Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Vote for your favorite Hawaiian music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  2:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Internet voting for the 6th annual Hawaii Music Awards is underway at:

http://www.hawaiimusicawards.com

There are three nominees for slack key albums:

"Aloha Kaikua'ana" by John Keawe
"Chapter One" by Acoustic Soul (good stuff, but NOT slack key!)
"Instrumental Peace" by Barry Flanagan (formerly w/Hapa)

Other nominations of interest (incuding category):

"Pana" by Ned Ka'apana (Hawaiian Contemporary)
"Coolest Drop of Rain" by Daniel Ho (Adult Contemporary)
"Sunday Morning" by Jake Shimabukuro (Instrumental Hawaiian)
"Treasurers of Aloha" by Keoki Kahumoku & Herb Ohta Jr. (Instrumental Hawaiian)

And my personal favorite:

"Ohta San Plays the Beatles" by Ohta San (Instrumental Hawaiian??)

(Because there's just something about hearing "Get Back" played on ukulele, electric bass, drums, and a Hammond that takes me back to the sandy shores. Yup.)

Voting ends 3/15 and is open to anyone with Internet access (which puts Ohta San's CD at a distinct advantage). Free CDs will be given away randomly to those voting.

Exercise your right to vote now!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/12/2003 2:24:38 PM

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I checked that sight out - certainly not the list of nominees I would choose -- Seems to me real heavy on music aimed at the 20 year olds with a few other names, like those mentioned above, thrown in.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2003 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Kinda cool to see some registered TaroPatch.net members on the ballot: Daniel Ho, Don Kauli`a and Peter Medeiros. Good luck guys!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Congrats to all the winners! Check them at Awards recognize Hawai'i artists.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  10:57:07 AM  Show Profile
I thought that the category that Daniel Ho won: Adult Contemporary, is more than a little funny. Does it mean that all of the other Contemporary albums are for kids? Or does it mean that it is XXX rated? :-) I'm with Raymond; market demographics seem to rule. Maybe us old farts don't buy enough to count. In addition, except for a handful, the categories seemed to be so universal that the awards could have been the Hoboken NJ Music Awards as easily as the Hawaii Music Awards. The Music Industry is certainly a Music Industry (a tautology, perhaps). However, it is nice for Daniel Ho, Don Kauli`a and Peter Medeiros. Any publicity is good publicity (not a tautology).

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  2:46:26 PM  Show Profile
What follows is an editorial opinon

(aka: the ravings of an "old fart") :
(as it keys on RJS's mention of heavy focus on "youth" music)

"Page 2" In regards to the Music Industry in General

It appears that the Music Industry still has it's collective
head in an Ostritch hole. The have not appeared to notice
(even though they scream about illegal copying of music),
that the demographic that they are heavily promoting and
catering to (the under 20 crowd), no longer believes in
paying for music. I have heard many, not just a few ,
"youngun's" state that they believe, as a moral principle,
that they should not pay ANYTHING for music. It does not
seem to occur to them that the music will cease to exist
if no one pays the musicians.

The demograpic that is presently actually buying the most
music (on a per capita basis) is the over 30 crowd, who
are still not used to routinely downloading everything for
free.

I predict that there will be a shift in the music business
heavily toward independent distribution (already happening),
and toward music appealing to an older demographic.
Distributors who have targeted mostly younger folks (Like
the Wherehouse Chain) are already going out of business.

(((( I.H.M.O. ))))

As far as this year's selections are concerned, I am glad
that Daniel Ho got some recognition. I would not attempt to
call most of his stuff "traditional Hawaiian" (neither would
he) but it is good stuff nonetheless. I am sure that some
of the others who won awards (and that I am not familiar with)
are very good as well, so the above statments are not meant
to condem any of the award winners, just the mis-placed
corporate focus on only the so called "most-popular" thing.

The good thing is that this is creating a better market for
independents of all kinds.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/08/2003 9:33:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  3:22:39 PM  Show Profile
I disagree with things. While my preference is slack-key, I think Hawaiian pop music, ska music, hip-hop music, etc., is all fun stuff, and very Hawaiian. The genres are largely the same as a mainland awards show only because they're so general - you'd never confuse Hawaiian hip-hoppers B.E.T. for Oakland hip-hoppers Hieroglyphics, any more than you'd confuse slack-key for fingerstyle guitar.

