Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Grammys -- broadcasting online!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  05:43:50 AM  Show Profile
From today's Honolulu Advertiser comes the news that this year's Hawaiian Grammys will be broadcast "live" online! Uiha!

Full article, here:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080201/NEWS01/802010352/1190/NEWS01

Yikes! Here's a tinyurl for that page:
http://tinyurl.com/349q2v

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  05:08:02 AM  Show Profile
Any prognosticators who will go on record as to whom they believe will win the Grammy for Hawaiian music. I will say Cyril Pahinui for He'eia. I say so for several reasons: a) it is a darn swell recording b) it is slack key c) Cyril's voice d) Cyril's family legacy e) Marketing

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  07:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Any prognosticators who will go on record as to whom they believe will win the Grammy for Hawaiian music. I will say Cyril Pahinui for He'eia. I say so for several reasons: a) it is a darn swell recording b) it is slack key c) Cyril's voice d) Cyril's family legacy e) Marketing

My mother told me never to prognosticate in public. But my guess is Tia Carrere for Hawaiiana because a) national on-again, off-again movie and TV star and b) the voting block doesn't know any better.

For the record, it is a pretty cool album. But for what it's worth I do not believe it represents Hawai`i as well as Cyril or Rai.

But while we're on the topic, I believe that Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" is the most worthy CD for "Album Of The Year." But the chances of a pure jazz album winning in that category are about as slim as the chances of a traditional Hawaiian album winning in its category.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  11:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

But while we're on the topic, I believe that Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" is the most worthy CD for "Album Of The Year." But the chances of a pure jazz album winning in that category are about as slim as the chances of a traditional Hawaiian album winning in its category.
I am a Grammy voter (as are a number of forum participants), and I have my guess as to who will take the Hawaiian Album award - but I never say, just as I won't tell who I voted for.

So why am I even bothering to post? To take a long-winded way to say I agree with Bill, regarding "River." Though surprises do occur: considering the music on the disc, who woulda thought the soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" would get Album of the Year in 2001?

Despite past awards for vocal albums by Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, Natalie Cole and Frank Sinatra, a straight-ahead jazz disc hasn't taken the Album award since 1964 (Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto).

So - what was the topic again...?
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  11:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

I am a Grammy voter (as are a number of forum participants), and I have my guess as to who will take the Hawaiian Album award - but I never say, just as I won't tell who I voted for.

So why am I even bothering to post? To take a long-winded way to say I agree with Bill, regarding "River." Though surprises do occur: considering the music on the disc, who woulda thought the soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" would get Album of the Year in 2001?

Despite past awards for vocal albums by Ray Charles, Tony Bennett, Natalie Cole and Frank Sinatra, a straight-ahead jazz disc hasn't taken the Album award since 1964 (Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto).

So - what was the topic again...?

Well, to be fair, I took the editors of USA Today to task with this the other day. They claimed no jazz disc had taken the award since Getz/Gilberto (one of my favorites). But I don't see Hancock's River as straight-ahead jazz. It is half vocals featuring some Grammy darlings like Norah Jones and Joni Mitchell. And many such CDs have won. (You mentioned them all, I think.)

I don't think a hard bop CD would ever take the "Album Of The Year" award. But River was extremely accessible even to those who don't really dig jazz. Hancock just makes simply great music. He should have been nominated previously for Possibiilties (which featured duets with Sting, Annie Lennox, Carlos Santana, and Paul Simon) or previous to that for the Gershwin Songbook (more classic collaborations that defy categorization). The pity is that an "Album Of The Year" win for a recording of unsung (and undersold) beauty like River could attract some new listeners (the way that Paul Simon's win for Graceland helped him double his sales after the win), while it seems like everybody in this nation and their brother has a copy of the Amy Winehouse and Kanye West releases already. (I have all of the "Album Of The Year" nominated CDs. Man cannot live by Hawaiian music alone!)

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  12:51:15 PM  Show Profile

Maybe man cannot, but Ohio haole woman can (and does). I even have to yell at Paul when I get in his truck and he is playing bluegrass music. Sheesh!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  03:11:10 AM  Show Profile

quote:
For the record, it is a pretty cool album. But for what it's worth I do not believe it represents Hawai`i as well as Cyril or Rai.

