Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 GAS Stories (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  08:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Well I’m sure you’ve all heard of “GAS” (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) but this thread is about the natural progression and conclusion of that common guitar player malady. Let’s hear your story about how you ended up with your favorite guitar, or any other guitar for that matter. Here is my somewhat longish contribution actually about three guitars:

Like most men my age (62), I played in a rock band during my high school and college years. But I sold all of my instruments and equipment when life became more serious after getting married and starting an architectural firm with a couple of other guys. I never played the guitar much after that and didn’t even own one for over 20 years, although I listened to a lot of slack key and thought about learning every now and then. In the early 90’s, I got interested again and asked my Dad if I could have a very old and beat up (no strings, finish almost completely worn off, a couple of cracks, one thumb-sized hole in the side, and a little termite damage) Martin 000-16 that had been sitting in his closet as long as I can remember. I took it to Island Guitars in Honolulu and had the cracks, hole and damage repaired and it sounded terrific even though it still looked pretty bad! Around that time, Ron Loo started his slack key teaching series on Hawaii Public Television and I became hooked. I gave that guitar to my son in a few years ago and it still sounds great.

After receiving a terrific bonus at the end of a particularly good year (1995) at my architectural firm, I asked my wife if I could buy myself a “nice” guitar. She of course said yes and I started looking at all the shops in town. In my era, whenever anyone talked about acoustic guitars, Martin was usually the name everyone longed for and as I started looking, I really intended to buy a new Martin. At Island Guitars, they recommended that I try some Taylor guitars and I was immediately blown away by both the sound and the playability. I went home with a rosewood and spruce 812-C which I still have today.

Since then, like nearly all guitar players, I always look at every guitar shop I pass and I must have tried out dozens of guitars and every brand imaginable over the subsequent years but I’ve never come across one that I absolutely “had to have”. That is, until December of last year. There is a guitar salesman that I became friendly with at the largest music and guitar store here in Olympia called Music 6000. I go there so often that he knows me by name and knows my style of music and the kind of guitars I like. He checks all the guitars coming into the store and he later told me that when he first saw that guitar, the hair on his arms stood up (chicken-skin, as we islanders would say) and he immediately thought of me. I got a phone call from him in early December and he told me that he had just got a guitar in that I might want to take a look at. He told the other salesmen that they couldn’t sell that guitar until I first saw it. Somehow, he knew that I would like it. I told him that I wasn’t in the market for a new guitar (by then I already had four) but that I would come down and take a look. When I arrived, he brought out a Taylor GS with beautifully figured Hawaiian Curly Koa back and sides and a Sitka Spruce top. From the moment I laid my eyes on it, I was in love. And the second I picked it up and played a few notes, I was in heaven and knew that I had to have it. I made a call to my dear wife (bless her heart) and the GS went home with me.

Though the guitar sounded great from the first notes I played, it sounds even better now. It has a very deep but not overpowering bass and very clear but not piercing high notes. The volume is pretty even across and up and down the fingerboard and it responds well to a light or hard touch depending on what you want. It felt very comfortable in my hands immediately and the action and playability has been superb without any adjustments. The sound has mellowed and deepened somewhat, though not dramatically, during the time I’ve owned it. It sounds especially good to my ears in drop C tuning. I play it almost daily and it seems like I fall in love again every time that I do. According to Taylor, they were supposed to make 175 of these, but had only made about 50 at the time that I bought it.

Okay, now let's here yours!