I don't think it's fair to criticize music that you're not familiar with! This is particularly true with Hawaiian music, which doesn't have the massive publicity machines that, say, an NSYNC would have. Still about half of Hawaiian music charts will be locally-made music, and I think that's cool.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  5:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Not sure about whom you are speaking in your last paragraph above. I, personally, listen to most Hawaiian albums that come through Sun Jose Hawaii -- including rap, hip-hop, Jawaiian, etc. From the perspective of familiarity with most of the music, I still say that that listing of pieces for the "Hawaiian Music Awards" is definitely aimed at 20 yr olds. In addition, I will add that the selection of possible songs to vote for which are aimed at an older demographic was terrible. It definitely seemed as if the list was put together by a 20 yr old who didn't take the time to listen to that stuff aimed at older folks, or who didn't have the skills/taste/whatever to be able to pick out really good performances. Na Hoku's probably slight the music for the younger set, but at least they do a fairly good job of letting the cream of the "traditional" (read: aimed at old fogeys)recordings rise to the top. Finally, whether music is "fun" or not is not one of my major criterea for quality.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  6:08:10 PM  Show Profile
I was adressing the negative attitude of posts towards Hawaiian youth-oriented music. To re-state: I think Hawai'i has something good going on with its distinct local music scene. Living in the SF Bay Area, with a number of good local bands, there's no "California" section at the record store, or "local kine" radio stations. These bands aren't able to get by on local success, and the Bay Area music scene isn't much able to develop its own voice. So even if you prefer slack-key, it's worth keeping an open mind to other types of Hawaiian music. The success of local-style pop music benefits Hawaiian music & culture as a whole.

RJS, I find it hard to believe anybody would not like fun music, even putting "fun" in quotation marks like it's an odd choice of words! If it's not enjoyable, why bother?

Edited by - oaklandslacker on 04/08/2003 6:15:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  6:40:06 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
I have to agree with Oaklandslacker for many reasons. All of the music represented by the awards is very Hawaiian. The fact that much of it was produced by artists younger than 50, representing various styles less traditional than slack key is a good thing. Actually, if the awards committee could have dreamed up more categories and given more recognition, this would have been nice.

Rather than sniping at these awards, it's an opportunity to get onto mele.com and investigate new music ... listen and then judge. An example is Raiatea Helm who won female vocalist. What a lovely falsetto voice she has, and I have made her part of my collection. Does it matter that she's 18 years old? Certainly, it establishes her as a falsetto torch bearer for the future. I am far from being a teenager, but i no shame for buy her cd. And once you've judged, try keep your opinions private unless you have praise for an artist.

As far as implying that Hawaiian music is part of the feared and malevolent "Music Industry" ... this just is not so. There is no machine driven by fat cats, plotting and shaping taste and buying habits. To me, all hawaiian music seems to be a labor of love, most often with the artist hardly compensated for their efforts. Trying to apply a mainland skepticism to this industry seems rude. Mainland style and arrogance does not belong here!

While Taropatch.net is focused on slack key, it's still part of the whole Hawaiian scene. This scene is so varied, as are the cultures which make up the population. Certainly hula and chant are at the center of everything, with slack key, falsetto, paniolo ... maintaining core tradtions. But there are other wonderful influences representing resident cultures ... Japanese, Filipino, Spanish/Filipino, Tahitian, Samoan, Chinese, Portagee, Korena, Carribean, Spanish ..... Kamalu70 and Slackey Bill had a funny conversation about taiko drums the other day. Obon is so nice. There also prevails an attitude of appreciation and respect, as these cultures have blended and learned to live together. Everytime I meet someone who will share secrets of their culture with me, I'm so grateful. A good cd is this kind of sharing as well. These awards reflect this local style diversity, with delicious flavors.

It would probably be best if this site represented aloha. That's what I come here for, not to listen to grumpy people. I don't think that grumpy or complaining feels good for anybody ... (laughing). Or maybe Andy could create a Grumpy section on the site for sounding off ... like a punching bag to vent frustrations. Or maybe we could develop a new style slack key .. grumpy slack key ..... sort like a grunge ting. Would be best plugged in with mega distortion. Or maybe a Black Sabbeth Nanea Kou Maka .. nah nah nahh na na nah nahhhhhhhh (squeal, feedback, kick a hole in the amp and smash guitar, glaring triumphantly at an adoring audience, flipping the bird. Imagine Unco Ray or John Keawe doing this ..... no can.

We all have our tastes and preferences, and this is what we buy. These awards have inspired me to buy more. And remember, every young person will some day be old ... they just have less experience more energy. Hopefully they won't be cranky and kick my dog.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  7:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
David,

Thanks for your aloha, good points and good laughs.

