Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Copyright Infringement
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  6:08:50 PM  Show Profile
I still spin the occasional 78 on my Victorola (like vinyl turntables, another meduim that is tough to use if you want music while driving or jogging).

All the getting up to wind, rewind and change records reminds me what an innovation "long play" 33 1/3 albums were. With vinyl a guy would have at least a handful of songs on the sofa with a girl before having to get up and cross the room. What a mood-breaker! And the auto-changer was an undoubtedly important (but often overlooked) contributor to the baby boom . . .
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  08:49:21 AM  Show Profile
I still have albums Wanda & I bought on reel tapes. They once were available that way. We don't have an operating reel at the moment, though. We started taping our albums when our youngest was learning gymnastics. She never walked anywhere. She came busting out of her room to the living room, then cartwheeled herself to the kitchen or front door. If a record was playing, the needle jumped. She eventually learned to ask if a record or tape was playing before the tumbling started. And I learned to tape all new records the first time I played them. Later, we decided taping to avoid buying was wrong and stopped doing that.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  09:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I have no qualms about ripping off Sony, BMI, Angel, etc etc. If those mega organizations didn't try to screw us consumers in the first place I would feel different.

Ummm, I'm a BMI writer. BMI isn't a label, I'm guessing you meant BMG

I guess for me it's hard to know just how much stealing is acceptable.

Many people say stealing (err, copying) self-produced and self-made CDs is a no-no. What about so-called independant labels? Is it OK to steal from them? At waht size do you make the difference?

I've heard over and over again that people have no qualms about ripping off big corporations like Sony or BMG -- let's see, that would include Dancing Cat, wouldn't it? Oops.

But still, I kinda wonder where we draw the line. What about shoplifting from Wallmart? Is it OK to steal a gallon of gas from Shell? How about using Warren Buffett's ATM card to buy a tofu burger? Or Jimmy Buffett's?

Edited by - Mark on 09/24/2007 1:57:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  3:26:21 PM  Show Profile
That's why I said not OK to rip off da rich...same bad as ripping off anyone. Just cause they got lots kala doesn't make it OK. Pono is pono. You are or you ain't. Your choice.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000