Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Grammys -- broadcasting online!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  09:15:47 AM  Show Profile
Can't seem to get thru to the "pre-cast" link at grammy.com

The grammy.com site says the pre-cast starts at 1PM PST, I guess
that the 11AM time in the Advertiser was Honolulu time.

What is suspicious is that some of the other links at grammy.com
don't seem to be working either.

Anyone else having problems like these?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just checked the site - no problem for me (but I had to "allow pop-ups" at that site first.)
You are correct, the pre-show is at 1 pm PT.
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:28:39 AM  Show Profile
It's happening, but it's gonna be a long afternoon. Pretty lame.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Yeah - I am connected now, but I had to download and install some
obnoxious Microsoft "SilverSh*t" software. Just nice to know that
in order to watch a lame program that I have to submit to abuse and cavity searches.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/10/2008 11:38:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile
No, not the compilation again. Oh well, its all good.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  3:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by bubba

No, not the compilation again. Oh well, its all good.

Aue. We all know who won by now and yet it is dark and quiet here.

Somebody say something! Is it really all good?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  3:47:18 PM  Show Profile
The album is excellent. It's about excellence, not about taking turns.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  3:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Raiatea was not rewarded for being the most outstanding female voclaist that exists in Hawai`i at the present time. That what you wanted to hear. Does it make your pain go away. It doesn't help mine. I only sound bitter because I am. But I'll find a way to cope.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  4:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

The album is excellent. It's about excellence, not about taking turns.

They were all excellent. All of the current crop of slack key guitar CDs are! But when you are presented with five different flavors of vanilla, unless your tastebuds are supersensitive, how do you know which one is the best?

I love slack key as much as any of you do. I really do. But it is not the lone art form that represents Hawai`i.

I am not complaining about taking turns. (I didn't know it was somebody else's turn.)

[Lengthy rant about language requirements deleted. My real issue inserted below.]

I think what concerns me is that there are so many facets of Hawaiian music but I fear that the repeat wins of slack key-oriented recordings is going to paint too limited a picture of what Hawaiian music is all about. Artists like Keali`i Reichel and the Brothers Cazimero incorporate so many different elements that are nothing like the CDs that have been winning. Same should be said of the traditionalists like Raiatea Helm or Na Palapalai. And it would be nice to see a recording win that incorporated some steel guitar or those traditional Hawaiian harmonies.

I just don't want the world to get the wrong impression of all that Hawaiian music encompasses.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/10/2008 6:31:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  5:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Yeah - I am connected now, but I had to download and install some
obnoxious Microsoft "SilverSh*t" software. Just nice to know that
in order to watch a lame program that I have to submit to abuse and cavity searches.
Hm. Didn't need that here - but I don't know what your system is, of course.

quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

I love slack key as much as any of you do. I really do. But it is not the lone art form that represents Hawai`i.

I am complaining because until such time as a CD with Hawaiian lyrics takes this award the singers in Hawai`i continue to live in obscurity as does much of Hawai`i's rich cultural heritage.

How does anyone know what Hawai`i is about from these endless stream of instrumental winners? ... At least there were some vocals on this winning CD (and some really beautiful ones at that).
And you are aware that the winners from the two previous years were also half-vocal, half-instrumental discs as well? Not sure I understand this part of the complaint; vocals have been a major part of three out of four winners to date.

As to whether these albums best represent Hawaiian music --- it's the Grammys, for Akua's sake. It's about the votes of industry people, it's not about the general listening public, and it's CERTAINLY not about the full range of any specific musical genre. People need to stop expecting the Grammy Awards to represent all of what those of us in the know understand about Hawaiian music.

Hawaiian music celebrates its own in multiple ways - we got the Hokus, we got radio and internet shows, we got newspaper articles, we got touring acts, we got record companies - all dedicated to this little, wonderful musical niche. Oh yeah - and now we're big enough to get a little sideways attention from the national recording industry. How many other regional genres get all of that? Mighty strong industry we got there in those distant and isolated islands, and something to be proud of.

Congratulations to Daniel, George, Wayne, Paul & all the artists involved.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

But while we're on the topic, I believe that Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" is the most worthy CD for "Album Of The Year." But the chances of a pure jazz album winning in that category are about as slim as the chances of a traditional Hawaiian album winning in its category.
I am a Grammy voter (as are a number of forum participants), and I have my guess as to who will take the Hawaiian Album award - but I never say, just as I won't tell who I voted for.

So why am I even bothering to post? To take a long-winded way to say I agree with Bill, regarding "River." Though surprises do occur: considering the music on the disc, who woulda thought the soundtrack to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" would get Album of the Year in 2001?
Holy crap. The Herbie Hancock CD actually won.

Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  07:23:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
And it would be nice to see a recording win that incorporated some steel guitar or those traditional Hawaiian harmonies.

But of course the Album that won does have steel guitar. And a pretty good example of it with Bobby Ingano, along with some traditional Hawaiian harmony.

quote:
Hm. Didn't need that here - but I don't know what your system is, of course.
Probably because you already have M.S. "SilverScreen" installed. The grammy site was pretty insistent that the content could not be played without it on my XP SP2 laptop using I.E. with M.S. Media player.

quote:
Holy crap. The Herbie Hancock CD actually won.
I was going to buy that one this week as I had just heard a review on PBS and I have a strong appreciation of both Herbie and Joni.

Yes, it was nice to see something like that win for a change (first time in 43 years according to Herbie).

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/11/2008 07:32:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  07:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Yes, it was nice to see something like that win for a change (first time in 43 years according to Herbie).

It depends on how and what you count. It has indeed been 43 years since a straight-ahead jazz album won (Getz/Gilberto). But Herbie's latest is partly instrumental and partly vocal. Jazz-oriented vocal albums have won quite recently, including Natalie Cole and Tony Bennett.

And thanks for the reminder that there was steel guitar on the Treasures CD. Cool.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  08:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Probably because you already have M.S. "SilverScreen" installed. The grammy site was pretty insistent that the content could not be played without it on my XP SP2 laptop using I.E. with M.S. Media player.
Not to my knowledge - I was using Firefox, rather than IE, and that may have made some difference. Either way, it sucks to feel forced into accepting some unfamiliar software in order to view a website's content. I'll certainly mention it to "higher-ups" at our local NARAS chapter.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  08:42:07 AM  Show Profile
quote:
I was using Firefox, rather than IE
No doubt that makes a difference, as the "plugins" are different for Mozilla. I am a bit grumpy about such things these days, but what irks me most is that I could play other video content just fine (like you tube, etc), so why did I need this "tool". I suspect that "Uncle Bill" made an arrangement with NARAS involving significant amounts of cash.

Fortunately, I have a mirror drive for this system and I will rebuild the C: drive. There are a few other unwanted "styrofoam garbage" equivalent junk software items that I want to get rid of anyway.

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/11/2008 08:42:36 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000