If Kurt Kobain had played slack key (and had less herion) maybe he'd still be around today.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  8:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
thats an idea, black sabbath slack key, i just might have to dust off the les paul, lets see, a fusion of paranoid and punahele, punanoid!

Lee
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  8:59:43 PM  Show Profile
A comment or two on oaklandslacker's and david's last posts:
Dear oaklandslacker - I agreed that Hawaii's local music scene seems pretty good and nurturing - at least from the times I visit there. In general, some styles I like, some I don't - example - I don't like most ska. I would not hold my ability to judge ska in very high regard, 'cause I don't really like it. It should be judged by people who can appreciate it and what it has to offer. All styles should be judged for quality by people whop really appreciate those styles. By the way, I buy music by Hawaiian cd's that I don't really like, and I do so for two reasons - 1) I believe musicians in the overall realm of Hawaiian music should be supported and 2) I make myself listen to things even if i don't at first like them so that I won't get completely stuck. Sometimes on repeated plays I get surprised. (Sometimes on repeated plays I end up not liking something I liked on first listen.) As to the word "fun" - I put it in quotation marks because I think it is too "fuzzy" a word. Let me quickly explain with an example. One of my very favorite pieces of music is Benjamin Britten's "War Requiem." To me, it is a beautiful and profoundly moving piece, incredibly well written. Do I have "fun" listening to it? I woundn't call my experience "fun." I use that example when, of the top of my head, I could have just as easily used any of 12 - 15 other pieces. On the other hand, a lot of music is "fun" -- think of the fun experiences people had when listening to the Tin Pan Alley versions of Hawaiian music in the 20's, 30's and 40's. Fun. Good music that should have won awards? Not in my opinion. That's why I don't like to use a category like "fun" in making a judgement on a piece of music or a collection.

Dear David,
I, too, enjoyed Helm's album and think she has a great future if she keeps at it. Do I think that that CD was the best falsetto album released last year. Sorry, far from it. The question isn't if it is an album worth listening to, but is it the "best" of that year.
Perhaps the tone of some of the comments was a bit harsh. Maybe you can suggest some ways we can disagree on topics with a different tone? It seems to me that our comments on this site are going to reflect who we are and the world we live in - and that will include disagreements, differences of opinion, likes and dislikes. I don't know about your family, but when my clan gets together there are arguments at times, sometimes over politics, somethimes religion, and other stuff. We argue, but by the end of the party or get together, we're "friends and family" If you can suggest other ways of that happening on this site, I would love to hear it.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  10:22:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Maybe you can suggest some ways we can disagree on topics with a different tone? It seems to me that our comments on this site are going to reflect who we are and the world we live in - and that will include disagreements, differences of opinion, likes and dislikes.
I was not the one being asked but will chime in anyway. I like to think of our online community as `ohana, family, not by blood but of a different sort. One of the disadvantages of discussing things online versus face to face is that printed words are far more likely to be misunderstood, misinterpreted, whatever.

Nothing is wrong with disagreeing with one another. In fact, I think it shows the diversity of our group and the resulting varying opinions and experiences are far more interesting than if everyone here had the same opinion about everything.

As long as the discussions and differing opinions are presented civilly as they are here, there are no problems at all. As for remembering we’re all "friends and family" at the end of the party, please just come back!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  11:13:59 PM  Show Profile
Andy,
Thanks for the response.
I was seriously soliciting ideas for "civil" methods of posting disagreements. This is the only site like this I have time for, so I'm not sure what goes on in different sites. Also, I come from a background where taking another's ideas seriously enough to argue with them is usually a compliment -- but there are a lot of non-verbals involved in this kind of interchange.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  11:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Raymond,

When I think of you, I'm filled with nothing but good feeling. You have shown me aloha and also the taropatch ohana and I am grateful. When I feel important values or qualities are challenged or misunderstood, I will defend them as will most of us. But Andy is right in that we should enjoy the diversity here and have a good time. When eventual disagreements occur, as long as they are conducted respectfully, and with a aloha, everything will be fine. Sorry I got carried away being a bit kolohe, but I can not help this sometimes. I was laughing so hard when I got on a roll .. just tune me out.

This site is a remarkable window into the way very special members think ... one of the best that I have ever seen ..... so I wouldn't change a thing. Andy's site is an absolute gem, and it is evolving this way because of the contributions. It's not just the slack key, but the spirit and humanity behind it that I find so fascinating. This forum has a spirit which you won't find on dry and officious guitar forums. The good feeling is here.

aloha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000