Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Guitar Quest
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John

Yes... a Breedlove... an Ed Gerhard Signature model.

For instance, I don't remember the gals name but she's one of the farthest-traveling-camp-goers I met (when the camp was on the Big Island)... from Hamburg, Germany, I believe. One day dinking around (after Keola's class) I let her play it for awhile and she couldn't get over the volume and playability (you "look" at a string and it's practically fretted.)

Angela Goebel

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 11/20/2007 12:50:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  5:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Listen to us. Guitars that "speak" to us...that take us on a "mini vacation"...that "buy us, we don't buy them"...that are "therapy". Aren't we a bunch of freaks! haha. The thing is, it's all so true....to crazies like us.

Fran - I almost forgot to thank you for your compliments on my work, and yes I have done a little work on a few solid body electrics. I have an old Hohner, guitar, not harmonica...well actually I have a couple harmonicas too, but I have often thought about taking that old Hohner and striping the hell out of it just for fun.

I wish that Martin made the GE and V in a cutaway version.

Pitcairn John - Pitcairn, that's a long way from Bend...any of Clark Gable's relatives there? I suspected you might own a Breedlove from your previous post. You nailed my Breedlove experience to a tee. I have only picked up a few that I really loved. One is Bill's guitar..but I know I can't have that one.

I would really love my next guitar to be a Breedlove. They are one of the most beautiful guitars made. Kim Breedlove has used his artistic inclinations to create a true work of art. Plus I would be supporting a company that has been so good to the Luau and it's cause. Breedloves are all over this town. I'll be asking Crazy Pete out at the factory about the Ed Gerhard model...god that's a beautiful guitar! Congratulations on finding that special "someone". Haha

John Aveiro - Yes, the Breedloves are made here, except for the Atlas series which are made in Korea, then shipped here for inspection and set up before going to retail outlets. And they do have tours. Mondays at 1 o'clock. However, I can usually arrange a tour any day of the week. I'm not sure if you arrived at the Luau in time, but Kim Breedlove played mandolin with Bill in his first set, and is on several of his recordings.

Mark - I have to agree, the guitar you played in Eugene did have an amazing sound!

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!

Edited by - Podagee57 on 11/20/2007 5:13:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:32:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Podagee57

I wish that Martin made the GE and V in a cutaway version.

The only factory cutaway with 2 3/8 bridge spacing I've found is the Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE, like this one:

I have the mahogany non-cutaway EF-500M and it's a pretty decent guitar for its price. I've never gotten my hands on the cutaway version but I've come close to buying one off Ebay a couple of times. In fact there's one up for sale there right now, and we're in the Christmas shopping season, aren't we?

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  07:49:19 AM  Show Profile
John, I was, actually, in Andorra for a short time - it is just a single valley, up the col from Amelie Les Bains Palada (in France by a hair), where we were visiting some people we know.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  3:22:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

John, I was, actually, in Andorra for a short time - it is just a single valley, up the col from Amelie Les Bains Palada (in France by a hair), where we were visiting some people we know.

...Reid

Hey, Reid. I,ve spent some time in Le Val Du Bethmal, which is west of there, I believe. WOW!!! Beautiful.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

mahimahi
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  5:17:58 PM  Show Profile
Kurt,
I just bought my very first guitar one year ago...I took home the Larivee OM and brought it back the following week for the Taylor 414 c....didn't know anything about guitars...I brought a friend along...I'd never heard of Taylor nor Larivee...I thought cosmetically the Taylor looked better....in hindsight I wished I spent a lot more for something really pretty, but I can hardly play well wth the one I have now...in other words I'm the kind of guy that would wait and pay up for the one I really wanted because I don't like to look back and do a woulda, shoulda, coulda....I spent $ 1168 brand new and I could have easily gone up to $2500, but I'm content now...eventually I'll buy a beach guitar and someday a custom made one when I can truly appreciate the craftsmanship and art like your custom detailing !
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  01:34:53 AM  Show Profile
A few more thoughts from me.
Be sure to note the price of that Gerhard! Umm...it is way expensive. You could easily afford a realy great custom guitar for that kind money. I would not spend that much an a store bought guitar, I would recommend a handmade instead.
I bought a breedlove a few months ago but returned it. It was a $1400 cut away. The tone was very good but after putting it through it's paces at home, I found it had too much sustain--to my surprise, that CAN happen.
I found myself damping strings to make them stop ringing. They were always the ones I did not want to hear. Damping became an art all in it's self. So, back it went.
Be sure to take notice of this characteristic if you choose Breedlove.
If you have Marks Old Time Slack Key CD, Listen again to his big guitar. A custom made guitar for that price is beyond reasonable.