Aloha,
John A.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  10:29:32 AM  Show Profile
My first experience to guitar playing came as a teen-ager in the mid to late 60's. I had a best friend from school who lived in the projects. During the summer, the rec center in the projects offered guitar lessons and included was a cheap Harmony guitar. All us girls who hung together took the lessons, especially after we saw the instructor, who was ever so cute and barely out of school himself. We learned "Blowin' in the Wind", "House of the Rising Sun" and "Puff the Magic Dragon". Then one fateful day, my girlfriend's cousin came to visit. Guess who...right! It was Paul. I never thought too much about him after that, just kept playing the guitar and wanted to grow up to be Joan Baez. Then one night my drunk father came home from the bar and a hateful, mean mood. He deliberately picked up my guitar and smashed it to bits. I was devastated. I found a bit of work to do at the local neighborhood center, doing office work, mimeographing and filing to work off the price of a new Harmony that they gave me in trade. One week worth of work after school to get the guitar. I do not even know what ever happened to that guitar. Eventually, I took greater notice of Paul after I came home from college and he came home from Viet Nam. and the rest, as they say is history. I relinquished my interest in playing guitar to Paul, who was so good. He now, has a kaljillion junk instruments because anyone who finds one on the curb on garbage day brings them to him. But he has a couple of good ones, as well. His Simon & Patrick, we bought for him after I got an insurance settlement from Chi-Chi's Restaurant from getting salmonella.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  09:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Great guitar stories! John, your story and mine have a some uncanny similarities.

I grew up learning to play on my dad's 1947 Martin oo-17 which is now one of the most precious things I own. So many memories with that guitar and the only real thing my dad was able to hand down to me. I recently had it restored to playing condition, leaving all the "beauty" marks as they were. I did have 2 holes repaired though. Talk about "opening up" this one has had plenty of time for that. It sounds way more mature and beautiful than any new oo-17 I've tried.

About 10 years ago, my mom gave me a thousand dollars. Knowing that my mom was terminally ill, I wanted to use that money for something that would always remind me of her and stay in the family. I struggled for months with ideas on how to spend this money. Then it hit me one day. My mom and dad divorced when I was 2 and I never really knew my mom until the last couple of years of her life. I did remember though that she bought my dad the Martin oo-17 before I was born. That was it! I would use the money to buy a new Martin, which is something I always dreamed of. Both of my boys were playing so I knew that it would always stay in the family. I took my oldest son with me to pick out the new guitar. This music store also sold Taylors which didn't make it easy to make a decision between the two. Ultimately the Martin name won out. I think my long time dream of owning a new Martin, and my unfamiliararity with Taylor, was the clincher.

At the time, that was my dream guitar.

Playing guitar was something that I only did occasionally...too busy raising a family and working - just like John - and playing basketball...a lot of basketball. In the 3 1/2 years we've been in Bend, I have been spending a lot more time with the guitar, taking it more seriously and really enjoying it. I also began to experiment more with finger style playing, a sound that I've always loved. While the Martin was great for my old style, that is, kinda Bluegrassy/Carter Family style, rarely venturing beyond the 3rd fret, I came to the conclusion that the narrower neck of the Martin did not fit well with my fat fingers and the new style I was embracing. My thoughts were confirmed after spending some time with the Seagull guitar I bought my younger son. It's amazing how much difference 1/16 of an inch can make in playability.

I handed the Martin down to my oldest son. He's a musician and needed a better quality guitar for shows and recording. That guitar is ssssooo sweet, and was hard to let go. It's in good hands though...hands with long slim fingers I might add. I replaced it with a Seagull just like one I bought my younger son. Although this is a nice guitar, I have a new dream, and that is to own a Taylor. The Seagull will get me by for now, but like John I have fallen in love with the Taylor line. The neck width fits my hand better and they are just awesome sounding guitars. I recently learned about the GS from their web-site and am anxious to find one and give it a try. It'll probably take me a year or so to save up enough cash to do it, but I'm tucking away all the info, such as what John just shared, so I can identify the model that I can obsess over, till that day comes. Of course, ultimately, sound and playability is what will be the deciding factor

The wife and I are heading to Portland in a couple of weeks so I'll have to make the time to do a little shopping. Although I'm not ready to buy, my oldest boy is coming up from LA to help us celebrate our 30th anniversary and I value his input tremendously. He was there to help me choose the Martin, which is of course his now, and I'm sure he will enjoy helping me choose the new guitar of my dreams. Kinda' like deja vu all over again, only this time with a Taylor as the object of my desire.

