I am concerned.

So far I'm leaning towards Retro's suggestion "Ma'o, ma'ane'i". Or Mele ma'o, mane'i".

Thanks for all the imput so far.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 09/10/2007 8:24:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2007 :  8:55:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Maholo for your help.
I know you really meant to say mahalo.

Are you intent on having the title of your show be all in Hawaiian, or might a Hawaiian-English title such as "Na Mele O Hawai'i: Then and Now" also work? I was thinking that it might be more attention-grabbing and meaningful to those not familiar with the Hawaiian language.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  07:30:08 AM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed, LOL and Mahaaaalo for the correction. Spell check dosen't seem to work for Hawaiian. As for your suggestion for the show title, I think it's a great idea. It brings in all the elements very well. Mahalo nui.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  09:40:43 AM  Show Profile
To make spell check work for Hawaiian words, all you have to do is type in the entire Pukui-Elbert dictionary into Word's custom dictionary. But still wouldn't be able to do kahako.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile
or go to www.wehewehe.org , and click on the symbols for kahako and 'okina

Puna
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  2:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Puna - I am glad you mentioned about wehewehe.org. Sometimes I have tried to cut and paste a word or a definition from wehewehe.org to a word document, but it does not copy over the kahako. It will put the `okina. For the letter that has kahako, it puts a blank space. There must be some software I need to do that. I know I have read here about using some kind of series of keyboard commands to be able to do it. I guess I need to print out a cheat sheet and keep it ina page protector right by the computer, because when I need to know how to do that, I never can find the message or I get too lazy to look. If I am printing out something to use in my scrapbooking, usually, I will hand scribe the kahako.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  2:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Part of me wants to let him speak for himself, but I guess I'll fill you in anyway. He's on this board, and his radio show plays online every Sunday on 50th State Radio, all the way from New Jersey. Figures that you haven't heard of it. Hahaha!

A Hawaiian music radio program from New Jersey wouldn't be adequately bizarre. Technically, I record the show in New Jersey and we broadcast it from Las Vegas.

As long as we're talking about the name, "Ho`olohe Hou" was spawned not of something Hawaiian, but of another of my obsessions: Frank Sinatra. Frank Sinatra named his Warner Brothers subsidiary label "Reprise" from the Italian musical term meaning "to play a theme again" but which he more loosely translated as "to hear again." So I considered the Hawaiian equivalent of Sinatra's loose translation of the Italian and ran it by Hawaiian language expert and composer Keith Haugen to ensure that the proposed title said what I meant to say and if he thought the name would resonate with listeners. We batted around other names for the program but ultimately returned to "Ho`olohe Hou." The double entendre now, of course, is that not only does the program focus on music not often heard anymore - but truly deserving to be heard again and again - but it also expresses my hope that it will become a program that listeners will turn to again and again.

I don't know Norm's feelings on this or what flavor his program is going to take, but as for "Ho`olohe Hou," despite that I sometimes feature pop and jazz music by Hawaiian musicians, I knew that the focus of the show would be on Hawaiian language compositions. So I felt it would be incongruous to have a Hawaiian language-themed program with an English language title. I also felt that an English language program name might be disrespectful to the haku mele who work so hard to preserve the Hawaiian language.

It's also fun to say "Ho`olohe Hou." Try it ten times fast in a row...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

mokupuni
Aloha

30 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  01:28:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit mokupuni's Homepage
quote:

I have been asked to try out for a radio program at a very small FM station in the Santa Cruz area of California that plays all Hawaiian Music 24 hrs a day. www.kapu.org Right now I'm just learning the ropes concerning how to push the buttons and how to speak into the mike correctly and so forth. If I can make the cut, I'll have a weekly program for 2 hrs playing anything I like. Although I want to play contemporary music, I want to also share a lot of the vintage and out of print music, from my collection, that I have on vinyl lp's. Sorta go back and forth between the old and the new music.

Maholo for your help.

Aue...

Mahalo e Mark for asking for help. Your terms "then and now" refer to physical locations not time.

Ma 'o = Over there
Ma 'ane'i - Over here

I will reply to subsequent posts when appropriate, but felt this first response was necessary.

Me ke kako'o,
Liko

'O au iho no,
Liko Puha

Edited by - mokupuni on 09/13/2007 01:31:22 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page