Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Whoopee! Going To Kauai!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  6:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Aloha all. I'm getting to spend most of January in Kauai! Is there anything musical going on then that I shouldn't miss? Mahalo for all advice.

Mark E

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  09:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Go to the Grand Hyatt in Poipu on Friday night and see Leilani Rivera Bond. She plays standard tuning, but her interpretations of classic Hawaiian songs is exceptional and the view of the bay behind her is worth the cost of pupus on the Hyatt terrace. It's the same time at Cindy Combs often play in Hanapepe, so you might want to schedule those on different Fridays. The McMasters put on slack key shows in Hanalei on weekends.
You will enjoy that place.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  09:49:25 AM  Show Profile
i dunno anyting about da music scene on Kaua`i ... BUT ... Kaua`i is my second favorite of da islands (nex to Big Island, of course). I jus hope you really enjoy yourself! Bring back some sun fo us up hea k?

shootz!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  12:04:49 PM  Show Profile
At KKCR (Kaua`i Community Radio) we broadcast a "who's playing where?" list daily for fans of island music. It also gets posted to our website -- but I see that it's not been updated since October (erk!). Oh well, at least this list will give you an idea of where to find Hawaiian music on Kaua`i. Call the venue to confirm times though!
http://kkcrevents-linda.blogspot.com/

And BTW, Leilani Rivera Bond plays many nights at the Hyatt, not just Friday.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
518 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  12:13:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage

While on Kauai, make sure you go see Doug & Sandy McMaster at the Hanalei Community Center. They give wonderful shows featuring ki-hoalu, ukulele and talk-story every Friday and Sunday at around 4 pm. It is a delighful experience. We went three times in our ten days on the island last time, and it was the highlight of the trip. www.hawaiianslackkeyguitar.com

- Earl
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  09:16:00 AM  Show Profile
Check out this topic.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2007 :  8:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Thank you all for the many great leads. I'm going to print out this thread and take it with me.

Auntie Maria - Will you be on Kaua'i? Can I meet you? I've been reading your postings so long, it would be a great honor. I'll buy lunch and play you my version of "Danny Boy" in Taropatch or (final offer) buy lunch and not play my version of Danny Boy in Taropatch. Say the word.

Again, Mahalo everybody!

Mark E
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2007 :  06:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Mark, email me directly, 'kay?

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mark,
Be sure to contact Greg Germano at Bounty Music in Kapaa if he still works there. He seems to know who is playing where and when. Did anyone mention Hal Kinnamon in Hanapepe? He gives clear, concise lessons. Ken Emerson had a steady gig at Princeville hotel. He plays all kinds of stuff, but if you ask, he will stick with slack key at least for a while.

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  04:11:08 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps you know about them already, but I just received announcement of the Kaua'i activities listed below.

Among them, the E Kanikapila Kakou series in particular would be a "not to be missed" on my own list, and the series continues to April for those who might be going to Kaua'i later in the spring. General info:
E Kanikapila Kakou 2008 Season, 6:00 - 9:00 pm
25 Years of Hawaiian Music
Every Monday Night from Monday, January 21 to Monday April 7, 2008
Island School Main Hall

Events By Date

Saturday, January 19
21 Year old Joyce Yang
Silver medalist in 2005 Van Cliburn Int'l Piano Comp;
Only 21 years old, Yang has already had an enviable career, with a
silver medal at the 2005 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition
among her many achievements.
Kauai Community College PAC
(808) 245-7464

Sunday, January 20, 2008, 7:00 pm
E Kanikapila Kakou Silver Anniversary Concert
Celebrating our 25 years of celebrating Hawaiian Music on Kauai
Opening with EKK presenters of 25 years - Nathan Kalama, Lady Ipo,
Fran Nestel, Cindy Combs & Carol Yotsuda.
Na Hoku Hanohano 2007 multi-award winners, KAUKAHI, will headline the
concert with their special harmonious blend of Hawaiian music.
Kauai Community College Performing Arts Center
Tickets: $30 gen, $25 seniors/students; $40 at door

Monday, January 21, 6:00 - 9:00 pm
E Kanikapila Kakou Monday Night #1
25 Years of Hawaiian Music - every Monday night through April 14
David Kawika Kahiapo, Dean Wilhelm, Walter Keale
Learn Hawaiian music from the composers. Hear it from the source -
the inspirations, the hidden meanings, the correct pronunciation, the
chords, the stories behind the music and the artists.
Held at Island School Main Hall
Garden Island Arts Council, (808) 245-2733