It's amazing how personal a guitar can be, and what a good friend it can become. Ssssooo good for the soul. For me, it has replaced basketball as my #1 stress relief, although it doesn't keep me in nearly as good of shape.

John, congratulations on finding that special instrument. I hope to hear it one day....hopefully after I buy mine so I won't be drooling too much over yours. haha

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 10/28/2007 09:18:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  10:14:30 AM  Show Profile
I keep a tight controll on GAS. I have to; if I allow it to run rampant, the Dulcimer/ Banjo forms of the disease will go along with it. I started with my brother's cheapy while he was in the service. When he was due home on leave, I dredged Dad's old nylon string out of the attic. It was missing 3 or 4 strings, so I bought new strings and strung it up.Too bad I didn't know nylon from steel. Them old black diamonds eventually pulled the bridge off. I bought a new bridge and fixed it. No clamps, it eventually came off, also. Fixed it again, now it's crooked. Plays in tune on the bass strings, but the 1st &2nd go sharp as you go up the neck. What was that about "Don't try this at home"? Along the way I bought an EKO 12 string. Fell in love with that sound & had to have it. Should have played more. I was single, living at home, banking a whole pay every 2 weeks. Could have had Martin, Gibson, Guild, or anything. Eventually, Wanda bought me my Simon & Patrick. Nothing within double the price sounds better.But I've heard some Taylors, and Doc Watson's Gallagher, that make me yearn for a lottery win. And those Grimes Keola Beamer plays! I don't think anything sounds better, at least on recordings. I have to wonder if studio set up makes part of the difference. At least, that's what I convinced myself, to keep from lusting for one.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile
Wanda: Can you still play those three songs you mentioned? We must be the same age because I learned those too and can still play them! And do you still have that Harmony guitar?

rendesvous1840: I know what you're saying......it seems that GAS is spreads rapidly and transfers into all kinds of areas. It has infected the power tool and golf club portions of my brain too.

Kurt: That was a great story and you're right.....it does have a lot of similarities to mine. Have you ever been to any of the Taylor guitar roadshows sponsored by some music stores? They usually free, they have all of the latest models displayed and an artist who can make them sing. The last one that my son and I went to at Music 6000 was with Wayne Johnson of Manhattan Transfer and man could he make some beautiful music with all the different guitars! He was a really nice guy to and full of great stories and information.

You're right about the guitar being very personal and a friend too. It is also a terrific stress reliever. I kept one in my office during all my years at work.

I'm curious about your anniversary......my wife and I will be celebrating our 34th on November 9th.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  5:33:32 PM  Show Profile
John - I haven't tried to play a guitar in years and years. I do not still have the guitar. I can't even remember what ever happened to it. I musta left it at my parents' house when I got married... 35 years ago.
My Ma got sick with cancer in 1977 and moved back to W. Va. because all hillbillies want to go "home" to die. Then when my father retired, he moved back down there, too. Lord knows what ever happened to the guitar. After Paul and I married, there was no way I could keep up with him on guitar. Eventually I bought a used spinet piano (Baldwin Acrosonic) but sold it after I had kids and I couldn't play in peace without a kid wanting to sit next to me and bang on the piano. It upset me terribly that I couldn't have two seconds to myself to play the piano. Now that I look back on it, those could have been wonderful moments with my girlies instead of me being a hateful shrew about it. Eventually, many years later, I bought a Yamaha Clavinova which is a pretty cool gadget. I got it mostly to play Christmas songs at Christmas time-. Now I can barely plunk out a tune due to the peripheral neuropathy I have in my hands due to diabetes. Cannot stretch the fingers very far apart, and sometimes, they don't want to move when I want them to.

But, tomorrow my new Kala `ukulele is coming home to Mama. And a new era begins.......

At least Paul is not into power tools and golf clubs. I think he did spend lots of $$$ for his banjo, made by Pete Smakula, who is pretty well renown in these parts. (Well, to ME it seemed like lots of $$$). Pete retired from running a music store called Goose Acres and building and fixing instruments...to ride a motorcycle. Yikes.

