Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 One Particular Harbor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2007 :  2:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aroha!

I wanted to know if anybody knows whether there's a translation for the Tahitian in this Jimmy Buffett song. I think it's like:

Iara, tena tura, a me aroha, te au nei.

Anybody know?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  08:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Ia ora te natura...........
Nature lives (life to nature)

E mea arofa teie ao nei....
Have pity for the earth (love the earth)

Ua pau te maitai no te fenua
Te zai noa ra te ora o te mitie.....
Bounty of the land is exhausted
but there's still abundance in the sea

Don't exactly know when or where I got this...nor how accurate it is. I printed the lyrics from a web-site some years ago and the translation was included.

Parrot Heads forever! haha

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:24:41 AM  Show Profile
Close to Hawaiian. Puakea once told a story of going to Tahiti and speaking Hawaiian and being understood.
If you take the time you can see where some letters could be switched. L for R, F for H, T for K, Natura would be a Tahitianized English word. Which is interesting because the other language in Tahiti is French.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile

My understanding is that Jimmy "borrowed" those words from
an existing Tahitian folksong. You might be able to find
the original (and possibly the rest of the lyrics) with
some diligent searching.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/08/2007 1:29:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  09:58:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Close to Hawaiian. Puakea once told a story of going to Tahiti and speaking Hawaiian and being understood.
If you take the time you can see where some letters could be switched. L for R, F for H, T for K, Natura would be a Tahitianized English word. Which is interesting because the other language in Tahiti is French.

Basic vocabulary - not grammar, just vocabulary - among all the Polynesian languages is eerily similar - showing how each is an outgrowth from the others. A kumu hula once showed me a comparative dictionary of Polynesian languages - look up the English word and see the equivalent in Hawaiian, Tahitian, Maori, Tongan, and others - and in each case the similarities were striking.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile
Noeau's point about French is interesting. Actually, "nature" is French, too, and English got it from the French. French got it from the Latin, "natura".
In addition, with French pronunciation, the final "e" is actually voiced lightly (easy to adapt to a final "a").
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo to all you guys! Great song. I think my favorite, however, would be "Cheeseburger In Paradise," "Margaritaville," or "Volcano." What's yours, for all you Jimmy fans out there?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:14:38 AM  Show Profile
http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WillDict-t1-body-d1-d10.html
Well, I pasted the phrase from Alika's post into the browser, and got the Maori Dictionary. That's a start, I reckon. As I understand, there's a lot of similarity to all the Polynesian/ Micronesian/ Melanesian languages. I don't know if this site will point to a whole song or not, but it's interesting to explore. Go to the home page, click on advanced search, and paste in the lyrics. I tried both spellings in the posts above. There are several thousand hits, applying to various words, but not the whole 1st phrase.It referenced Folk Song Collections from The Cook Islands, and probably other places. No translations, so far. But I've only spent 6-7 minutes.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 10/08/2007 11:37:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2007 :  11:38:26 AM  Show Profile
If this helps:

There is an organization in Tahiti with the same name as the first verse of the Tahitian lyrics:

Association pour la Protection de la Nature en Polynésie Française (Ia Ora Te Natura) (Association for Protection of Nature in French Polynesia), B.P. 3584, Papeete, Tahiti

There is also a poem written by Tahitian/Polynesian poet Henri Hiro, (who was a resident of Moorea when Jimmy visited), that "keys" on the same words, but I cannot find the poem. (and I cannot read french well enough to search for it intelligently). Henri has biographical write-up in the French wikipedia but once again my language skills are not good enough to decipher.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 10/08/2007 12:06:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Mahalo to all you guys! Great song. I think my favorite, however, would be "Cheeseburger In Paradise," "Margaritaville," or "Volcano." What's yours, for all you Jimmy fans out there?

Wow, there are so many of them...I think I have every Buffett CD there is, and that's a lot. Some of my favs:

Nobody Speaks To The Captain No More
What If The Hokey-Pokey Is All It Really Is About?

There's just too many. Floridays is one of my favorite albums though.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  2:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha,

I don't think I know those two songs you mentioned. Are they on albums that were made at the beginning of his career?

Oh, another one I really like is "It's Five O'clock Somewhere."

BTW, what album is the studio version on? I only have the live version from Hawai'i. Isn't that a great CD and DVD? I think that concert would have been so much fun to attend!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2007 :  3:53:45 PM  Show Profile
Volcano, You'll Never Work In Dis Bidness Again, and Boat Drinks. Something about the line: "This morning I shot 6 holes in my freezer; I think I've got cabin fever"
sums up my thoughts on winter perfectly.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  06:07:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Banana Republics (or anything by Steve Goodman)

Right on! - He is one of my favorite writer's too!!
(and passed away much too soon)

Mahope Kākou...
Go to Top of Page

justinalderfer
Aloha

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2007 :  04:54:33 AM  Show Profile
Being a Florida Boy I can relate to Jimmy all to well! By the way, "Pirate Looks at Forty" sounds the best in G major Taro Patch. I just missed meeting Jimmy on the island of Anegada in the British Virgin Islands a few years back. I would have loved to have played that for him in open tuning. Our new anthem in East Coast Central Florida is "Trying To Reason With Hurricane Season". One of my personal favorites.

Aloha oukou

ka loku mele kaona
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000