Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 How to Play 'Palehua' by Willie K.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

aukele
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  2:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha everyone. I am wondering if anyone knows how to play 'Palehua' by Willie K and Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom? I sing and play guitar, but as you probably know, it is very hard to find certain Hawaiian songs in sheet music or tab form. I want to perform this song soon, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  9:50:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Instrumental Intro
/:D - - - /Dsus - - - /(4x)(tacit on last repeat)

/D - - - /G - - - /D - - - /G - - - /
/D - - - /G - - - /D - - - /G - - - /(go to 2nd Verse)
(Chorus)
/Em - - - /A - - - ://

1st VERSE
E kahea mai ana
`O Palehua e
Wahi lani ha`upu ia`u
E poina `ole
Ke kuahiwi kaulana
Wehe i ka lani

`O ka wahi ki`eki`e loa
`O Palehua e
E pa mai ana ka makani
I ka ulu nahele
Ulupuni makou I ke `ala
palepiwa
`Auhea wale ana `oe
`O Palehua e

Ha`ina `ia mai
Ana ka puana la
E kahea mai ana
`O Palehua e
Ke kuahiwi kaulana
Wehe i ka lani
`Auhea wale ana `oe
`O Palehua e

This will get you started but you gotta figure it out yourself. Play along with the recording. Good luck...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  2:02:38 PM  Show Profile
If you have access to Chino - he played lead guitar on that -- see if you can get a lesson from him. He's an incredible guitarist.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  05:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I assumed Willie was playing the guitar. Itunes doesn't have liner notes explaing such things. Are you sure that's Chino.

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Willie basically does a bang up job at rhythm. Chino plays lead, including the fills. Been there, seen em live. Talked with him. Sure.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I looked at the album and I think Willie played all stringed instruments on it. It predates their Aloha Live ensemble, including Chino Montero, by several years.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  03:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I looked at the album and I think Willie played all stringed instruments on it. It predates their Aloha Live ensemble, including Chino Montero, by several years.

Jesse Tinsley

Willie did play the lead on the album. Chino was not in the studio for those sessions.

It is not uncommon in any genre for another guitarist to learn somebody else's licks for live performances.

Chino is Amy's permanent guitarist now. We chatted last week when he popped into Honey's and jammed with Eddie Kamae and guys. He cranked out a mean "Europa" on a Guild acoustic. Must have gone for 15 minutes without repeating a lick.

He mentioned that Amy's new CD is finished and should be out soon.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Aloha Bill,
I was there on Sunday and talked to Chino also. I didn't see you though. I was the guy in the front table with the black hawaiian shirt. I was supposed to play but had to leave early. I know Chino's magic very well. Perhaps RJS is referring to a latter recording.

I went back the next Sunday and asked the guys if my neice could dance. My neice, 11 year old Kahealani Tolbert, was so worried that the boys didn't know all verses for Pua Mana and insisted on doing some hapa-haole song. Even after assuring her that they were the best hawaiian band around, she still insisted on "Out on the beach at Waikiki". As it turns out, the music was right but they stumbled on the words and ended up passing the mic to auntie in the audience who knew the words. After pau, I yelled hana hou and requested Pua Mana, illiciting a stink eye from Kahealani. I told her not to trow attitude to the band and so the glare was at me. I ain't scared of her and the band was gracious and ample to the task. My tita and I were flowing proudly tears of years of struggle and love. Kahealani kissed each musician before rejoining us as Uncle Edie gathered money from the floor and laid it in a pile in front of Kahealani. I told her to put it all in the tip bowl for the band and got yelled at by her agent/mother, Laurie Tolbert. She ended up making $75. I insisted she put some in and she did. Mike Kaawa, Ocean Kaowili, Paul Kim and Anal Aina are way up on my list of musicians now. Uncle Edie is a shaman, to say the least. My father would have been so proud of all of us.
RJS... Are you performing in the Aloha Fest? Doug and others are going to Kanikapila in the ed-tent at some point. try go stay come...

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  06:35:34 AM  Show Profile
My bad on the Chino -

I did Aloha Fest a few years. With a limited number of "slots" available, I think the opportunities for performance should be passed around.

Whether nor not we go will depend on wha's happening with the baby.

Raymond
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2008 :  5:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hikabe

Aloha Bill,
I was there on Sunday and talked to Chino also. I didn't see you though. I was the guy in the front table with the black hawaiian shirt. I was supposed to play but had to leave early. I know Chino's magic very well. Perhaps RJS is referring to a latter recording.
What? What time did you show up? I was there from 3pm until pau. I even sang three songs with the guys (right after the Abrigo `Ohana, those cute kids that have more talent in their little fingers than some adults have in their entire bodies, and right before Chino).

I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet you! I was sitting at the round table near the door (near what USED to be the bar).

P.S. Next time you see Ocean, request "You Make Me Feel Brand New" by The Stylistics. He'll know who put you up to it.

P.P.S. Trivia Question: How did Ocean get his cool name?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, I was at hula workshop in February with two of his cousins. He told me the father gave the names to celebrate the water, ergo Ocean and I think they said there is a brother named River or some other water name, and he was going to name all the kids after water. But Mama put her foot down. No wonder he is a fireman. Plenty of water in his blood, so to speak.

That CUTE Ocean Kaowili. And kolohe, too.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  03:29:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Aloha Bill,
I was there from 2pm to 4:30. I had an appointment at five and had to leave. I didn't get to see anyone come up. Ocean is a blood cousin of mine from the big island Lindsey clan. He and my sister traced back to bygone years.
My students and I will be coming back to Honolulu in July to perform in the Roy Sakuma uke fest on July 27th and I intend to see Mike and the band on the weekend. I hope I get a chance to meet and hear you play. See you there...
RJS... I was asked to skip performing this year at SF aloha fest so Mary could allow others on a long waiting list to perform. I am still doing the uke workshop in the ed tent on both days. Cuzin Fran, I think, is doing a kihoalu presentation also. try go stay come if can... goin be good...

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 04/18/2008 04:07:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:09:07 AM  Show Profile
This guy who said he is Ocean's cousin is hapa Pake/Hawaiian. The neice who was there is hapa Hawaiian/haole.

Braddah Ed - Ocean is cute.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:56:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
I think wanda means me, Hiram Bell. I am hawaiian, chinese, irish, scottish and portuguese. My neice, Kahealani Tolbert is all that and more. I beg to differ with Wanda about Ocean. I am a lot cuter then him!!!

Stay Tuned...
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Well, at least you do the beautiful art. Now, I have not seen you in person, Hiram, but you are very nice looking from pictures on your web site. However, still, mmmmmm, that cute Ocean Kaowili,

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hikabe
Lokahi

USA
358 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  05:55:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hikabe's Homepage
Sorry I must retract the last post.

What an idiot I can be. I humbly apologize to Ocean for the disrespect in response to guavas and others posts. The addiction to respond to some things posted here makes me say stupid things, as if we are in a chat room. I do better in person. I started posting when I got back home on Oahu. I am now back to work in CA and will refrain from visiting the taropatch. This is a great place to get information. But I get myself in so much trouble when I try to make a point. It's like being on the freeway and accidently cutting someone off. Next thing you know, someone's grandma is passing by with her middle finger sticking out the window. If I bumped into someone on the sidewalk, they would not even look at me. Cyberspace is not my forte. Peace out... aloha....

Stay Tuned...

Edited by - hikabe on 04/20/2008 4:52:11 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000