Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Hoku Zuttermeister on Grammy ballot
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  04:43:17 AM  Show Profile
The following is from a newsletter from Makaha Sons. Congratulations to Hoku, such a nice young man and so very talented.

The Makaha Sons are very proud announce that their protégé, Hoku Zuttermeister, with his album 'Aina Kupuna, is listed on the nomination ballot for the Grammy Award for Best Hawaiian Music Album. As many of you have attended the Sons' recent performances, you have seen and heard first-hand the talent Hoku carries. 'Aina Kupuna is Hoku's first release as a solo artist and has been received with great critical and commercial success.

The Sons are asking any of you that are on the voting rolls of NARAS to please consider nominating "'Aina Kupuna" for the 50th Annual Grammy Awards Final Ballot when you receive your nomination ballots this week.

For those of you who have not purchased Hoku’s album, you can find audio samples of his music on his website at:

http://www.hokuzuttermeister.com/album.html

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  6:17:58 PM  Show Profile
As with the annual Na Hoku Hanohano Awards, voters are first sent a list of all qualified albums which have been submitted -- and this year's Grammy list includes 48 entries (holy cow!!) in the "Hawaiian Album" category. Mahalo nui loa to Keola Donaghy for posting the list on nahenahe.net!
http://mauicast.net/nahenahe/?page_id=2581

Additionally, there are island recording entries listed in two other Grammy categories:
"Contemporary Folk/Americana": John Cruz (One of These Days), Peter Apo and the Rainbow Band (My Back Pages-The Folk Years); "Traditional Pop": Matt Catingub Orchestra Of Hawai`i & Various Artists (Return To Romance).

Grammy voters will now select the required number of nominees within each category (for Na Hoku Awards, it's 5 per category). The results of that selection process will then constitute the official nomination ballot -- and Keola notes that those final nominations will be announced at a Grammy press conference on Dec 6.

--auntie maria
mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile
Here are those put on the ballot to be voted so they can be on the ballot.

Notice all our TP friends on there -- like, hmmm, for instance, DARIN LEONG! Andy - what you think about that!

Auntie Marian - or anyone in the know -- by what criteria are those judged as being worthy of a Grammy? Is there specific selection criteria or is it merely what the voters deemed to be "swell"?
Ahumanu - THE GATHERING
Keola Beamer - KA HIKINA O KA HAU (THE COMING OF THE SNOW)
Teresa Bright - HAWAIINAWA
Tony C. - NA HULA PUNAHELE
Tia Carrere - HAWAIIANA
Cindy Combs - SUNNY RAIN
Ken Emerson & Friends - SLACK & STEEL - KAUA’I STYLE
Manny K Fernandez - HAWAIIAN MEMORIES
Napua Greig - PIHANA
Halau O Kekuhi - HI`IAKA I KA POLI O PELE
Hapa - LIVE TOKYO NEW YORK
Raiatea Helm - HAWAIIAN BLOSSOM
Ho’omalie - ONLY YOU
Mike Kaawa - KANIKAPILA - LIVE!
Keoki Kahumoku - RISE & SHINE
Kamau - LIVE FROM THE LO`I
Donald Kaulia -SWEET WAHINE
Keale - KAHIKINA
Weldon Kekauoha - KA LEHUA ‘ULA
Ried Kapo Ku - HERE COMES THE SUN
Tony Ku - KING’S SONGS OF HAWAI’I
Darin Leong - FIVE YEARS AND MANY MILES
Mango - HAPA HAOLE HULAS
Na Palapalai - KA PUA HAE HAWAI`I
‘O Wai La - WEHIWEHI HAWAI’I
Cyril Pahinui - HE’EIA
Brittni Paiva - BRITTNI
Cody Pueo Pata - HE ALOHA …
Pekelo - HANA BY THE SEA
Jeff Peterson - PURE SLACK KEY
Pilioha - PILIOHA
Steve Sano - SONGS FROM THE TARO PATCH
Greg Sardinha - HAWAIIAN STEEL VOL. 4 - ARTISTRY OF GREG SARDINHA
Sean & Robi S & R
Kalani Smythe - KALANI…LIVE
Alden Tokuzato - KAIMANA HILA
Vaihi - NAVE NAVE
Kelekona Vanderford - SIMPLY SLACK KEY
Various Artists - ALOHA FESTIVALS FALSETTO CONTEST WINNERS, VOL. 8
Various Artists - ALOHA SLACK KEY A TRIBUTE TO GABBY “POPS” PAHINUI
Various Artists - HALELU SONGS OF CHRISTMAS FROM HAWAI`I
Various Artists - HAWAI’I UNDER THE RAINBOW
Various Artists - HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR FESTIVALS VOL. 2 - KIHOALU NO KA OI
Various Artists - KAPI’OLANI - LEGACY HULA, VOLUME 2
Various Artists - SONGS FROM HAWAI’I ISLAND
Various Artists - TREASURES OF HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR
Neal Yamamura - MY SERENITY 047.
Hoku Zuttermeister - ‘AINA KUPUNA 048.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  06:58:02 AM  Show Profile
While there is indeed established criteria for eligibility in the Hawaiian Grammy category (50% Hawaiian language if vocal; no requirement if all-instrumental) -- there is absolutely no judging criteria in place once that first list goes out to the voters. No criteria for the final ballot, either.

And very few of the voters know anything about Hawaiian music, let alone the language.

