Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Back from Japan
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:04:22 AM  Show Profile
We just returned from a visit to Japan. The highlight of the trip was the friendly people we encountered during our travels in the country. Wherever we went, the locals watched out for us and were extremely helpful. We stayed in Tokyo for 5 days and in Kyoto for 4 days.

Tokyo was, as you might expect, a large city with multiple personalities. We used the subways, trains and country buses extensively. We successfully navigated our way to Mashiko (a small pottery making town 2-3 hours from Tokyo) and met many lovely people. We also visited many sites within Tokyo and made a trip to Kamakura. Our hotel in Tokyo, Keio Plaza in Shinjuku, was wonderful - probably the nicest hotel we've ever stayed in.

We took the Bullet Train to Kyoto - very plush.

Kyoto was great. It was old Japan - the opposite of Tokyo. It was fun to visit Gion and see the dozens of tourists chase the Geisha down the street to get a picture. We went on a tour of the city and visited Nara as well.

It was quite a culture shock not to be able to read any signs (in Japanese Kanji, Hiragana and Katakana). However it wasn't really necessary. We usually had the concierge at the hotel write our destinations in Kanji, etc for the day, in case we had to ask for help. The times we forgot to do this worked out OK too.

Alas, we found very little in the way of music - probably due to our hectic schedule. I've never walked so much in my life. It's a way of life in Japan. We found it a little disconcerting when crossing streets - you MUST look to the right first as they drive on the left in Japan. Also, we both thought that we could have spent a few more days there.

Dusty

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the photos, Dusty. I lived in Kyoto for a year, and except for functions where they were scheduled to be there, I never saw a maiko (an apprentice geisha, which is who you caught on film - you can tell by the long sash and the long sleeves) out "in the wild."

I was surprised at the number of signs in English on my and Retro's last trip about 3 years ago. I speak and read enough Japanese to get me into trouble, but Retro is unencumbered by that ability. He saw signs in English that I passed over while trying to parse out the Japanese.

We saw no signs for Hawaiian music in Kyoto, but saw at least a couple of places in Tokyo advertising it. I think one was in Roppongi, and the other may have been in Asakusa.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Dusty! Going somewhere like Japan, without knowing the language, is pretty adventuresome. I have long wanted to have the bravery and money to spend a few weeks in one of those small, exotic, lovely country inns by the sea - I think they are called ryokans. But, even going to The Capitol of the East - ToKyo, and the Capitol of the West - KyoTo, is something I find daunting. We have been to several countries, but always knew the language. Glad you two had such a pleasant time. Got more pix?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  10:57:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John

Hey Dusty,

Did you know you didn't have to go all the way to Japan for a Guinness?

(Actually, the brew has the classic color more like an old Rainier.)

Actually, it was this:

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  2:43:03 PM  Show Profile
But the Geisha has tennis shoes....

Anyone else going to Japan, one of our Taro Patch friends, Hideki Hattori, has a group called Tamashiro Market, that plays very good Hawaiian music. We have posted some you tube links for them here on TP earlier, maybe late July or early August.

How is that beer, Dusty? I think we can buy Sapporo here. I've seen it in restaurants, for certain.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  3:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
Dusty, that's a great shot of the gaijin gaping at the geisha (or more likely maiko). And the biru is pretty good, too. But, for me, it's not Guinness, or Black Mud as my unappreciative wife calls it.

Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2007 :  4:01:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

But the Geisha has tennis shoes....

Anyone else going to Japan, one of our Taro Patch friends, Hideki Hattori, has a group called Tamashiro Market, that plays very good Hawaiian music. We have posted some you tube links for them here on TP earlier, maybe late July or early August.

How is that beer, Dusty? I think we can buy Sapporo here. I've seen it in restaurants, for certain.

Nope. They were sandals:

The beer was much better than the standard Sapporo we get here.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  06:45:40 AM  Show Profile
Ryokan are actually just Japanese-style inns regardless of location, with tatami mat rooms and futon that you roll out to sleep on (think a much more comfortable sleeping-bag type bed, not the fold-out sofa things that we use in the West). Since most good tatami mats are padded underneath, this is not as uncomfortable as it might otherwise be. Some ryokan are fabulously expensive; some not so much, and most include a Japanese-style breakfast. Minshuku, which also tend to be tatami-matted and Japanese-style, are a more budget-minded option and tend to be run by families.

The maiko is wearing tabi, or split-toed socks, with her sandals, which makes it look like she's wearing tennis shoes. (Tabi are foot-specific - you cannot wear the right-footed tabi on your left and vice versa, but you can wear the shoes/sandals/geta on either foot.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Dusty,

Welcome back. Thanks for sharing some of your adventures. I have never been to Japan but would love to visit someday. Too bad you didn't have time to hook up with any taropatch.net members. There are a few in Japan. Sounds like it was a great trip.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  08:10:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Dusty, that's a great shot of the gaijin gaping at the geisha
Of course, Dusty was taking a photo too!

So he too, was one of the gaggle of geisha gaping gaijin's.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  08:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Momi, the ryokan I would like to go to are very small, very traditional, very hospitable, very lovely, very quiet, in very beautiful places, serve very delicious food and are very expensive. And I am very nuts.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

EastCoastTropics
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  08:45:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit EastCoastTropics's Homepage
Actually that's ME with the camera! Nah, just kidding! :D

Great shot of the Maiko. I love how even the back of her lower neck is so white. Stunning contrast to her black hair.

Lovena

Free Hawaii eCards!
Send an Aloha today!
http://hawaii-ecards.com
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  10:24:57 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally cited by a kindred spirit

Momi, the ryokan I would like to go to are very small, very traditional, very hospitable, very lovely, very quiet, in very beautiful places, serve very delicious food and are very expensive. And I am very nuts.

That makes both of us. My dream is to be able to stay at Hiiragiya, one of the top ryokan in Kyoto. My guess is it would set me back at least $700 per night.

I really will stop spouting off on this topic, but the neck was considered a very erotic spot, and the jagged "swallow's tail" design on the maiko's neck is meant to highlight that area.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2007 :  2:45:29 PM  Show Profile
Do maiko still wear green pigment on their lower lips to indicate youthfulness? Or did that go out of style along with the adoption of those high-rise zori? Can't see because that pic was taken from the back.

I love the notion that "maiko" was a term used for a "dancer" long ago.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000