Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 "On Supporting Recording Artists"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  05:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Basil, I have two Hawaiian music radio shows here on Kaua`i -- www.kkcr.org, the state's only community (rural, non-commercial) radio station -- which broadcasts on radio across Kaua`i, as well as online live 24/7. So my comments come as a result of a few years of doing these shows.

Commercial radio stations here in Hawai`i play pre-programmed music...those selections are on a "loop". The on-air personality is merely a DJ...an announcer who interjects his/her script at spots during the show. S/he is assisted by an engineer and/or an assistant who actually plays the music and handles all the other aspects of the broadcast (phones, engineering, etc.) Unfortunately, very few of the commercial radio stations which play Hawaiian music, tell the listener what they just heard. Soooooooooo annoying!

All of us who are on-air at KKCR, are programmers -- we choose our music ourselves (without interference from management), answer phones, and run our shows ourselves -- no engineer, no assistant, etc. We are trained to play 2-3 songs, followed by "you just heard..." listing the song, the musician, and the title of the CD or vinyl just played. Some of the programmers (myself included) occasionally forget to give that information -- especially if we're inundated with calls (we take requests), or have station business which needs our attention (surf/weather reports, news flash...or report of a missing dog). 8-)

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  06:33:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I've worked in radio in various capacities for over thirty years, and my own on-air style has always included back-announcing every cut, for most of the very reasons cited above, and primarily for the sake of the listener's interest.

Having said that, let me make note of two things. First, in the case of community radio stations (which, frankly, is where you will hear most Hawaiian music on the mainland), contrary to Basil's comment, the DJ is not making a living doing these shows - they are generally volunteers.

Second, the technology exists, is used extensively by commercial broadcasters in America, and is now being seen more commonly at the non-commercial level, to have real-time and archived playlists available via computer. We use it at KBCS, so listeners can immediately see what song is playing now, or was just spun ten minutes ago, or played in a set three weeks back and beyond.

Granted, that does you absolutely no immediate good when you are driving down the road listening, or somewhere else without a computer handy, though you can check later (or use an iFone, Crackberry or similar mobile device). But it does provide yet another service to listeners, making available the information they desire.

But yeah - I want to hear pieces back-announced as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  07:35:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
When I was in college in LA, one of my favorite DJs was a guy on a local jazz station. He scrupulously back-announced each and every song, adding information about the musicians and even historical trivia about the artists, session, etc.

Only one problem. He was a first generation Japanese-American with an absolutely impenetrable accent.

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  07:52:51 AM  Show Profile
Mark -- too funny! Some of our programmers give extensive background information about recordings...and some listeners grumble. Some of our programmers give zero background information...and some listeners grumble. Sigh... But hopefully, we all back announce whenever possible.

Retro -- KKCR is also an all-volunteer, listener- and grant-supported project, always low on funds. We'd love to have the ability to provide real-time and archived playlists for all our shows. Please point me to a resource, 'kay?

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  08:45:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
Mark - Ironically, my radio "hero" was/is an announcer on Philadephia's jazz radio station, Temple University's listener-supported WRTI. Bob Perkins tells you so much about the artist, the sidemen, the genesis of the song that you almost think he was at the recording sessions! That is radio, to me. (If I just wanted to hear music, I would dive into my collection.) As a kid, Perkins had me spending my allowance and lawn-mowing money on the best artists I had never heard before.

Auntie Maria - I love your show and your style. I'm sorry I don't tune in more often, but my employer has cut off access to all streaming radio for our 2,800 employees in an attempt at conserving radio. So I can only listen on vacation days or when I am home sick. I will certainly support KKCR in the fund drive. Keep up the great work!

Although not listener supported, you may be surprised to learn that the hosts over at 50th State Radio are volunteers, as well. I suppose almost everyone interested in perpetuating this music does so largely on a volunteer basis.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Basil Henriques
Lokahi

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  2:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Basil Henriques's Homepage
My comments were not related to the subject so I do apologize and I'll post them elsewhere..

Edited by - Basil Henriques on 04/25/2008 2:57:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000