Argh.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  07:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Ah, well, Auntie - we've gone round-and-round on this one for years, as you well know ('cause you've been in the middle of it all.) It's not likely to change, so we should celebrate the achievement of even getting a Hawaiian category recognized by The Recording Academy. It's more visibility for the genre (which encompasses many, many genres, of course), it helps a bit with album sales for the artists, it's an opportunity to celebrate; there are few "states" that have a distinct musical industry so recognized at a national level.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well, I wish all our Taropatch `ohana lots of luck. As Auntie Maria says, it's the Dec. press conference that all eyes will be on. I am keeping my favs to myself.

Sadly, the voters do not seem to know much about Hawaiian music. On the other hand, I listen to lots of Hawaiian music and have only heard 20 of the 48 eligible albums.

On a side note, I was listening to Matt Catingub Orchestra Of Hawai`i & Various Artists this weekend. I was having fun listening to tracks and trying to guess who the guest artist was. There was one song that came on and I said, "Whoa, who is that singing?" It was Eric Gilliom. Braddah can sing.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  08:18:21 AM  Show Profile
Mele.com link
Eric is singing "The More I See You" and oh, yeah, mighty romantic. One of those ho`onipo songs in the way Barry White does them ho`onipo songs. Mood music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Notice all our TP friends on there -- like, hmmm, for instance, DARIN LEONG! Andy - what you think about that!

Auntie Marian - or anyone in the know -- by what criteria are those judged as being worthy of a Grammy? Is there specific selection criteria or is it merely what the voters deemed to be "swell"?
Ahumanu - THE GATHERING
Tia Carrere - HAWAIIANA
Cindy Combs - SUNNY RAIN
Napua Greig - PIHANA
Ho’omalie - ONLY YOU
Keale - KAHIKINA
Mango - HAPA HAOLE HULAS
Cyril Pahinui - HE’EIA
Brittni Paiva - BRITTNI
Pekelo - HANA BY THE SEA
Pilioha - PILIOHA
Sean & Robi S & R
Vaihi - NAVE NAVE

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by donkaulia

quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Ahumanu - THE GATHERING
Tia Carrere - HAWAIIANA
Cindy Combs - SUNNY RAIN
Napua Greig - PIHANA
Ho’omalie - ONLY YOU
Keale - KAHIKINA
Mango - HAPA HAOLE HULAS
Cyril Pahinui - HE’EIA
Brittni Paiva - BRITTNI
Pekelo - HANA BY THE SEA
Pilioha - PILIOHA
Sean & Robi S & R
Vaihi - NAVE NAVE

MISSING CAZ CHRISTMAS & LT SMOOTH IN THE POP CATEGORY

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  02:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

While there is indeed established criteria for eligibility in the Hawaiian Grammy category (50% Hawaiian language if vocal; no requirement if all-instrumental) -- there is absolutely no judging criteria in place once that first list goes out to the voters. No criteria for the final ballot, either.

And very few of the voters know anything about Hawaiian music, let alone the language.

Argh.

So?

We should just be thankful that this style is getting recognized nationally.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  06:54:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
CHEERS! To all 50 entries this year! Just to make the first list is honorable. Just a note from my producer Milton Lau. All of the recordings released this year gets screened by the Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Grammy Awards Committee which has two local people from Hawaii that are elected as the Board of Govenors - Charles Brotman and Alan Yamamoto. There are 30 Govenors that screened more than 300 recordings released in the Hawaiian category from around the world this year narrowed down to 50 entries. Five (5) will be selected as Grammy Nominees in the Hawaiian Category on December 6, 2007. The Grammy will be awarded on Sunday, February 10, 2007 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The other 28 Board of Governors are indeed established publishers, producers and artists from around America. There is only ONE Grammy Award for the Hawaii category. The 15,000 plus voting members of the Grammy will decide the Hawaii winner come February 10, 2007. There is criticism 'bout the process and how lopsided the last three Grammy Awards favored 'Slack Key' over other potential albums in the same category. This is where these 'CRITICS' need to 'JOIN' the membership to voice their concerns and opinions in establishing more than 'ONE' category. For me,
Slack Key represents music from Hawaii. This is what the members from around the world is attracted to and their vote decides who gets the award. Ki ho alu lives and deserves this recognition.

Mahalo

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  07:12:19 AM  Show Profile
Don - I agree with you that the award in this genre is chosen by those without much, if any, knowledge and understanding of Hawaiian music. Slack key seems, though, to work very hard in promoting itself on the mainland, where, honestly, they get more exposure to the folks who could possibly vote.

Funny you should write in at this time as I am listening to "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Festivals - Volume II, listening to some swell musician playing a mele called "Manta Ray". Pretty good music, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  07:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Mahalo!

LOL....Manta Ray..just LT Smooth & Myself in Open C tuning
Wrote this ballad when I first moved to Kona. My wife gave me the idea...smooth jazzed style. Thanks for the comment.

Just a thought,

If ALL of us members of Taropatch.net join the Pacific Northwest Chapter and gain the majority of voting members to the Board of Govenors, wouldn't we dominate and control future balloting and add more categories for Hawaii music? Just a cool thought that might work in the future!

Mahalo!

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  08:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by donkaulia

If ALL of us members of Taropatch.net join the Pacific Northwest Chapter and gain the majority of voting members to the Board of Govenors, wouldn't we dominate and control future balloting and add more categories for Hawaii music? Just a cool thought that might work in the future!

Well, you have to live in the region covered by the PacNW Chapter (which includes Hawai`i) to join it - but as a voting member of that Chapter, I've been encouraging ALL Hawaiian musicians with recorded material available to join the Recording Academy. I keep hearing flimsy reasons for not doing so, yet those same people still complain about the Grammy process.

By all means, get involved and influence the future; those of us already into it await the rest of your voices!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000