Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 OK Audacity users.........
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  09:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I did as some of you suggested and downloaded Audacity. Seems pretty straight forward and easy to use, even for a novice like myself. Been having fun learning what my most glaring weaknesses are..haha.

Just curious what features you experienced Audacity users find yourself using the most...and why. How do your favorite features enhance a recording? There seems to be so much there that I don't even know the meaning of.

Is there a way to re-record certain segments of a song (where I messed up) without recording the whole song over again?

I have been playing around with the echo feature and kind of like that, but haven't been able to zero in on the best settings for it yet. And the click/timing thing too...ooohhhhh that's something I need to work on.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  07:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Kurt, it is possible to "overdub" or record additional tracks after the first one with Audacity, the program does not provide direct support for a "punch in" - recording over a section. With enough effort you can accomplish your goal, but it will be a bit harder than if you choose a program with more multi-tracking features. I recommend that you make another trip to the well and download Reaper ( http://www.cockos.com/reaper ). This tool is a bit more complicated but quite a bit more powerful, with a focus on multi-tracking/overdubbing/editing.

Reaper is shareware, with a $50 registration cost, but the no cost downloadable version is fully functional and there is no expiration.

Features I often use in my recording tools are volume adjustment, EQ or filters, compression and limiting, and reverb and delays. Each of these features are implemented in various ways (built in and plugin tools) and each requires some study and practice.

For a very very rough general rule of thumb, try your delay set to 150 up to 450 milliseconds, about 30% mix, and just enough feedback to hear two repeats.

I rarely mix reverb above 20% mix.

When I use filters, or EQ, I prefer parametric style EQ and apply slight cuts at a few critical points. Perhaps you can get some ideas from http://www.recordingwebsite.com/articles/eqprimer.php .

Finally, the two most important things to remember are: use your ears (listen listen listen to recordings you like alongside your own recordings) and don't believe anything you read on the Internet (or in any music or recording magazine).

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  09:35:56 AM  Show Profile
Kurt,
I started off with audacity because it was easy to use and FREE. Sorry, but don't remember too much details on using Audacity because I swiched to a Mac, but that's a whole other thread.

I switched to garage band and I found it's easier to create multiple track and it's easier to create loops and edit mistakes. If you get a chance, you may want to give it a try.

BTW, I know what you're talking about timing issues. Recording yourself can really open your eyes to how you really play. That's how I picked up on my finger tapping the fingerboard and starting the other thread.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  1:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
don't believe anything you read on the Internet (or in any music or recording magazine).

Would that include what you just said, Fran?

I think the caveat is "don't believe everything you read.

I'll second Fran's advice about getting a real multitrack tool. Audacity (which is available for Mac) is OK as far as it goes, but it is pretty limited. And quirky.

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  2:10:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Mark, I meant don't believe _anything_ including the stuff I write.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  5:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Ssshhheeeeessshhhh!

You guys are challenging my desire to learn something new. Wow, there is a big difference between the two. The first glaring difference being that I can push the record button on Audacity and away I go...not so with Reaper....I'll find that darn button that "arms" tracks for recording eventually. I did download the users guide...I guess I got some readin' to do.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  10:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I just use Audacity to edit raw field recordings, mainly clipping them to length and adding a fade in/fade out. When I come home from a kanikapila with recordings on my minidisc, I run them through Audacity to break them up into songs.
I've never used it to record. The available reverb tool is pretty simplistic and I never got a good sound out of it.

Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Audacity supports VST plugins, so you can track down lots of free plugins. Store the .dll files in the /program files/audacity/plugins directory, then the next time you start Audacity they will appear in the lower half of the effects menu.

Unfortunately, Audacity does not utilize the full user interface of the plugins, so some tools (like the remarkable SIR convolution reverb) are not really useable but plenty of good effects can be added that way.

And, as you say, it's a terrific tool for basic two track editing tasks, like breaking up a long .wav or .mp3 into pieces.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  07:57:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Podagee57

Ssshhheeeeessshhhh!

You guys are challenging my desire to learn something new. Wow, there is a big difference between the two. The first glaring difference being that I can push the record button on Audacity and away I go...not so with Reaper....I'll find that darn button that "arms" tracks for recording eventually. I did download the users guide...I guess I got some readin' to do.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

The Reaper community is pretty high energy, and someone who goes by the name "pipelineaudio" has created some animated tutorials: http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaperTutorials

He starts each one with a big "Aloha" so it's possible that he's a North Shore resident.

Anyhoo, he covers many of the basics of using Reaper. One problem is that the Reaper user interface is very customizable, so things might look just a little different, but it's still a very nice resource. There is also a forum where you can discuss Reaper issues with other users.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  11:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Fran, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Here's a question that reveals one of my problems....what's VST? I can read about how to use a specific function. But if I don't know what that word means and how it pertains to the effect it will have on the recording I'm left scratching my head. I know it will all come in time. Years ago I remember asking...."what's software". hehe.

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  12:43:38 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Podagee57

Fran, thanks for the link. I'll check it out. Here's a question that reveals one of my problems....what's VST? I can read about how to use a specific function. But if I don't know what that word means and how it pertains to the effect it will have on the recording I'm left scratching my head. I know it will all come in time. Years ago I remember asking...."what's software". hehe.

FWIW: VST

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  08:08:12 AM  Show Profile
quote:
He starts each one with a big "Aloha" so it's possible that he's a North Shore resident.
Actually, I think he is in Texas but is a displaced Hawaiian born. If you watch his videos, maybe several times as he moves fast, you will quickly get a good idea of how to start recording.

One of the most confusing things about Reaper for beginners, is the patching and routing matrix. However, for those of us who started in Analog Mixing systems with Patch Bays it is quite intuitive.

P.S: I met Pee-Pay-Lein-Aay , as well as Justin and the entire developement Crew (which means Justin and Christophe) for Reaper at Foothills College recently. It was at a "Mixing in the Box" demonstration done by TechBreakfast and sponsored by Guitar Center. It was mostly a demo by a High-End mixing professional on a ProTools system, BUT, the Reaper demo certainly impressed most of the folks present!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/17/2007 10:19:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  09:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
At Fran's suggestion, I searched for a Reaper Forum and found this: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15698

A great source to answer a ton of questions. Thanks all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000