Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hawaiian music on mainland radio stations?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  07:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Radio is defintely and outdated mode. One day no mo big towers making for ugly landscape. One day going to be wi-fi everywhere and no mo need radio waves. That would be swell to get rid of the EMI anyhow. Plus AM radio hard to stand all the static and no can hear when you go under the bridge or whatever. I woulda got that Sirius radio kine stuff if they had Hawaiian music, but no have. I even really searched hard for a smidgen that would make it worth it to me. I guess, darn, I will just have to keep playing CDs in the car. That's OK. At least, hopefully, the musicians and others involved will reap financial benfits from having to buy the CDs for me to hear the good music. I do not mind. I want to hear the music any way I can. I cannot stand to listen to any of the radio stations here in the Cleveland area. We have a choice of talk radio (Rush and a local sports guy who is tolerable), moldie oldies (ecept in the drive time morning, only talk, no music); icky rap (gives headache from the rythym...same thing over and over until your head is throbbing and heart beating to the same rythym) or "lite rock". Even the hillbilly stations no mo play hillbilly music. Now they play "country". Akron, OH used to be W. Va. of the north and had one good station, WSLR. Now no good hillbilly music. Used to the college stations played good folk music or ethnic music, now cannot even hardly hear the stations because they are so small, but moreover, they are not freely innovative like they used to be. Radio is for nothing but selling advertising time and giving me the helicopter traffic report. Now I pau hana, I do not even need the traffic report.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  08:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Plus AM radio hard to stand all the static and no can hear when you go under the bridge or whatever.
Well, that was the benefit of cable TV. But, of course, for what I pay for cable TV, I would pray there would be NO commercials anymore. But the ratio of commercial to non-commercial TV networks is still about 9-to-1.
quote:

I woulda got that Sirius radio kine stuff if they had Hawaiian music, but no have.
I worked that angle, too. My last long-term girlfriend was a Marketing exec at Sirius here in NYC. It met with absolutely no interest whatsoever. However, you can thank her for falling in love with Hawaiian music and goading me into creating a podcast instead.

I don't like the radio station choices in any city I have been in. I mean... Even in Hawai`i I rarely hear the best new artists' releases on radio. (Have you heard Ken Makuakane's or Darin Leong's CDs on KINE?) Hence, I became an iPod junkie. I also join the BMG Music Club periodically and order the 12 latest new CDs for the price of one, and so I am always on top of the latest music trends and don't look like an idiot when younger people try to chat me up about Daughtry, Rihanna, Colby Caillat, or Amy Winehouse.

Since beginning this posting, my trusty iPod has played Sam Keli`iho`omalu, Heli Silva, and Bulla Kailiwai - three artists you will rarely (dare I say never?) hear on corporate radio in Hawai`i.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Radio is defintely and outdated mode. One day no mo big towers making for ugly landscape. One day going to be wi-fi everywhere and no mo need radio waves. That would be swell to get rid of the EMI anyhow. Plus AM radio hard to stand all the static and no can hear when you go under the bridge or whatever. I woulda got that Sirius radio kine stuff if they had Hawaiian music, but no have. I even really searched hard for a smidgen that would make it worth it to me. I guess, darn, I will just have to keep playing CDs in the car. That's OK. At least, hopefully, the musicians and others involved will reap financial benfits from having to buy the CDs for me to hear the good music. I do not mind. I want to hear the music any way I can. I cannot stand to listen to any of the radio stations here in the Cleveland area. We have a choice of talk radio (Rush and a local sports guy who is tolerable), moldie oldies (ecept in the drive time morning, only talk, no music); icky rap (gives headache from the rythym...same thing over and over until your head is throbbing and heart beating to the same rythym) or "lite rock". Even the hillbilly stations no mo play hillbilly music. Now they play "country". Akron, OH used to be W. Va. of the north and had one good station, WSLR. Now no good hillbilly music. Used to the college stations played good folk music or ethnic music, now cannot even hardly hear the stations because they are so small, but moreover, they are not freely innovative like they used to be. Radio is for nothing but selling advertising time and giving me the helicopter traffic report. Now I pau hana, I do not even need the traffic report.