And both our girls grew up loving music and liking a wide variety...Kurt Cobain and Bruddah Iz and Pete Seeger and Beethoven. Our oldest, Karen, played guitar for a while. The youngest, Maeri, is a violinist. She played in the orchestra in high school and sang in the A Capella choir and now does costume work for Disney on Ice traveling the country-side.

I would love for Paul to have more toys but a) we more $$$ and 2) we need more house/storage space, neither of which we will get, on account of ha-ha, I am now on a fixed income as a pensioner. Good bye tension, hello pension.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2007 :  6:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Wanda:

I did not know that you had some health problems and I feel for you. I myself have been blessed with pretty good health for all of my life.....even survived a tour in the infantry in Viet Nam without a scratch. The older I get, the more I keep thinking that my number has to come up with something one of these days.

Our kids and grandkids love a wide variety of music too and both my son and grandson play the guitar and ukulele too. It's always great to have three generations playing together at our family get-togethers and I love teaching my grandson to play.

I recall from a previous post that you and I retired at the same time, although for me it is the second time. I'm expecting my first Social Security check in a couple of weeks but thank God I planned well and don't have to live on Social Security alone.

Let us all know how you like your new ukulele when you get it!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Leonard
Lokahi

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  04:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Leonard's Homepage
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's GAS stories. Here's mine:
My uncle brought back my first guitar from Spain when I was about 14. A classical model, of course. I taught myself to play from Peter, Paul and Mary records. I played that guitar in a folk group in Los Angeles (look for me playing banjo and a Yamaha twelve-string (which I can't find now) in Elvis' movie The Trouble with Girls). Then I saw Irving Sloan's book on making classical guitars when I was working in a book store. So my dad and I made several guitars (classical and flamenco styles), along with some dulcimers, psalteries and harpsichords. Those were the days when you could get Brazilian rosewood, which smells so good. After undergrad I gradually stopped playing very much. About 30 years later, I got the itch to play again after discovering Alaska piks (fingernails had always been a problem for me), and I bought a used Martin SPD-16R at our local guitar shop. I decided I could afford a nice steel string guitar. I saw Mark Hanson's book on slack key at Island Guitars while I was on vacation. On a whim I bought the book and started playing slack key. I liked the guitar so much (it had already "opened up"), that I bought another identical one on eBay. Then the guitar shop had a going-out-of-business sale and I bought an Epiphone Masterbilt fingerstyle model, which has a really nice voice, different from the Martins. It was at that time that I began to think I had the addiction (GAS), since I owned 5 guitars at the time. I hid my disease from my wife ("no, no, dear -- this is the same guitar I always play . . .") but controlled it by only coveting guitars. Then I found I needed to practice while on vacation, so I justified a Baby Taylor, which I bought at Island Guitars in Honolulu. They were very nice people, allowing me to try out their really good guitars, too. I had a great evening at the Princess Kaiulani: the band was playing down by the pool, and I played the Baby Taylor along with them in my room. My wife stuck through this with me. After living with the Taylor for a while, I felt it had intonation problems, which I now think may have been caused by my stringing it too lightly. So I traded it in on a small Martin ("no, no, dear -- this is the same guitar I always travel with . . . "), which I really like, and will bring with me back to the islands on our vacation, which starts tomorrow!! (Laurie and I will be appearing at the Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian - not performing, just drinking mai tais.) I'll start drawing my pension in December '08, but I'll keep working on the side, so I'm thinking that I may not be able to indulge my acquisitive tendencies, unless my sideline goes very well. My disease has morphed into the electronic side now -- I covet microphones, pickups and amps -- I keep thinking that I'll do some performing in my "retirement", so I need the equipment.