I agree.
I think Tia is sings well and is a very nice looking woman but her style comes off a little out of touch to me. I would rather see them honor a slack-key player/singer with "grass roots" Hawaiian soul and heratige. That would be Cyril.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  04:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Maybe man cannot, but Ohio haole woman can (and does). I even have to yell at Paul when I get in his truck and he is playing bluegrass music. Sheesh!

I was interviewed once after the falsetto contest. The interviewer characterized me as "obsessed" with Hawaiian music. We were in a restaurant and talking over burgers and fries. I said, "You like french fries? How much would you like them if you had to eat them every day of your life?"

The interesting thing about Hawaiian music - something I try to elucidate in my radio show every week - is that because it is among the newest of the world musics to spring out of nothingness, it has borrowed heavily from other music around the world and, in particular, what has happened on the mainland. You can take any era of Hawaiian music and find the parallels between what was happening in Hawai`i and what was happening in the mainland music scene. I think it is interesting to hear Hawaiian music and American pop music from the same period and compare and contrast.

We have been talking about Peter Moon. He is clearly one of the most inventive slack key artists ever. When he was a kid, he wasn't listening to slack key guitarists. He was listening to Les Paul, Django Reinhardt, and Tal Farlow. Later, he relied heavily on the influences of the Beatles and Rolling Stones. If you have heard these other artists, then listen again to Peter Moon and you find yourself saying, "Check that out! I know where that's coming from now." I feel more connected to an artist through this process.

Kahauanu Lake and Eddie Kamae didn't listen to other `ukulele artists in their formative years. They listened to jazz guitarists.

Would there ever have been the Kalima Brothers, Richard Kauhi Quartette, or Johnny Spencer's Kona Coasters had there never been a King Cole Trio, Page Cavanaugh Trio, Joe Bushkin, or other creators of the West Coast cool jazz movement?

Would there ever have been The Invitations, The Surfers, or the Society of Seven had there never been The Hi-Los, The Lettermen, The Four Freshmen, or Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross?

Would there have been an Arthur Lyman had there been no Lionel Hampton or Red Norvo?

Would there ever have been a Cecilio and Kapono or Kalapana had there not been a CSNY, Seals and Croft, America, or Loggins and Messina?

And the music of Alvin Kaleolani Isaacs, John Almeida (and his protegé, Genoa Keawe), and Benny Kalama would have been drastically different had there never been a Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, or Woody Herman.

To be completely fair, Hawai`i has given back to the music world as much as it has taken. Country/Western music will never be the same since the introduction of the steel guitar. And guitarists as diverse as Chet Atkins, Carlos Santana, Eric Clapton, and Ry Cooder were obsessed with slack key. Some pop artists don't play any song in standard tuning. Joni Mitchell has a different tuning for every song she writes.

Evolution doesn't just happen. It results from forces pushing and pulling on each other until things bend or even break. There are only 12 notes in the scale and a finite number of ways to put them together.

The reason I like - no, love - Hawaiian music is because it brings together everything else I love about every other kind of music. But I wouldn't appreciate that fact had I never been exposed to the other kinds of music.

In my CD changer right now (and I would highly recommend any of them):

Amy Winehouse / Herbie Hancock / Taylor Swift / Beck / Shelby Lynne / Fergie / Colbie Caillat / Chrisette Michele / Feist / Horace Silver / Lee Morgan / Miles Davis / Astrud Gilberto / Django Reinhardt / Kanye West / Rihanna / Christina Aguilera / Joni Mitchell / Fountains Of Wayne / Bruce Springsteen / Frank Sinatra / Queen Latifah / Les Paul

(A little heavy on the New Jersey artists. Those last five are from my home state. New Jersey reprensentin', yo.)

When one steps away from Hawaiian music for even just a moment, you appreciate it so much more when you come back. And you are less likely to miss out on a classic in another genre.

I love being in Hawai`i and hanging out with musicians. Jeff Au Hoy is obsessed with classic jazz (and plays a mean piano and upright bass). So when you listen to his steel guitar playing, that is more Charlie Parker than David Keli`i. And Barry Kimokeo is listening to Eric Johnson and the hardest hard rockers imaginable.

