Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack piano trick of the Snow Leopard of Mauna Kea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  8:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Where to post this...
I would love to ask the artist someday...
but for now, this is as good as it gets...

On a Windham Hill recording with Keola Beamer--the tune is ".....the snow leopard of Mauna Kea" (sorry, my brother has his cd back, I only kept it for a year because of this tune)
So I've left off the first part of the title , not to protect the innocent, but to keep my short-term Ram unencumbered--actually, I've forgotten the title)....but not the nicely colored piano work GW does with Keola.
On one passage George Winston does pentatonic scale runs plucked....and I don't remember, but it was probably in Keola's C....
So, if you ever look inside a grand piano...there's no color coding or easy cue points to the notes.

I figure, you press down the notes you want on the keyboard, and then, have another person strum the inside to get rapid PENTATONIC runs...

It is NOT, as I remember, a Chromatic run--that would be relatively easy...the commonly used chromatic note smear...with the sustain pedal depressed (all strings open)...

But if my famous memory is correct, they were pentatonic-like STRUMMED piano runs.

The only way I can conceive of executing a pentatonic flourishes such as these is:
you press down the notes you want, and then, have another person strum the inside to get rapid PENTATONIC runs where the dampers are raised (the held notes).
The dampening hammers raise and open up the string for vibrating when it is stuck/played, or, in this case, STRUMMED from the inside).
So using all your fingers, and perhaps a toe or two...you can get more notes as your assistant strums the length of the notes being held...
You would NOT use the sustain pedal if I'm correct...to avoid ALL notes from sounding!

Any takers on this?!! Should I go back to the Think Tank?
I need some extra thinkers or it's only a Think Pond.
And you wondered what I do with my time!
Please try to help...
I own an upright piano, and all the smaller people I know are off on major motion picture sets.
The mice can't be trained either.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 03/26/2008 8:39:03 PM

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  09:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
If you have ever seen George in concert, you would know he does this all on the fly and it is just him. I've seen seen him keep playing the keyboard, stand up and pluck strings at the same time. Not sure if this is exactly the same technique he used on the song you are speaking of, and of course in a studio situation he could lay down tracks or have a helper, but in concert it is all him. Rather amazing. If you know your instrument," inside and out", like he does, it sure looks easy enough

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
I've never tried this, but it sounds so cool! I too have an upright. Any questions? Email me.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  09:13:21 AM  Show Profile
I've not seen GW live since the days of his "December" album. Much more guitarist than pianist myself, I've done a similar version of what's described by Karl above. It's certainly possible to "prepare" a piano [a la John Cage] but my simple version is to depress the desired notes with left hand and pluck [ID'd by looking] the corresponding strings w/right hand [has gtr fingernails]. I've never done this in front of an audience but imagine that with experience [and a preternatural gift like GW has] it'd be possible to do as easily as I chime the octave harmonics of the 3 highest-pitched [G/C bass taropatch tuning]strings and bend the B-string behind the nut to go from Cma7 to C.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  09:16:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh like one giant autoharp?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  9:39:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:

Oh like one giant autoharp?
quote:

Well, like the Giant Clam is related to the little clams...
More Mana.
The grand piano is, in my book, the first supercomputer.
Everything is in black and white, literally from high to low, and is harmonically visual--except from the inside of the grand piano.
I've laid on a couch next to the Bosenforfer full-size grand (with the extra keys on the bottom octave), and listened as recording tracks were laid down by a world-class player...Deborah now works with the likes of Andre Botcelli...

Why she hangs out with a Kapila Kane is one of the Giant Questions.
Maybe I'm the plucky comic relief.
So if they ask me to beam down with the landing party, I'm ok, right?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000