Be the change that you wish to see in the world. M. Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  05:41:42 AM  Show Profile
I think only boys have GAS. Girls are more practical. Right, ladies????? Oh, wait a minute. Nani - how many `ukuleles do you have? And Momi?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  05:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I remember getting interested in the guitar after attending a concert by the Romeros brothers in the mid 60’s. Un-like most of my friends I was never interested in rock and roll so at 30 years old I bought an “Orlando” classical guitar and began classical lessons at the same shop. Of course this was before tabliture so I struggled with trying to learn to read music. I had a young family and a growing business which left little time for practicing. I really enjoyed playing the little exercises that I had memorized but grew tired of trying to learn to read music. ( I’m going to add an excerpt from my upcoming book on the history of Bing Surfboards here).

Meanwhile, Bing team rider Rolf Aurness was on a roll in competitive surfing and during the summer of 1969 he won three consecutive events on the Western Surfing Association's top-flight AAAA circuit and became the nation's highest ranked surfer of the year.
Ironically, Rolf had originally become a Bing team member almost by default. Copeland had had a long relationship with James Arness, both as a customer and a friend, dating back ten years. Bing had made Arness an 11'6” board - the biggest that would fit in the actor's Cessna 207 aircraft and Bing vividly remembers flying down to Baja with Arness and his son on a surf adventure to Scorpion Bay. “Big Jim had a Robertson STOL [short take off and landing] kit installed and had big fat sand tires for the beach,” recalls Copeland. “We flew down and landed there right on the hard sand and then pushed it up onto higher ground where it would be safe by using pieces of two- by six-foot plywood under the wheels. “I was taking classical guitar lessons at the time and I had my guitar with me. We made camp up in the dunes and cooked a big thick steak for dinner. Jim and I shared a bottle of scotch and it was really cool to be in that setting playing my guitar for Marshall Dillon and his son,” recalls Copeland.

They must have been impressed because when we returned home they both began guitar lessons.

I eventually put the guitar away for 15 years or so, until my 15 year old son decided he wanted to play rock and roll and it slowly deteriorated some what but I still have it.

It was about 27 years later that I was driving back to Idaho from Baja and stopped in a little Hawaiian shop in San Diego and bought a Keola Beamer tape. We played that tape over and over for 1,000 miles, and I kept thinking “I think I can do that” (well sort of). There was an email address on the tape so I emailed Keola and asked him how in the heck do I figure out the tuning. He wrote me right back and told me to go out and buy a chromatic tuner and then added “Your boards were the best, we would steal them all the time from the tourists when I was a kid”. Without making this any longer than it already is I bought the tuner and Keloa’s book and was on my way.

In 2000 I attended Keola’s first Aloha camp and learned that I had a lot to learn, but I also fell in love with Keola’s Grimes guitars. Steve Grimes gave us a very nice talk about guitar care. I wanted one really bad but at 65 years old I couldn’t accept the 3 year wait to get one. Later that year one of the members of this forum decided he wanted to learn flamingo guitar and was looking to sell his Grimes/Beamer, needless to say I grabbed it and it has been my baby ever since.

In the GAS process I want through a hundred dollar cheapie, a Martin D2R, a Rainsong nylon string and a Baby Taylor. All gone now for various reasons and what I have now is my original Orlando nylon string (still in the case) and my Grimes along with a Rainsong WS 1000 steel string travel guitar and I’m happy, unless of course someone comes up with a nylon string Beamer for sale.

I’m at the point where I’m learning one or two new songs a year and happy to spend an hour every evening playing all my songs while having a glass of wine with my wife. She approves, by the way, so I guess I play OK..

Aloha,

Bing

Bing

Edited by - Bing on 10/29/2007 05:52:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  07:30:53 AM  Show Profile
I have only two `ukulele. I've had my Kamaka concert since 1983, and for a long time, it never occurred to me to own more than one `ukulele at a time. That naivete quickly evaporated when I met some other members of SUPA, including one lady who owned 17 ukes at one time (she's since sold a few) and another lady who owns too many banjo ukes to count (we were at her house on Vashon Island yesterday) not counting the other ukes she's making/adapting. I now also own a Leolani tenor (which has to have the action lowered, so I haven't played it much). I hope to stop there for now, but no guarantees. With Retro's three `ukulele also in the house, I can always trade off (with his permission, I hope)!
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:06:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I love this...getting to hear the way the passion began with all of you and how it evolved. Seems that family and responsibilities created a musical lull for most of us.