Hey, Wanda! I get XM Satellite Raido. It doesn't have Hawaiian, but it does have Willie's Place, which plays REAL country music, western swing (aaaaah, haaaaa, Take it away, Leon), cowboy poetry and western music. It's pretty goo. There is also a channel that plays popular music from th 40's which is good, a very good jazz channel, classical , opera, etc. There are also a lot of channels full of crap. In the news area, ther's and NPR channel, too. It costs, but no commercials.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  09:08:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I get XM Satellite Raido. It doesn't have Hawaiian, but it does have Willie's Place, which plays REAL country music, western swing (aaaaah, haaaaa, Take it away, Leon), cowboy poetry and western music.
My wife has XM in her car. I wish it had a Hawaiian station. I wish it had an acoustic guitar station (fingerstyle and/or pop unplugged). Is it me or them when I cannot find anything I like on the 170+ stations? Don't answer that. BTW, and I look like an idiot when talking to younger people. Never know the musical guest artist (usually rappers) on MTV's Sweet Sixteen.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

I get XM Satellite Raido. It doesn't have Hawaiian, but it does have Willie's Place, which plays REAL country music, western swing (aaaaah, haaaaa, Take it away, Leon), cowboy poetry and western music.
My wife has XM in her car. I wish it had a Hawaiian station. I wish it had an acoustic guitar station (fingerstyle and/or pop unplugged). Is it me or them when I cannot find anything I like on the 170+ stations? Don't answer that. BTW, and I look like an idiot when talking to younger people. Never know the musical guest artist (usually rappers) on MTV's Sweet Sixteen.

That's only 170 songs at a time out of the universe of... How many? I also can't find anything on cable TV that I want to watch out of 400 channels. It's natural. It's an "on demand" society. We want what we want when we want it.

You should learn your rap, dude. Andilzy is in the hizzouse. But he off the heezy fo'sheezy. Izzle kizzle, fo' shizzle.

(For the unenlightened, "ilz" is affectionately added to proper names, "izz" to nouns. And "shizzle" has become the rap equivalent of "da kine" in Hawaiian pidgin or "smurf" in Smurftown; you can pretty much use it as a pronoun to replace any other noun, like "this" or "that." The rest - as even Snoop Dogg would attest to - is simply nonsense.)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 11/02/2007 09:55:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  10:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
I didn't take offense and apologize to you Aunty if there was an inference of one. It was an opportunity to tout the rise and legitimacy of what ever we are to be called.

I agree with Bill its a new technology that has far reaching potential, so maybe Internet Broadcasting is a better description than Radio.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  10:38:48 AM  Show Profile
You are all forgetting the service done by local radio in informing the listener about upcoming local events. At KAPU-lp all of the DJs make a point of announcing local Hawaiian concert happenings and other Hawaiian related events. For example during my last show I gave out information concerning the Pakele Lounge B-Day show for Auntie Genoa, to take place the next night. One listener called the station during my broadcast to make sure of the web address. This Sunday, Herb Ohta, Jr and Nathan Aweau are going to be live in our studio. It will be their third live radio interview of the day. Radio must be important to them!! Things like that also help to develop local community spirit. When I see a KAPU-lp bumper sticker on a car out here, I know I am part of an Ohana of shared interest.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Bill - wait a minute. Just a darn minizzle. When we used to have a doggie (now in doggie heaven), we would call her Poop Doggy Dog sometimes with the minefields in the back yard.
Norman - if the radio stuff was all like you, then you wouldn't hear me grouching about radio. You and a few like you, are rare and precious.

I do not know how new, young musicians get any radio play at all anymore. We have a radio station, WMMS, that USED to be very innovative and would have "coffee break" concerts by various musicians live in the radio studio (this was late 60's early 70's). Everything was fresh and new and they didn't care if you were not main stream. It was OK to be different. Seems like now everything is prepackaged. You can almost tell what time of day it is by what song plays on the moldie oldies station. Same songs, same commercials at the same time of day.

