Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian Quilts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2007 :  02:58:23 AM  Show Profile
I have been researching the origins of this beautiful art form in order to understand how it came to be. It just seemed odd to me that a tropical location such as Hawai`i would have need for quilts. I can certainly understand the New England connection, but it seemed to me that with the paucity of fabric with which to quilt and no compelling need for quilts in the climate, that the art form would have floundered.

The quilt designs are amazingly beautiful and intricate. The appliques are amazingly simple yet complex at the same time. They take their designs from Hawaiian culture, the bread fruit, the plumeria, the traditional kapa designs.

I found the following very interesting talk story about the quilting from the Poakalani website at: http://www.nvo.com/poakalani/historyofhawaiianquilting/
Traditions & Superstitions of Hawaiian Quilting
Quilts have always been part of my upbringing. Both my parents' families were quilters. Every place we went and every home we visited someone was always working on a quilt and because of this upbringing I've learned many traditions about Hawaiian quilts. So I would like to share with you some of those traditions.

Never Sit on a Hawaiian Quilt.

Did you know that you never sit on a quilt? When the quilts were
displayed on the beds they were admired, talked about and even
sofly touched but you never ever sat on the quilt. If you were tired
you carefully lifted up the edge of the quilt so you could sit or you
folded the quilt before you laid down. The quilt was treated with
the upmost respect and it was not until I finished my first quilt that
I understood why.

Many hours were spent making a quilt and in Hawaii most quilts
were made by only one person. It was believed that the quilt
embodied that person's spirit and that in showing respect for the
quilt it also showed respect for the person.

Quilts were not labeled only by the name of the design on the quilt
but also the person who made it. I can remember going to a
family's home and they would show us their quilts and say "Oh
that's Aunty Lei's Plumeria Quilt" or "that's Cousin Nani's Kahili
Quilt". The person's name was always associated with the quilt.

After finishing my own quilt after many many many long hours
my first reaction in displaying the quilt was, "If anyone sits on the
quilt I will personally strangle them." How's that for keeping the
tradition running in my family?

I also remember going to family gatherings and seeing all the quilts
elegantly displayed on the beds in every room and the wall
hangings graciously hung throughout the home. Actually the quilts
always added a special flavor to the gathering.

It was not until I was older that I finally asked my mom why the
quilts were always part of the family parties. She explained to me
that all the quilts we owned were made by someone special, a
family member or friend and that the quilts were given with love.
She said during the family gatherings the quilts are displayed so
that when people look at the quilt they not only admire the quilt
but they always remember the person who made it. I was told that
pictures are not the only form of remembrance but so are the
quilts and that one day when I'm long gone from this world and
my quilt is displayed in the home I too will be remembered.

Some of the other traditions/superstitions that I have heard over the years are:

After a quilt is completed the quilter will sleep with the quilt
for one night and then it is given to that special person whom
it was made for.

When a person is ill it is said that if they sleep with a quilt all
the love from that quilt will help heal them.

Never make human figures on a quilt. It is believed that the
figures will walk and visit you at night.

Never take a quilt pattern and change its design to make it
your own. It was considered stealing. Each quilt design was
made special for a particular person and in stealing it you
have stolen part of their spirit.

All I've got to say is that if I had one of those beautiful quilts and it cost me that much $$$, I'd have to dot your eye if you sat on my quilt.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  3:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Thats why it is sad that some stores have quilts made in the Philipines and are being sold as genuine Hawaiian patterns. Having said that it does put a quilt within reach of moderate income earners, However be aware that these quilts are ersatz.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2007 :  5:11:25 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, this web site I posted speaks to the issue of quilts being made in other locales, cheaper, not as good workmanship, and certainly not the mana. I have looked at some when in Hawai`i, and all I can do is drool. They are so beautiful -- not only the applique patterns, but the intricate stitching for the quilting part of it. I think they are so beautiful. My grandma used to quilt -- patchwork style, just random squares of fabric from whatever left over stuff she could get -- old overalls, jeans, work pants, whatever. And she never wasted a button or a still working zipper from anything that wore out. She would cut them off and stash them away until she needed them. At least she never darned socks (ha-ha - we were barefooted most of the time). Paul's mom has darned socks, though and still has one of those thingies that you use to stick inside the sock. When I was a kid I was so embarrassed to have to use these quilts. I wanted a pretty, flowery store bought bed spread. Oh what I would give for one of those old quilts now. Too soon old, too late smart.

