Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How many fingers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  09:26:47 AM  Show Profile
T-I-M mostly except when doing a four finger chord roll, then T-I-M-R

My pinkie is IN CHARGE and keeps all dem other fingers in line -- I disagree that it is a habit that needs to be changed. When it is not anchored, I play the wrong strings and it SOUNDS BAD!

I SUGGEST WE START A PINKIE ANCHORS FOR LIFE (PAFL) honor roll for Taropatch. That darn pinkie gets no respect!

1. Those who say it deadens the soundboard -- need to grow old and have their hearing "tempered" -- who are these guys?
2. Those that say it leaves marks on the soundboard -- need to wash their hands more often -- grease marks?
3. Those that say it limits movement -- haven't been doing it long enough to perfect the technique -- weak hands?
4. Those that say it makes tapping sounds -- should be happy they don't need a drummer - bad rhythm?
5. Those that say it makes the pinkie sore -- need some pinkie pushups -- be a man?
6. Those that say it is not in the "classical style -- guess what? this is slack key -- sheesh?
7. Those that say the pinkie is useless -- that is why there is an anchor -- you have a pinkie complex?

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 12/04/2007 09:28:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  10:09:12 AM  Show Profile
8. Those who really don't need to use their pinky to brace? -- insensitive to those with pinky problems? :P

on the other hand, I have seen quite a few players use their pinky to pick instead of their ring, especially for harmonics.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  11:14:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

My usage is the same as Andy's. However I use Alaska piks on my index and middle and a thumbpick.

That could be the start of a whole new thread! I just keep my nails longer on my T-I-M but sometimes I cut them all off and can still play. I like the sound better with my nails than with my fingers but I've never tried to use picks.

And I'll be the first to sign up for Mika ele's PAFL honor roll!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  2:25:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro
That could be the start of a whole new thread! I just keep my nails longer on my T-I-M but sometimes I cut them all off and can still play. I like the sound better with my nails than with my fingers but I've never tried to use picks.

I too keep the nails on my right hand longer. But I hate it when I break a nail..it's almost like muting the string that finger is supposed to be plucking. The thing I don't like about finger picks is that you can't really strum both ways when using them.

Regarding the pinky...I wasn't really sure what I do with my pinky so I had to sit down and play a couple tunes to figure it out. As it turns out, at least for me, it's pretty much useless. There are some songs I use thumb and index - middle and ring are on the pick guard, pinky just hangs doin' nuthin'. Some songs I use thumb, index, and middle, pinky hangs. When I use all three fingers, which for me is most of the time, same thing with the pinky. Only when I flat pick does the pinky touch anything..along with the ring and middle.

So, thinking maybe I'm missing out on something, I tried planting my pinky while I finger pick and I'm thinking, how do you guys do it. Just seems so awkward to me. Then I look at my hands and realize that my pinky is short. I'm asking myself, is it supposed to be that short?....maybe that's why I can't use it to support my hand while playing. It looks much shorter than my ring finger. How much shorter is it I wonder. So I get a ruler and measure it. Now I'm all self conscious about my pinky because it's a whole 1 1/4" shorter than my ring finger.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile
May I be snobby and mention that the fingers are usually refered to as PIMA without getting on anyones shi* list? Every guitar book from way back before dirt has it called out that way.

This is the usual notation:
P=pulgar (thumb)
I=indice (index)
M=media (middle)
A=anular (pinkie)
A=anular (ring)

PMIA is considered the best choice for finger-style guitar playing. So, if you are not set in your ways, it would be the one to choose.
Hey, a good finger is a terrible thing to waste. It's more better to use more fingers.

