Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How many fingers?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  7:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Just wondering how many fingers everyone use to pick and why?

I've been playing with three (T-I-M) and my pinky anchored on the soundboard. When I play this way, my ring finger keeps tapping the soundboard. Trying to play un-anchored or with four fingers but auwe not so easy yea.

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  10:57:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
thumb and three fingers - sometimes four.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  04:35:06 AM  Show Profile
Thumb, forefinger, middle with ring and pinkie both anchored, and heel of the right hand over near the bridge for easy dampening of mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  06:49:20 AM  Show Profile
I use my thumb and three fingers with my pinky resting lightly on the soundboard. I have also tried not anchoring my pinky (read somewhere that it's a good thing to do) but you're right.....it ain't easy; although in one song ("Nahenahe") where there is a regular brush across the strings with all fingers, I somehow manage to play without the pinky on the soundboard. I guess I've been doing it this way for too long.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  1:08:40 PM  Show Profile
I've tried to play with the ring and pinky anchored, but as soon as I not watching that buggah sneak away and start tapping again... Guess I just gotta keep practicing.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  3:38:17 PM  Show Profile
i was playing wit jus da pinky anchored ... but da ting started fo get all sore, so I started trying not fo anchor anyting, especially since i usually play wit my T-I-M too :-) I tink i might try anchor da ring and pinky too. tanks fo da good idea!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  04:37:56 AM  Show Profile
I use my thumb and three fingers. Sometimes I use my pinkie for five string chords.

I never anchor playing fingerstyle but I used to when I played with a pick.
I learned non-anchoring from classical guitar instruction books.

Non-anchoring and the use a John Pearse arm rest results in the of tops of my guitars rarely being touched. They get dusty but never have finger marks. I am not careful about it either it just happens.

Led plays using his thumb and one finger, and anchors with two.
Too bad he crippled himself up with that technique--he coulda been realy good. LOL

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/02/2007 04:40:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  5:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Whether it's true or not I don't know, but I've read that Ray Kane plays with thumb and two fingers and I'd say he's pretty good!

Actually, I'm a little partial to old style traditional slack key and he's one of my favorite artists.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  6:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I play with thumb and 4 fingers. I rest my arm on the top of the bout, but do not anchor any fingers on the guitar. It's largely a question of freedom of movement - in terms of picking, strumming, as well as placement on the strings (for tone quality)
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  10:12:44 PM  Show Profile
Watched the Ray Kane Kiho'alu dvd again. It looked like Ray plays mostly with the thumb and index (except when he strums). Also noticed that Sonny Chillingworth and Leonard Kwan played that way too. These, along with Ledward are among my favorite artist.

I brought up this topic looking for info and, as usual, you all came through. Gotta admit though, the number of fingers I play with has got to be the least of my problems. lol

Thank again for all the info.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  06:09:05 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 808bk

Gotta admit though, the number of fingers I play with has got to be the least of my problems. lol

That is funny! It does make wonder some though. People that are born with more than a thumb and four fingers on a hand are not that uncommon. I wonder if there are any finger-style guitar players like that? And does it make it any easier or do they just get in the way.

Just some useless thoughts of an idle mind.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

I play with thumb and 4 fingers. I rest my arm on the top of the bout, but do not anchor any fingers on the guitar. It's largely a question of freedom of movement - in terms of picking, strumming, as well as placement on the strings (for tone quality)

That's my m.o., too. That is largely the accepted classical right-hand guitar technique.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

DaKineViking
Aloha

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  06:52:56 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 808bk

Just wondering how many fingers everyone use to pick and why?

I've been playing with three (T-I-M) and my pinky anchored on the soundboard. When I play this way, my ring finger keeps tapping the soundboard. Trying to play un-anchored or with four fingers but auwe not so easy yea.

Funny...been playing T-I-M style since age 10 (now 64). Had to pick up guitar and see how I anchored! Pinkie relases on occasion and I even use it (and ring finger) in certain rare places, but auwe, it's almost useless except for anchor! Never thought about it I guess. I DID wonder how many fingers some of the great kumu used, so this thread has been GREAT! Feel mo bettah now I know some of da BEEG guys play same way as me...only bettah!

Lona
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  07:31:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DaKineVikingFunny...been playing T-I-M style since age 10 (now 64). Had to pick up guitar and see how I anchored!

LOL! I had to do the same thing and I'm very close to your age! It's funny how much we just do things for so long without even thinking about it and, when asked about it, can't give the right answer unless we do it again! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  8:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I play with T-I-M too. Sometimes, the ring finger sneaks in too, depending on the song.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  08:43:00 AM  Show Profile
My usage is the same as Andy's. However I use Alaska piks on my index and middle and a thumbpick.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000