If I had a Hawaiian quilt, I would be afraid to put it on the bed. What if Oni`Oni aacked up a hairball on the bed?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/17/2007 5:12:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  11:32:01 AM  Show Profile
Here's what my quilting friend Rosemary, who is also an `ukulele player, born and raised on the West Coast, said in response to Wanda's post:

"About Hawaiian quilts: I am familiar with Poakalani, and have read all of the facts you included. When you look at the old kapa designs, there is a direct line from them to the designs of Hawaiian quilts. The women from New England taught the Hawaiians the use of
needle and thread. Their quilting tradition was that of patchwork -- they were frugal and reused old fabric. The Hawaiians had no such old fabric, and so made their quilts with "whole cloth."

For many, many, years, it was not considered proper to
share the designs or techniques with outsiders (haoles
like me). But that tradition has broken down with the publication of patterns and books of quilts. I learned the fine points from a woman who lives here (but lived in Hawaii for many years), Nancy Lee Chong, a wonderful teacher. She gave me the confidence to
design and make my own quilts. The ones I have done have
been designed by me, based on looking at many quilts, and
books of photos of the flora of Hawaii."

I've seen pictures of Rosemary's quilts - she does beautiful work.

It's interesting that Rosemary's comments about teaching of quilting to outsiders seems to echo the history of teaching slack key as well.

Also - the need for quilts, like the perception of cold, is a relative thing. I remember a few winters ago, my parents in Hawai`i, Retro and I, and Retro's daughter in the Midwest were all cold at the same time at different temperatures. Mom and Dad were cold when at temps hit the low 60's. Retro and I in Seattle were cold when temps hit the low 30's. Retro's daughter was cold at sub-zero temps.
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2007 :  4:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
When we are in hawaii looking at Quilts is a favorite past time for me as well. My background is Amish and menonite. My Greatmother and Gandmothers were all quilters and I have many quilts made by them. They always made wedding ring quilt for each child it was started on the day you were born and made from fabrics from your child hood clothing as well as from all members oof your family so that you are forever surounded by your family. My quilts are patchwork and filled with love and are beautiful to me but isn't it interesting that what I crave and most admire is the artistic Hawaiian Quilts that show the beauty of Nature and Life of the Islands. I may not be able to have a Hawaiian Quilt upon my beds but I do have many quilted pillows and wall hangings. Maybe some day in retirement I will relearn the art of hand stitching that I did in my youth with my Grandmothers.

As far as being Chilly and needing quilts on Hawaii. I have spent some very COLD nights in Volcano and Waimea where a nice warm quilt would have been a real treasure!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  02:24:59 AM  Show Profile
Momi and Nani,

I ditto yo comments on how COLD it is in Hawaii! In Hilo, da temps get down into da mid-60's winter time and ho, we go buss out all da blankets, turn on da heaters, an anyting we can do fo stay warm. Wen da high temps stay only like 70, we gotta wea jackets and sweaters ALL DAY! Weneva I go back, I always switch back to da local temp range, so even if I stay from CA da past couple yeas, I still get cold on da windward sides. Quilts is real nice fo look at AND use :-) Keep warm eh!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  05:37:00 AM  Show Profile
My parents stay visitin' us in Seattle right now, and when I tole dem about this post, my dad reminded me of one time Retro and I went home to visit. I was making fun of dem 'cause dey were cold and was only in da high 60's, low 70's. By da next day, I was cold too - my blood wen thin out real quick! Moral of da story - no make fun of yo' parents - goin' come back to bite you on da okole!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  07:49:25 AM  Show Profile
Momi - I hope you guys are OK. We heard on the news that there were bad storms in your neck of the woods. But hey, you got Retro to keep you warm, yeah?

The Hawaiian quilts are so magnificent...the patterns, the colors, the workmanship. And I have no problem with reticence of sharing the designs or art form. You see, the Hawaiians, like with the guitar, took something that came to them from outsiders and made it uniquely Hawaiian. They added their love in seeing the beauty of nature into the designs for the quilts, their love and respect for the `aina, their aloha and their mana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2007 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
High winds for a few hours, a little quick hail, lots of brief-but-heavy rain --- nothing too bad in our neighborhood. Certainly unusual weather for the Kane`ohe contingent, though. Off to a kanikapila tonight!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000