Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Loudness Wars - the Death of High Fidelity
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  10:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
Well said Grumpy, I'm with you all the way..
Basil

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  12:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, maybe you won't have to worry about CDs much longer. Their sales are dropping like a stone:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/business/media/04music.html?ref=technology

However, this does not mean that the next medium won't be loud and overcompressed.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  12:56:18 PM  Show Profile
quote:
However, this does not mean that the next medium won't be loud and overcompressed.
Yes - of course, this disease has already been transferred to MP3 and AAC files since they are generally made from the same masters or from ripped CD's, and the attitude is the same: it's gotta go to eleven! The irony, of course, is that it is not really any louder (which is still ultimately determined by the users volume control), it is just OVERMODULATED, like those godawfull TV commercials.

The pity is that it has even transferred to DVD in 96Khz/24bit form, in one swell foop, totally negating the technological improvement of this format!

P.S. Some freebie (or nearly freebie) .wav to mp3 converter programs contain sigificant digital compression processing BUILT IN, which, in some cases cannot be turned off, thereby further ruining the material as part of the conversion to mp3 or aac.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/04/2008 1:30:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  5:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

quote:
Wcerto, probably the only way to make it better as an individual is to turn off the radio and listen to album's made before 1990 or so. I don't really know.

Yes... You finally got it!!

Unfortunately that seems to be more and more about all you can do. So will I avoid the next Dancing Cat release because is it too compressed? Probably not, because there will be no other way I can aquire the material, so I will play it and try to imagine how good it could have sounded.

This is why I am so Grumpy or Depressed about this issue...

There is a chance of changing this if the majority of Music Consumers get all-riled up and start returning their purchases as defective (if overcompressed), and writing to the labels with complaints, and having million-person marches in Washington, etc, etc!!!

P.S. thanks for posting the new links (excellent material), It is too bad that a lot of Commercial Music Producers don't bother to read or even understand this material, they just want it to "go to eleven".

Aloha kakou!

Well, not everyone is willing to trade quality for percieved loudness. Howard Shapiro and Gregg Perry just wrapped up a new release, Earth Patriot. For those who enjoy world music, it is - IMO - definately worth a listen. I think it has some of the finest mastering I have heard.

I am one incredibly blessed person - I've tried for 20 years to actually record my work, and one thing and another and it did not happen. Then in 2007 I was blessed with the opportunity to be on two different CDs with people I have admired for years. Mahalo ke Akua!

Here is one of the two cuts I am on. I am the Hawaiian vocals. The slack key is Keoki Kahumoku: http://www.artistsandpeace.org/Music/ep11.mp3

http://www.artistsandpeace.org/cgi-bin/artists?!8lEku0ilI8O0nd7mKmdntofHTealI5Ornn7QOtdMTdEku2mln2Car0v08ebSRggfN0iZOeCOdbvmO4dMTSnAneeOm90hnb7nv03ntgnTu6acm5n0rr7n8r2sf5EtnfmOm3b00Ce5F21nf8#11

(AKKKK!!! What a looooooooong URL! I hope it works! If not, you can Google: Perryscope Productions Earth Patriot)

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2008 :  5:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
PS -

One of the things I love about this CD is that you can play it softly and hear all the lyrics, and enjoy it, or you can play it LOUD and get the full range of everything that is going on musically.

ly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000