Wanda: I'm hoping that you will find that the uke is something you can get your fingers around. There is so much pleasure in playing an instrument...and you deserve to experience that. Sorry to hear about your health issues.

John: Our anniversary is on Nov 5, pretty darn close to yours. Congratulations to you and Carol.

I have been to a Martin clinic but not Taylor. I'll have to ask the local Taylor dealer if they expect to have one.

Regarding those three songs. Yeah, I do them too, although never learned the words to house of the rising sun, just the chord progression.

I hadn't played "Puff" in many many years, I think since my kids were little. I was going through a folder a few weeks ago that had some songs that I hadn't visited in a long while tucked inside. I came across Puff The Magic Dragon and excitedly pulled it out and began playing it. Half way through it - the sad part of course - tears started down my cheeks and I had to stop. This was a favorite song of mine when I was very little, 5yrs maybe, while I was being pulled between mom and dad through custody issues. I guess the nature of the song, the fondness I had for it as a child, and the emotional havoc I went through as a kid was enough to well the emotions. I have been playing it regularly since without too much choking up.

Many of you have mentioned your spouses and how they have affected or influenced your love for music, and aquisition of instruments. I have to say that my wife, Jo Ellen, has been very supportive through the years. Especially so when it came to our sons. When my youngest needed a new guitar she was all for finding a way to make it happen...once with an electric and once with an acoustic. When I decided that I was going to give my older son the Martin, (the second guitar we bought for him) again she was all for it, knowing that I would have to buy a replacement. When our older sons band began touring, she went out and bought them a motor home...ouch. But there was some comfort in knowing that they didn't have to rely on others to find a place to crash while on the road. In short she has been wonderful and very supportive of all 3 of us.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  08:50:35 AM  Show Profile
I am in sad shape! The wife is gone, the kids are gone, so I have no one to tell me not to buy. In the last 8 years I've added a double 8 Fender Stringmaster, a single 8 Fender custom (sold), a Kamaka tenor uke, 4 banjo ukes in various states of being, a Harmony soprano uke, a no-name concert uke, a Jerry Byrd 8 string frypan, a Morrell single 8 for travelling, a Studio Logic midi controller 88 key keyboard, several piano muodules, a Fender Champ amplifier, a Peavy 30 watt tube amp, and several tuners. Somebody stop me, please!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  09:13:32 AM  Show Profile
Jack, talk about bad shape, most of our guitars were built for Sarah. Since my hands went, now she plays all of mine, too. The only one I can manage is the LapKing lap steel, which is fun, but I sometimes plunk a few minutes on a custom flattop. Just for old time's sake. I also ask her to rotate through the collection so I can hear them all.

Sigh...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Wow, everyone! Lots of interesting stories! Keep them coming!

Leonard: I especially enjoyed reading about how you kept your GAS secret from your wife.......it was hilarious! However that wouldn't work with mine....she's much too observant. I learned long ago that the easiest route was to fess up and tell her what I wanted. She hasn't said no yet.

Kurt: Thanks for the congrats, and the same to you and Jo Ellen on your 30th! By the way, do you know that there is a new sequel out (story book version) to "Puff the Magic Dragon"? We just ordered it. I read about it somewhere and it said that the story goes on from where it left off and the ending is happy. I remember playing that and making my grandson sad so when I heard about this book we decided to order it. I don't know how it actually ends because we couldn't find it in any of the area bookstores and we haven't received it yet but I'll keep you posted!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Leonard - don't believe for a minute that you have fooled your wife. We wives know everything. Mo bettah to let a man spend his money on musical instruments than wild women and booze.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000