Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Vote for your favorite Hawaiian music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  01:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I love ska. I like polkas too.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  02:09:48 AM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou!
Hey, bruddahs, you miss da bestest? What about John Keawe winning an award? I'm so pleased for him - a beautiful ki ho'alu player who has maybe not had in the past the recognition he so richly deserves.
He has such a humble attitude about his playing and music, but it wlays is filled with aloha. Ho'omaika'i John! Rock on!!!!

cathe
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  02:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Amen to that award for John. Love his stuff, but I don't think he's recorded a ki ho'alu polka. Now I hear those guys in San Diego have been doing some experimenting in this regards. Beer Barrel wasn't it? One of these days when I get time - like that might actually happen - I think I might try to work up a piece that was popular in the 60's in the Chicago area called "Tic Tock Polka." Maybe even try to medley it with the rancero piece "Reloy." Yeah, a medley, that sounds good. Yeah a polka and a ranchero piece in slack key. Yeah.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  11:31:20 AM  Show Profile
RJS says:
quote:
Now I hear those guys in San Diego have been doing some experimenting in this regards. Beer Barrel wasn't it?

Raymond, I think you are confused. We drink from the beer barrel.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  5:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Hey, nobody answered my question about the meaning of the category that Daniel Ho won. Is it (Adult) XXX or what? :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  6:53:49 PM  Show Profile
Reid: yes
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  7:38:32 PM  Show Profile
And, if you've seen Daniel playing music in the buff, you'll know what we mean!!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 04/09/2003 8:11:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  8:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wdf

RJS says:
quote:
Now I hear those guys in San Diego have been doing some experimenting in this regards. Beer Barrel wasn't it?

Raymond, I think you are confused. We drink from the beer barrel.

Raymond the Southern California Slack Key Society in San Diego is having a BBQ on 4/30 come on down and we will let you see our Beer Barrels.
Go to Top of Page

kamalu70
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  9:53:17 PM  Show Profile  Send kamalu70 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha gang:

Just wanted to put my 12 cents (...inflation man) in. I believe that the Hawaiian music recording industry may not be as corporately contrived as it is on the mainland, but still, it appears that labels and producers seek out talent that they believe will sell records. It's no mystery to me why most of the stuff being released today is in the pop or jawaiian vein....that's what sells. I personally don't listen to most of it, prefering more traditional stuff, but I have to admit that every once in a while I am very blown away by some of the talent we have in Hawaii today. An example would be the last CD released by Nathan Aweau...very Hawaiian-pop but with high production values, some great original material in Hawaiian, good arrangements and instrumentation (killer guitar by Benny Chong!). When I first heard it at a friend's house, the music just about reached out and grabbed me by the neck.

I know a lot of people who rag on the current jawaiian stuff, but to me it's just another phase in the long history of Hawaiian music. I realize that over the years, there have been many musical styles that have greatly influenced Hawaiian musicians....syncopated and hot jazz in the 20s and 30s - stuff played by people like Sol Hoopii and Bennie Nawahi....big band stuff in the late 30s and 40s - Johnny Noble, Andy Aiona. I collect Hawaiian 78rpm records, and I listen to all this stuff. What is obvious to me is that even if there is perhaps one musical genre that almost totally takes over the market during a certain time period, you still have stuff coming out that does not follow the mainstream, and it is true til this day. You can call it Hawaiian music for a niche market or whatever...but it seems most of the local music I buy nowadays is far from the mainstream, simply because it seems like more traditional stuff is not considered mainstream.

Peter Medeiros' Koolau CD is one of my current favorites. I may be biased cause Peter used to come over to my house a bunch in the early 70s, and he's probably the first person I ever saw play slack key live and up close. If his current CD had been released in the 70s, I believe it would have been considered mainstream at the time. Today, I consider it a "breath of fresh air."

play on,
kamalu
Go to Top of Page

ciha
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  10:04:47 PM  Show Profile
Hello all. I have been passively reading these posts for a while without writing in (reminds me that I once heard you can tell the local kids at UH because they never raise their hands or speak in class)

Anyway, this thread made me think of some comments earlier regarding the effects of music or other cultural phenomena moving beyond their host cultures. I think the widespread attention given to more 'traditional' art forms may sometimes cause one to forget the cultural context from which they originate, and the other, less-exported forms of cultural expression. Ie - Jawaiian, pop, etc. are also legitimate forms of musical expression (artists are from Hawaii, they play music, so must be Hawaiian music, no?) Jawaiian is interesting in itself - I once heard a linguistics professor compare it to reggae not only in sound, but also in the colonial histories of Hawaii and Jamaica.

The music is also an expression of the dynamics at work in Hawaii - the multiculturalism, service-oriented economy, historical and social tensions, native rights, increased out-migration of Hawaii residents, etc. Augie Tulba's albums, for example, remind me of old Booga Booga skits that have been reworked for the present issues affecting Hawaii.

The fact that the awards could have taken place in any other state isn't necessarily a bad thing. Rather than illlustrating an ordinariness about the music, the awards reflect a local culture that has evolved with the times and embodies the same kinds of issues and complexities expected of any contemporary society. The music on display also reflects the fact that, despite Hawaii's uniqueness, its people have the same kinds of concerns and priorities as other Americans (I remember cringing every time a toruist said they're returning to "the states")

At the same time, I think the postings on this website reflect a degree of cultural sensitivity much greater than what I often encounter on the street. Great emphasis on ohana and aloha!

Oh well, just my 2 cents. I hope I'm not just copying Lawrence's and others' prior posts. apologies in advance. Great website - helped convince me to learn slack key after all these years!

-Craig

Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  12:15:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou.
Nicely put, Craig, you summed up the situation so well. I don't listen to the Jawaiian very much, old auntie here likes pack porch ki ho'alu, but I respect the new wave that made it happen. Wonder wha'ts nex'?

Now, about that party. . . . . did someone mention beer? And BBQ? <G>

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  09:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Daniel Ho (Adult Contemporary)

XXX?!?! You decide.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Andy,

That's so funny.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  2:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
apologies in advance.
No apologies necessary ciha! Thanks for the compliments and for dropping by.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000