I am an old fuddy duddy and I don't even care. I do not know any of the young modern "musicians" out there. OK by me. ,

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Wanda, Thanks for the kind words. I'm really lucky to live in this area, that supports Hawaiian music and culture in so many different ways. Why don't you and Paul move out here. Since you are learning ukulele you could join the "Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz". It's the largest ukulele club in the U.S.

http://ukuleleclub.com/

You could also join the Halau my wife goes to.

http://www.hulaschool.com/

And eat at our favorite resturaunt. Our version of "Hawaiian, Cheers" local Hawaiian Music every Friday night. Come for a visit.

http://www.alohaislandgrille.com/

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 11/02/2007 11:59:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:56:55 AM  Show Profile
Nuh-uh, braddah. Y'alls get earth quakes and forest fires and droughts and mud slides, and then you gonoing to fall off into the ocean someday. Yunz should move to Ohio, that's all. Just not Cleveland. Too muchie lake effect. Supposed to snow on Tuesday. But houses over here pretty cheap. We bought our house for $33,900 (well, OK, it was 32 years ago, but still). Over here, $150-200,000 would buy one majorly swell house AND some land. I remember when we went to Augusta Heritage Guitar Week for Paul to learn from Patrick Landeza. Patrick was just so excited that he had just bought his first house, but I about choked when I heard how much it was. (I do not remember how much now, but I know I about swallowed my tongue).

I found a web site that you tell it how much money you make now and where you live, then tell it where you would like to live (I put O`ahu), and it told me for instance if I earned $100,000 here, over there I would need $166,000 to maintain same standard of living. So I do not know how the haoles can retire over there. Must have da rich uncle.

Maybe I'll start the Cleveland `Ukulele Club (CUKE).

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  12:05:25 PM  Show Profile
I would have a very tough time moving back east, now that I have been out here for 27+ years. Sorry, I have been "Californicated".

Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Maybe I'll start the Cleveland `Ukulele Club (CUKE).
In all seriousness, Wanda - you should!

The Santa Cruz club of which Markwitz speaks is famous around the world, and has inspired the creation of similar groups all over the place; they even get the credit for bringing Bill Tapia out of retirement.

SUPA - The Seattle `Ukulele Players Association celebrates its fifth birthday at the start of the new year (www.seattleukulele.org), and there are clubs going strong all over the place.

Somebody has to start it wherever you want one to exist, and you might find, to your surprise, that there are more uke players in your area than you think.

Plan a West Coast trip, you two - visit the players in Santa Cruz, Hayward, Eugene, Portland, Seattle, Victoria, Langley, etc...

(Oh - and find the radio stations playing Hawaiian music in each area. Just trying to get back on topic, after weaving so wildly off the road.)
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  10:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
And back to the topic for a bit...KVMR, at 89.5 in the Grass Valley/Nevada City area (California) broadcasts a great Hawaiian music show between 9 am and noon local time on Sundays. It also airs over the internet, only at that time, but the station can be received throughout the Sacramento area and all the way up to our place in Paradise (the California one!) and Chico.

Michael Keene, who dances hula and has a very evident love for Hawaii, hosts the program and "spins" recent as well as classic Hawaiian releases. He also occasionally has phone interviews with performers who will be coming to the area or who have new releases.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  12:30:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I just wanted to tell you guys that, unforrtunately, the only place I've listened to Hawaiian music on car radio is in Hawai'i Nei itself. iIt really stinks. Oh well.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  05:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Markwitz - you've convinced me - I'm going to leave Des Moines and move out to the Monterey Bay area. I trust housing isn't too expensive as I may need to live with you. I'm bringing my two CDs with me, one is Keola Beamer and the other is by the Melelani Serenaders. Please find out where the Serenaders are playing as I want to hear them when I get there. I also want to meet that most famous of all Hawaiian personalities, Aloha Joe. See you soon.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000