The guitar I now have was made start to finish by one person. I bought it used on a reccomendation by a taro patch member without having heard it. I had faith in the recommender. It has tone that is a step above any good store bought.

Taylors, Martins, Breedloves, Larivee, etc, are all pretty good too, but you are pushing 2-3k with the good ones already. How many hands were involved in making one of those guitars I wonder?

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
How many hands were involved in making one of those guitars I wonder?

In the case of Taylors -- none. Oh, save the humans pushing the pieces around the shop and feeding them to the various computer-driven tools... and then stringing 'em up. Take a tour sometime, it's mind boggling.

That's not to say they aren't good guitars -- I have one. But that's why I call 'em robot guitars. I believe most of the other big names do the bulk of their production the same way these days.

Aren't we supposed to be eating tofurkey or something?

Happy Thanksgiving!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile
The turkey is in the cooker upstairs, the squash is in the oven, soon to be accompanied by the rolls. The gravy will be killer! Pumpkin cheesecake for dessert! Light breakfast for tomorrow.
I got my D-18 in 1980 2nd hand outa the paper for $500. I had a fret job and a neck reset 8 years ago, and another fret job and a new bridge 2 weeks ago. I have gotten 2 cases since the original sat too close to a wood stove. All in all, I figger that I've still gotten by purty cheap. Guitars and other instruments, you gotta love'm.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 11/22/2007 1:23:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I was debating what guitar to take to Hawaii for my trip back home and for the Aloha Guitar Camp. Well I bought a beach guitar (Seagull) for about 540 dollars. Asolid spruve laminated side s and aback. I went thru about 10 guitars in the same price range including Taylor and Martin. The Seagull took top honors in the price range i chose.. %00 dollars is still alot of kala but way less than most of the guitars i already own. I will suffice for traveling and later i will put a pick up in it. I thinking about a three button and Mike set up from K&K. Any body got any info on those pick ups? For the money i think the Seagull will work pretty well.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  02:22:09 AM  Show Profile
noeau:
I also have a Seagull (Studio w/QII). It was the first acoustic guitar I chose for slack key ($1.2k). I realy like the wide neck, the sound is good, and it has a great dynamic range-- I can go loud with it. With the LR Baggs pickups, this guitar is fantastic amplified.
While it is not as good as my custom, it is a very good #2 guitar and I still enjoy playing it.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:10:56 PM  Show Profile
Yeah the neck was a factor for me too. Taylors and Martins sometimes too skinny so I get string buzz against my finger nail on adjacent strings when I hold some chords. I am a lazy guitarist sometimes so it is hard to attack really well. The over tones and harmonics are interesting on this guitar that I just got. It seems to sing very prettily for a guitar of its price. Pretty well made.

Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  9:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Yeah the neck was a factor for me too....The over tones and harmonics are interesting on this guitar that I just got. It seems to sing very prettily for a guitar of its price. Pretty well made.

I really think that Seagull is one of the best guitar values out there. When we shopped for my youngest son, nothing we could find compared in this price range. I bought one for him - his choice - then I liked it so well, I bought one for me. Did you know that they feature a compound curved top. Most guitars have a curve or hump that goes from side to side. Seagull has that and it also curves from front to back. Eyeball from the bottom of the guitar - by the strap peg - up towards the fretboard, you can see it.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:24:24 PM  Show Profile
Slight correction. The sound board is cedar and i do see a curve. What does that do?

Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:16:48 AM  Show Profile
All guitars have a slight curve. Mainly it's to add strength & stability - without it, you might find the tension of the strings on the bridge would make the top bend inwards, which would not be good.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000