Saturday, January 26, 7:00 pm
"Na Pua O Hawai'I" (flowers of Hawai'i)
Kumu Hula Leinaala Pavao Hoike
Dancers of Halau Ka Lei Mokihana O Leina'ala
Plus special guest performers
Kauai Community College Performing Arts Center

Monday, January 28, 6:00 - 9:00 pm
E Kanikapila Kakou Monday Night #2
25 Years of Hawaiian Music - every Monday night through April 14
Keola Alalem, Sanoe Duarte, Jed Hanada
Learn Hawaiian music from the composers. Hear it from the source -
the inspirations, the hidden meanings, the correct pronunciation, the
chords, the stories behind the music and the artists.
Held at Island School Main Hall
Garden Island Arts Council, (808) 245-2733
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  6:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Wow! Thanks Sarah!!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  7:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Hi Folks!

Got back Friday and here's the final report. First, thank you so much Taropatch ohana for your help. It wouldn't have been the trip that it was without your advice and suggestions. Especially an extra Mahalo nui loa to Auntie Maria for acting as guide at the start of the path and steering me to so many great experiences. Not to bore you with too much detail but to give some guidance to others who are going, I saw Na Leo O Wainiha at Tahiti Nui in Hanalei, Doug Mc Master (of course), Dennis Chun let me play a couple of pieces with him backing me up at the Hukilau Lanai in Waipouli, Leilani Rivera Bond sang at the Hyatt in Poipu and also her keiki hula class performed there, Daryl Gonzales on alternate evenings played incredible jazz chords and runs behind his soft singing and the highest of many high points - E Kanikapila Kakou as suggested both by Sarah and Auntie Maria.

That was an amazing experience. On Sunday evenings, there is a concert and then on Mondays, the main performers meet with whomever to teach some songs - guitarists go with the guitar players from the group and ukes with ukes. Then we all got together and they performed the songs with numerous of us playing guitars and ukes in the audience. The Monday part was by donation (they suggest at least $5 can you believe?) The concert on Jan. 20 was Kaukahi who had this year taken the Na Hoku as a group and Kawika (their lead guitarist) as the year's slack key guitarist. Their CD, "Life In These Islands" is absolutely great and has many of the songs they performed. On it, they are joined by Amy Gilliom to do a beautiful love song describing the entwining of the fern with the lehua to make "an incomparable lei." This symbolizes the love of the persons for whose wedding the song was composed. The depth of meaning of their songs was amazing as we learned from Kawika and the others in our small group on Monday evening. Often, they sang about Akua and our destiny in life.

The whole experience was incredibly touching. Not the least of which was the informality and approachability of these guys who couldn't have been earning much, if anything, on the donation night. They invited questions and somehow got into relating to us in a very personal way. Dean Wilhelm (the rythm guitarist) surprised himself by being almost in tears as he described to us how it was for him to have an Hawaiian mother and a Swiss father and the importance of his Hawaiian heritage even though his grandfather called him "my haole grandson." I could go on and on because it was such a lifting experience for me, but hopefully you get the idea. Also, their concert was opened by Nathan Kalama, Cindy Combs and Lady Ipo who were, of course, great.

Finally, further icing on the cake came the day before coming home. I was in a T-shirt outlet in Elele buying a 5 XL shirt for a friend. The salesperson was a woman of about 40 and we began talking about Iz because of the shirt size. She said; "I'll bet you're involved with music somehow." Well, it turned out that she had sung in competition in the past. She offered to sing me her best song which was "Kanaka Wai Wai." I had my guitar in the car, so I got it and we did the song together. This was just a spontaneous and unexpected moment of musical sharing. But afterwards she showed me her forearm and said: "See? Chicken skin!" What more could one ask?!!

So I guess that the moral is - the best laid plans sometimes come out far better than one could have hoped. Again, thank you all for your help in laying these plans. I hope others will get to take in some of these experiences. Ozzie and Danny Carvalho are doing one of the EKK performances in March. How great will that be!

Aloha!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  01:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Dear Mark: Thank you for sharing your experiences on Kaua`i with us. Sounds like you could not have asked for a better trip. You experienced the aloha and that is what it is all about for me. Wonderful!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  05:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the wrap-up. The vicarious experience via this forum is almost as fun as going myself.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2008 :  08:56:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mark. Kauai is a special place for me even after 14 visits. Glad you got to play with Dennis Chun. Quite a cool guy, huh?
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:47:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
Mark,

I got chicken skin just reading your story. What a great time that must have been. Maybe next time you can make it over to Oahu. Thanks for sharing!

-Lance

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000