Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 2008 Grammys - Best Hawaiian Music Album
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Keoki Kahumoku
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keoki Kahumoku's Homepage
EXACTLY! We neva get into the music for any awards in the first place. #1 reason- survival. BAck in the late 80ʻs/early 90ʻs I worked construction full time-painting houses and digging cesspools, ran a Certified Organic coffee(HOFA)/ hog operation-which became a World Wide model for hog farmers around the world- You tink my fada was really trying to be "Mr. Pork All-American?" No, we was trying to do something that makes sense that would benefit hog farmers around the world. Same with the music. Try ask our musicians? "eh, how many of you only played music to make it??" I tink that the answer would be few and very far in between. Most of our musicians work 2 or even 3 side Jobs to make ends meet. My own personal mission over these years has been to just get the music out there cause I was tired of listening to jawaiian music on the main radio Stations. When Herb Jr and I recorded our first Album together, "Hawaiian from the Heart", We was lucky the radio stations even used our songs for the commercials in between. Till this day, dat album was one of my most favorite projects I ever had the opportunity to work on! And now today, we still waiting...So, many of us began traveling hoping to spread our love for Hawaiian Music. In 1977 my Dad and Uncle Moke & entourage went to England with Aunty Edith Kanakaole, during the Queens Jubilee. That was a privital moment to me when England gave back to Hawaii artifacts even Hawaiians didnʻt know still exsisted.. What Iʻm trying to say is that we were blessed to be apart of something very special back then and now the blessings continue to flow. What makes our recordings even more special to me is the fact that these are live recordings...some with stories, straight from the hip! All scratches,squeeks, and mistakeʻs(oh heaven forbid!) that make us plain Human. Ok...ok..Human with gifts from AKUA and these artist/musicians have learned to harness these gifts to share: which have become MIRACLES for many people in their lives. I canʻt begin to tell you how many times people have told us how our music has changed their lives in some way, or even helped them to cope with lifesʻ problems..to to make Hawaiian music available to the next generation and if given the opportunity, be able to atleast give my take or perspective of a song through recordings. Plus, we are blessed that our music provides many of us musicians with work to survive in this hustle and bustle world.You know most times as musicians, we are gratetful if we could just "touch" one persons life, then it was all worth it!!!

One night, my dad and I was playing a gig in Kaanapali at a bar/restaurant...dis 2 couples came in, sat down in front us and was listening...After about 3 or 4 songs both couple started dozing off...and I thought to myself "whoa deez guyʻs...no class eh!?!" Just then my turned to me and said "Look Son! We doing our JOB!". I couldnʻt believe what he was saying!!! Then he explained to me how mainland peoples come to Hawaii to get away from all da pilikia and troubles of the world, even just for a moment. Then, I understood "we are here for them...not dem hea for us.

One of the reasons I expressed anger which is very rare is because, even at the Grammy Awards, I personally experienced RACISM & HATE at one of the concession stands. We had over 12 people witness to the way I was treated. He just looked at me, turned away and helped someone else who was standing behind me. This went on for 20 minutes. Finally, I didnʻt realize but everyone was watching this scene unfold and it pissed my Dad off so bad that he called security and had the guy removed from the building. After we won the award, my Dad went back to the office showed the vendor-guy the award and told him"brah you no moa any ALOHA!" and we all walked off to international press. So, when I came back to Hawaii to see in the News pepaʻs "cut our strings...article", you can believe how pissed off i was, plus too the fact dat i was just getting ova one injury that could have ended my music career.

I never in my whole life thought that I would be a musician, let alone a recording artist or even teaching ukulele or slack key or being able to share the stage wit people who have become my HEROʻs in this lifetime. I thank all of the musician both past & present for blazing da trails for us so we have examples to follow to make what is good, moʻbetta!
Sincerely, wit love & Much ALOHA...keoki kahumoku
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  2:07:56 PM  Show Profile
Keoki
quote:
Then, I understood "we are here for them...not dem hea for us.

That is the best reason I have heard for getting in front people to play.
Mahalo for passing it on.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  6:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:
Look at how many times Jimmy Sturr has won for Best Polka Album - it happens all the time. And I know there has been public outcry amongst polka fans.
GOOD ONE... ROTFL!! (true or not!)
Quite true - we were discussing this at our Producer's Summit yesterday (seems there were concerns about family members' status as band members/legit voters). Sturr has taken the Grammy home 17 out of 24 times, since 1985.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  02:05:30 AM  Show Profile
I remember when Hank Haller from here in Cleveland was nominated for a Grammy for "Say Thank You, Dear, and Send her Roses". He said he sat next to "Simply Red" and was stepped on the foot by one of those Milli Vanilli guys. But Hank did not win. He said was exciting to go, even though he had to sit up in the rafters with the hoot owls. But even though he did not win, did not mean his music was nt good. I think he makes very good polka, right Kory?

But I am very appreciative that Keoki shares his experiences and opinions with us. It is very good to learn the experiences from the artist's point of view. It just sickens me to hear that racism still exists anywhere in this world. I just don't get it. Or at least in the US. Our first trip to Hawai`i, one of the tour guides told us, "I call everyone Cousin because we all have the same Uncle -- Uncle Sam."

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Controversy is at times, a good thing. While it is wonderful that Hawaiian music is receiving enough respect to be considered by the grammys we should also understand that the voters really don't understand what Hawaiian music is. They have no concept of the evolution and development of a genre that incorporates a foreign language that was oppressed for over 70 years. The choices are made in ignorance. It no more is any valid than 5 blind men describing different parts of an elephant. My question is why do we care? Hawaiian music will exist and be played for and by Hawaiians as long as they exist. It does not matter that others judge our performances worthy of the reception of a dust collector that will sit on a shelf only to be forgotten some time later. As far as awards go I adopt the stance of ainokea and to heck with what any of that stuff means. Fans have a right to make comments about who and what should have won but the musicians have the final say and I for one know who the real winners are. I keep those ideas to myself because i don't need some "expert" telling me who I should respect and admire.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000