Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Composite Travel Guitar?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile
Wanda mentioned composite guitars in another thread and it reminded me of a good experience I had this past weekend.

Last weekend I tried a Composite Acoustics(CA)GX Performer COT (OM style cut-away guitar) and I really liked it. I am thnking about buying one before I go to Veags in April, in fact.
They solve the issue of traveling with a prized handmade guitar.

They are supposed to be impervious to the elements so one could fly anywhere, go to the beach, play outside winter or summer, paddle you canoe with it, ect.

It would be way better than a travel guitar. I wonder why no one has mentioned them when travel guitars are the topic?

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the new Composite guitars like Rainsong or CA? BTW, I mean all composite, not Ovation.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 10/30/2007 11:13:38 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  05:46:42 AM  Show Profile
I have a Rainsong OM-1000 and am very happy with it. It goes to Hawai`i with me in it's hardshell case inside of a Casextreme from Bruce Lamb. It's pretty much impervious to changes in humidity and temperature. It also sounds quite good. It is, however a full sized (OM) guitar not a parlor guitar.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  07:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Them "Flukes" are pretty darn near indestructible.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  09:00:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
When I was shopping for my travel guitar, which by my definition must fit in the overhead of 95% of the airplanes I fly, I looked very hard at the Emerald Life traveller. http://www.emeraldlife.com/ The sample recordings were a little grating, though, so I went with the Go Type II.

I've always experienced raised action when I travel to Hawai`i (or Louisiana for that matter) where the higher humidity causes the top to expand and raise the bridge. So I'm always on the lookout for a composite guitar with the geometry that I prefer. So far the CA Player X looks like the best bet, but I haven't gotten my hands on one yet to see if I can live with the neck shape. While many people prefer a thinner "fast" neck, I really need a big bulky "slow" shape.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  4:12:40 PM  Show Profile
Fran
I was thinking that a full size composite guitar could go with the lugage so the size would not matter. It probably won't have a problem with the heat,cold, or presure changes.
BTW, I found the shallower X model to be a little bright. Try the deeper GX Performer if you get a chance, it sounds very good.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2007 :  08:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks for the info, Bob. I've brought guitars along as luggage a few times, I have a Calton that is almost airline proof, but I really prefer to have the guitar with me while I'm waiting to board. Lynnie calls it my pacifier.

On our latest trip, a little ki ho`alu in the waiting area helped us make a connection with the flight crew and ended up with tickets to a fantastic ho`ike by a local halau.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  05:00:13 AM  Show Profile
I got a bottom of the line Ovation, laminate top. Great for playing indoors then running outside to play in a beer tent at 58 F (Oktoberfest). Kinda thin acoustically, but good enough as an electric.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
At the risk of narrowing the niche for my hollow neck travel guitar, here is a composite hollow neck. Probably has the "fat bulky slow" shape Fran likes. I know mine has a fatter neck than most, it has to be for strength with the hollow neck. I have not seen or heard this guitar, but the site was sent to me by Earl after he saw and played mine. http://www.blackbirdguitar.com/
And here I thought I had the only hollow necked frettable guitar in the world. Bummer. And it ain't even made of wood!

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  06:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
I have a Rainsong WS-1000 and like it a lot -- too much to trust it to the airlines. It handles the cold really well (surviving -50° in the cargo hold at altitude) but you want to be careful about heat. Leaving it in a hot car in the sun will soften the resins and ruin it, just like a wood instrument.

I also have a $500 Raingsong PMJ-1000, with a carbon fiber top and laminated neck and body. I don't think they are made anymore; it was Rainsong's experiment with an imported low cost version. It survived the airlines OK and handles weather changes well at the destination.

I have even investigated a Taylor 114. Since the necks bolt on, once you know what you are doing you can take the neck off and reattach it in about ten minutes. I thought about putting the assembly in a Pelican case. But the case alone is more $$$ than I have into the Seagull, and large / heavy besides.

As someone who has had every airline nightmare happen to him at one time or another (short of actually crashing) I cannot bring myself to take a good guitar on an airplane. Carrying into the cabin is too iffy, so you have to plan on being forced to check it as baggage. I still have a fairly beat-up used Seagull for travel, housed in my least favorite hard case. Then I always gate check it and ask for the pink tag. Pink tags are brought back up to the jetway like strollers and wheelchairs. The white tag gets put into the plane by hand, but comes out on the regular baggage conveyor, with all attendant damage and abuse.

Karl's guitars are fun and very unique, plus they have a cool sound. They are built to fit into the overhead and they play nicely.

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  08:05:26 AM  Show Profile
I sold my WS1000 before I moved from Hawai'i. It was a hard choice but I was thinning out my collection at the time. It had a unique voice and would have been a maybe for travel. It won't deal with sharp impacts too well so gate checking would be a great idea or buy a ticket for it and strap it in. I won't spend that kind of money though. I just saw Keola Beamer's road equipment guy pack the guitars in a standard hard shell and then a padded cover. But he had three guitars if it was me they would then go into a packing crate that would still qualify for checked luggage rather than freight or cargo. As it is the guy told me they just check them in like that at the check in counter.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
I just saw Keola Beamer's road equipment guy pack the guitars in a standard hard shell and then a padded cover.

Actually, KB uses Calton flight cases; as do I & many, many pros who fly a lot. His cloth case covers add protection for the handles, etc; the kind of stuff that can get caught in the conveyor belts. I generally just stick my case inside one of those large plastic bags.

Re: the whole "Fear of Flying" issue. I started a thread wherein I'd like to find out once and for all just how risky it is to fly with your guitar. I'm betting "not very."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000