Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 met any famous island musicians?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  4:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to know if anyone met any famous island musicians? Here is my list of the island musicians that I have met so far:

Weldon Kekauoha
Bryan Tolentino
The group Kaukahi
Alika-Boy Kalauli IV
Keali'i Blaisdell
Keali'i Reichel
Dave Dunaway of Imua
Koa Siu
Hapa (Barry Flanagan and Keli'i Kaneali'i)
Kimo Alama Keaulana (my 'olelo Hawai'i kumu)
Jake Shimaburukuro
Steven Espaniola
Darlene Ahuna
Glenn Medeiros

These are the musicians that I want to still meet:
Makana
Stephen Inglis
Dennis and David Kamakahi
The Brothers Cazimero
Na Palapalai
Natalie A'i Kamau'u
Allison
The Makaha Sons
Kalae
Na Leo Pilimehana
Hoku Zuttermeister
Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom
Aunty Genoa Keawe
Robi Kahakalau
Sean Na'auao
Cody Pueo Pata
Kapena
Uncle Cyril Pahinui
Keola Beamer
Brittni Paiva
Daniel Ho
George and Keoki Kahumoku
Herb Ohta, Jr.
Fiji
Ledward Ka'apana
Pilioha
Holunape

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 11/02/2007 11:44:32 PM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  6:34:55 PM  Show Profile
If they pick up an instrument or if they sing and share their music and their mana`o like Uncle "T" we met in Waikiki, then that is good enough for me.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  8:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've got two ukes covered with autographs from
Led Kaapana
Bob Brozman
Dennis and David Kamakahi
Herb Ohta Jr
George and Keoki Kahumoku
Da Ukulele Boyz - Garrett and Peter
Keola Beamer
Kimo Alama Keaulana
Kekoa from Holunape
Glenn and Kamuela from Pilioha
Chad Takatsugi from Ale'a
Cyril Pahinui

I always thought Sharpies were permanent markers, but the signatures have been fading since I got them signed. Oh well.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  05:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jessie, I think Rik (slkho) puts a thin coat of lacquer over his - - maybe contact and ask... He works with those materials in making ipus and other art objects.
HML-06 - - your second list is interesting in the names you've omitted.....
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  08:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Pondering this question, I realized how fortunate I am to be living on the Island that is Central Oregon and have the priviledge of seeing all these performers while never leaving the mainland. Maybe one day I'll be able to enjoy them, and others, in Hawaii.

Keola Beamer
John Keawe
Moon, John, and Jerome - Makaha Sons
Nathan and Barry - Hapa
George Kuo
Martin Pahinui
Aaron Mahi
Bill Keale
Walt Keale
Mark Nelson

Soon to be: Aldrine Guerrero

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  08:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Many.
I've been very fortunate in that area, to have had countless opportunities to meet and work with Island musicians.

(I won't list 'em here, as I've taken flak for doing so in other fora. Suffice it to say, so many of them have been wonderful people to be around.)
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  08:45:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Many.
I've been very fortunate in that area, to have had countless opportunities to meet and work with Island musicians.

(I won't list 'em here, as I've taken flak for doing so in other fora. Suffice it to say, so many of them have been wonderful people to be around.)

Me too. From music camps to concerts to garage jams, I've been fortunate to meet all kinds of musicians. The fun thing about this forum is that you get to meet everyone from amateur to professional.

I've got an old ukulele that I had lots of musicians autograph for fun. Haven't taken it around much lately since it's running out of space and I'm lazy. Those of you that get your guitars signed are smart -- more surface area. Mine hasn't faded but the `ukulele is more of a toy so it doesn't get played.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  09:02:05 AM  Show Profile
Like Podagee, I am also fortunate to live on an island... the Island that is Santa Cruz Ca., which has been called by many Hawaiian performers who visit here as "The Ninth Hawaiian Island" (sorry Las Vegas, their words, not mine). Anyway, here's my list:

Eddie Kamae
Bill Tapia
Led Kaapana
Aaron Mahi
George Kuo
Martin Pahinui
Cyril Pahinui
Owana Salazar
Brittni Paiva
Herb Ohta, Jr.
Jake Shimabukuro
Barry Flanagan
Nathan Aweau
Charles Ka'upu
Randy Lorenzo
Jon Yamasato
John Keawe
David Kamakahi
Chris Yeaton
Makana
Keali'i Reichel
Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom
Eric Gilliom....on Maui
Mike Ka'awa
Robert Cazimero
Fiji
Robi Kahakalau
John Cruz
The Makaha Sons
Barry Kimokeo
George Kahumoku
Steven Espaniola ...even though not from Hawaii, I can't leave him off the list.
Kalae (Bobo) Miles

My wife and I have signed CDs from just about everyone on the list. In a few days we will add Ozzie Kotani and Stephen Inglis to the list. We are extremely fortunate to live where we do and to have such a vibrant community of people that loves Hula and Hawaiian Music.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:01:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
All I can say is WOW mostly I get to see who ever happens to be on Big Island when I am there not many people come to The Island of Delaware.
:-)
John Keawe
Herb Ohta, Jr.
Jake
Ledward Ka'apana
Makaha Sons
Keoki Kahumoku
Sonny Lim
Kunia Galdeira
Doug & Sandy McMaster
Daniel Ho
Opihi Pickers

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Nani, It is just coincidence, but I was born and raised in Delaware, on a farm near Felton. So ya never know, do ya.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  4:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
But you sure do not see many chickens walkin around with a ukulele under there wing. Being out there on the west coast I bet you get a lot more Haaiian music than you ever heard back here. :-)

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  4:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, I'm a chicken farmer from way back. Really. They did the cluckin' but we did the pluckin', and no, back in Delaware we weren't pluckin' ukuleles.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  5:27:10 PM  Show Profile
The ones I've met were genuine folks, feet on the ground.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha again Nancy, one other thing we have here in Ca that you don't have is earthquakes. 8:04pm, 5.6 on the Richter Scale. Epicenter was in the Alum Rock area of San Jose. It was a real roller. Lasted about 8 to 10 seconds. Long and strong enough to get us both headed for the front door. No damage. Just a little Chicken Skin.

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  08:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Na we get Nor Easters if you remember them you can keep the roller coaster ride. Glad to hear you rode it out with out damage.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  3:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I caught a little bit of a performance by Neal Yamamura at the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel but unfortunately didn't get to meet him.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000