Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Kukahi - Keali`i Reichel Live in Concert DVD
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  2:29:01 PM  Show Profile
The mele man came to our house today and delivered a host of wonderful music and a superb DVD. This DVD is a celebration of hula, chant and song by Keali`i and friends film at the Blaisdell Concert Hall on Sdptember 24, 2006.

You may choose subtitles in English or Hawaiian. If you want to understand the Hawaiian words, choose the English option and the mele will be translated for you. If you want to learn the Hawaiian words to sing along, choose the Hawaiian option.

The show begins with traditional chants asking permission to enter and a chant to welcome the visitors. Plenty of hula kahiko, both wahine and kane. Dancing is done by Halau Ke`alaokamaile and done well.

Of particular note is "Kanaka o Ke Kai" which is a chant offered before going fishing to ensure a good catch.

How exciting it was for Paul and I to see and hear two particular songs -- Maunaleo and the mele ma`i "Ko Ma`i `Auka Kula La a Keu". These are the two which Keali`i taught at the Northcoast Hula Workshop back in 2006. He tells the story of this particular mele ma`i, likening Leleiohoku's ma`i to a heavy, large, precious brick of gold. It was way cool to see dancing done to these two mele that Paul and I took part in learning here in Cleveland.

Also, you may recall that some time back I had a bit of a mystery with a computer glitch at work and soome mysterious Hawaiian lyrics that printed out on my work computer. I did not know the song and asked for Taro Patch folks to help me. We subsequently found out that the song as "Papakolea", and that is on this DVD as well as a part of the bonus tribute to Uncle George Holokai. You will also see Puakea Nogelmeier dancing hula in the Uncle George tribute.

There is something on this DVD to suit everyone. Hula, `oli, contemporary songs, talk story, beautiful photography, beautiful hula costumes and beautiful women. Good guitar playing and singing.

And chicken skin at the end when they all sing "Hawa`i Aloha".

Took a long time to get here, but definitely worth the wait. If you didn't order it yet, I suggest you may want to do so.

It is a treasure.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  6:56:48 PM  Show Profile
FYI to those who are awaiting delivery of their order for the HD-DVD -- release date has now been moved to early December, due to production issues.

It'll be worth the wait...honest!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  8:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I can't to get it because I was at that concert when Keali'i Reichel was performing on September 24, 2006!

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  5:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
E Alana e, you are so lucky! I don't like you anymore. No, jk. Hahaha! I'll be ordering that one for sure, as I've said everywhere else that it has been discussed.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000