Music is an education. Music is life. It is playing everywhere I go, 24 hours a day. I fall asleep to the CD changer, I wake up to the CD changer. I get dressed to VH1's "Jump Start."

I am not obsessed with Hawaiian music. Apparently, I am obsessed with music. Period.

I would love to hear what others are listening to when they are not listening to Hawaiian music. I find the best new music from other people's recommendations.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/08/2008 06:22:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  05:38:32 AM  Show Profile
David Lindley

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UXeqblkA6Y0

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  07:12:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Amy Winehouse / Herbie Hancock / Taylor Swift / Beck / Shelby Lynne / Fergie / Colbie Caillat / Chrisette Michele / Feist / Horace Silver / Lee Morgan / Miles Davis / Astrud Gilberto / Django Reinhardt / Kanye West / Rihanna / Christina Aguilera / Joni Mitchell / Fountains Of Wayne / Bruce Springsteen / Frank Sinatra / Queen Latifah / Les Paul / David Lindley

All Great Stuff!!

(Just saw Lindley in Santa Cruz... loved that "Seminole Bingo")

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  09:27:33 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence, I was at that concert also. I felt like I was listening to a force of nature or something. So much power and drive coming out of David Lindley's guitar.

Turn your speakers up!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AD6phdJxUFs

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2008 :  10:27:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
So much power and drive coming out of David Lindley's guitar.
Yes- Nice tone, but it was NOT Ear-Splitting in the sixth row (unlike the last HAPA concert I attended - which was ear-splitting even in the 20th row).

I sure liked the way David would "settle-in" to a great groove on every tune.

Of course, he and Bob shared a Hawaiian number or two as well, if I remember correctly.

Looking forward to the Grammy Show in any case!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/08/2008 10:31:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  05:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Cleveland's Robert Lockwood, Jr. is up for a posthumous Grammy this year.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  07:00:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

I am not obsessed with Hawaiian music. Apparently, I am obsessed with music. Period.
Mind if I sit next to you in that boat, Bill? That's why I've chosen the career paths I have, from radio to music programming to album production to performing to writing about music. That's also why such a huge piece of my little home's real estate is given over to storage of recordings --- somewhere around 2500 vinyl albums, probably more than 3500 CDs, another 2500 cassettes...

What do I listen to? What do you want to hear - I get 'em. Most recent acquisitions: three-disc reissue of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack (by Vangelis) and "Day Trip" by the Pat Metheny Trio.
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  1:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Jack says taht there are only 2 kinds of music, good and bad, and he plays'em both.
John Hartford said, "Style is based on limitation."
Genre also. Each instrument has limitations, each tuning also. Combinations of instruments, timing, scales, etc. Add some ono grinds an' inu, get one pahty.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  2:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

Mind if I sit next to you in that boat, Bill? That's why I've chosen the career paths I have, from radio to music programming to album production to performing to writing about music. That's also why such a huge piece of my little home's real estate is given over to storage of recordings --- somewhere around 2500 vinyl albums, probably more than 3500 CDs, another 2500 cassettes...

What do I listen to? What do you want to hear - I get 'em. Most recent acquisitions: three-disc reissue of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack (by Vangelis) and "Day Trip" by the Pat Metheny Trio.

There is no room left in the boat. I have over 7000 LPs, 1500 CDs, 1200 cassettes, 800 open reels, and miscellaneous 78s and 45s. The collection is at least 1/3 Hawaiian and the bulk of the remainder is classic jazz and rock. But there is also plenty of country, classical, and world music (heavy on the Brazilian). Today's listening was the Blue Note Rudy Van Gelder reissues of Lee Morgan, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, McCoy Tyner, and Bobby Hutcherson. And I started my day over coffee and the New York Times with the incredible new k.d. lang release. Sunday mornings are reserved for Sinatra - my second obsession after anything Hawaiian. I began collecting Sinatra rarities and ephemera as a kid - things like complete session tapes (the multiple takes of every song from the multiple sessions that result in one 44 minute LP, including gaffs, bad notes, and Sinatra cursing at arrangers, conductors, and out of tune floutists) and bootleg concerts (including appearances at the White House).

(We should get this out of this forum where we are probably starting to bore people...)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000