How about a group for the Righteously Correct Finger Users, or, the RCFU hahaha

Oh, Kurt
I have a topic on alaska picks. In it Bing recommended using glue on nails from Guitarplayernails.com
I tried them and they are awesome. They feel like real nails and if you break a nail just glue one on that finger. I am using them by choice on my IMA fingers and will probably continue. They make a better tone than real fingernails.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/05/2007 03:44:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  3:48:46 PM  Show Profile
9. If your pinkie isn't anchored, does it just stick in the air (like wen holding a tea cup?) . . . oh my!

hmmm . . . my middle finger is 3" long and my pinkie is 2" (I'm only 66" tall -- I'm undertall for my weight)
I wouldn't be self-conscoius about 1-1.25" shorter -- think that is normal.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  4:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Anular=ring. Classical technique is apparently starting to pay attention to the pinkie, but I don't know what they call it.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  5:42:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

This is the usual notation:
P=pulgar (thumb)
I=indice (index)
M=media (middle)
A=anular (pinkie)

What happens to the ring finger?

My ring finger was the one giving me problems tapping on the soundboard so this method may be a better alternative to the one I had in mind (cutting the bugger off).

Oops, just saw the post above this one. Oh well, too late.

Edited by - 808bk on 12/04/2007 5:50:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I also have to keep my ring finger from tapping on the sound board. And as far as anchoring my little finger, forget it. My original instruction was in classical guitar. By the way I like this thread.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  6:46:30 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 808bk
My ring finger was the one giving me problems tapping on the soundboard so this method may be a better alternative to the one I had in mind (cutting the bugger off).

Hey, if you can get it to tap in time to whatever you're playing you might start a new trend!

quote:
Originally posted by John

Originally pluck-ded by javeiro
...my T-I-M...sometimes I cut them all off and can still play...

Now... there's a REAL man.
(If I thought it'd do me any good, I'd do the same thing.)

That's pretty funny......I guess it did sound like I was cutting my fingers off! In fact, this is getting to be a really interesting AND funny thread! Of course my wife thinks I'm nuts sitting in front of my computer and laughing out loud!

Kurt, you crack me up about the difference between the ring finger and pinky. I had to go and measure the difference on my own hand and it's 7/8". But I'm only 5'-9" and you're a heck of a lot taller than I am so maybe that's proportionally okay!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  7:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Anular is indeed the ring finger.
From F. Hand's book, Solo Guitar Playing I: "The little finger of the right hand is not used." (p.6)

Yesterday I was watching a DVD of John Williams play - Thumb and all 4 fingers, depending on the passage. (Though admittedly not very often with the little finger.)

Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Podagee57

So, thinking maybe I'm missing out on something, I tried planting my pinky while I finger pick and I'm thinking, how do you guys do it. Just seems so awkward to me. Then I look at my hands and realize that my pinky is short. I'm asking myself, is it supposed to be that short?....maybe that's why I can't use it to support my hand while playing. It looks much shorter than my ring finger. How much shorter is it I wonder. So I get a ruler and measure it. Now I'm all self conscious about my pinky because it's a whole 1 1/4" shorter than my ring finger.

Ok, had to try too... 5'4" and fingers 7/8" difference. So Kurt, I don't think you have any thng to be self conscious about.

On the other hand (or same one), when I was measuring my fingers, I noticed how crooked they are (broke and dislocated a bunch of them wrestling in a previous life). Now I'm all self concious because I get ugly, crooked fingers, because my ring finger tap when I play and because I plant my pinky.

BTW did you know it's impossible to lick your elbows? How many going try?

Edited by - 808bk on 12/04/2007 7:45:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  03:42:19 AM  Show Profile
woops, I did write in pinkie for anualr didn't I.
Ok, I am out of t RCFU club

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  06:51:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Haole_Boy

May I be snobby and mention that the fingers are usually refered to as PIMA without getting on anyones shi* list?

Whoops...too late...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  08:51:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
Yeah this all has got me to laughin' pretty good too. There must be some serious eggnog drinkin' goin' on. haha

I appreciate you all trying to make me feel better about my short pinky fingers...you are all so kind. I guess there's really no need to use a pinky glove to cover my pinky deficiency.

I almost hurt myself trying to lick my elbow.

RCFU.....HAHAHAHA

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000