Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Not Hawaiian Music (yet), but my son is touring
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2007 :  8:47:14 PM  Show Profile
My son Corey Hendriks, whom some of you have met at George's and/or Keola's workshop, just graduated from the Musician's Institute in Hollywood, CA. A week later he was invited to go on tour with the Heavy Metal Band "On the Surface". (Sigh...)

(I would invite you to visit their MySpace site, but there are some four-letter words in there that aren't very polite...)

They are touring and played to a sold-out crowd last night in the Boston area. Tonight they are playing in Boston proper. He phoned me while sitting around in "the van", waiting for his headlining band to go on.

While he is doing metal now, he assures us that within a couple of years he will probably go Hawaiian. He grew up listening to Gabby, Keola, George, etc. He is so good on that guitar, I have no doubt that he'll zoom way past many of us who try to play slack.

I am excited about this because 2 years ago this boy was hopelessly lost and had no hope for a future and no will to live. Music saved him.

Gratefully,

Julie

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  01:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Julie - I wish your son the best of luck. Life on the road is tough, so when he gets down about it, tell him to hang in there. And wear ear protection.

If he has a foundation of Hawaiian music, he will come back to it. As well, it will influence everything he does, even if he is not performing Hawaiian music. It is something that "infects" the heart, and no getting rid of this "bug".

Once again, congratulations to you and your son. Miracles do happen.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  04:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Big hugs and congratulations to your son! (And to Mom for sticking with him!)

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  06:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Julie,

I found the myspace page... OTS's music is mellower than the music I used to play. Thanks for sharing. Congrats to Corey for setting a goal, getting his education (i.e. listening to mom and dad) and chasing his dream.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile

Yes - good luck to Corey on his tour and musical endeavors...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  08:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Cory came to the Aloha Camp last year-- along with his solid body axe. He's a dedicated guy -- just about any hour of the day you could find him sitting down by the beach practicing.

My fav comment -- I noticed his little amp and commented on it. He replied, "It's my mom's..."

I don't know about you, but I think that's way cool.

Send him my blessings, Julie.

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  11:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Yup Mark, way cool. Way cool Mom.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  12:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Very cool news Julie! Should Corey and his bandmates book any gigs in NYC please let us know. Would love to see them.
Aloha,
Tommy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000