Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Waikiki Beach Marriott Hotel: Kuo, Pahinui, Mahi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Aloha everyone,

George Kuo has been extremely supportive in his praise for this site. Here is a snippet from an email he sent me about his regular gig on O`ahu.
quote:
I perform with Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi every Sunday (unless we are on tour) at the Waikiki Beach Marriott Hotel from 6 to 9 PM. Free 4 hr parking in their garage. We are at the Ocean Terrace, Kalakaua Ave. tower, 3rd floor, overlooking Kuhio Beach. They have ono barbeque grill pupus, like char siu ribs, sushi, kalua pig, ceaser salad, hamburgers. Our performance is the same as what you hear on the Waialea Jammin CD.

Aloha pumehana,
George Kuo

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  3:05:16 PM  Show Profile
That Ocean Terrace is the only place I really like in Waikiki. The hotel used to be the Hawaiian Regent and has always had great Hawaiian entertainment. We caught George and Martin and Dennis and Kawika there one night and it was the highlight of our Waikiki stay. They are all great to talk to and George not only played his doubleneck to perfection, he, quiet, shy, retiring George Kuo, was the front man for the group and had great patter and told really funny stories, some of them of real historical value, besides being entertaining. Ask him about Sonny playing at Duke's sometime...:-)

The pupus *are* good, BTW. They have an open grill away over in the Southwest corner. I thought they were inexpensive, too. What more could you want - ono music, ono grinds, beautiful sunset...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  03:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
If you get a chance to catch these guys on O`ahu or while tour, it is a great time. Just got back from the Waikiki Beach Marriott Hotel where I caught 2 out of 3 sets. George Kuo (double neck acoustic), Martin Pahinui (slack key guitar), Aaron Mahi (Bass) were joined by guests Kiki Hugo (`ukulele) and Bobby Ingano (lap steel). These guys played a lot of traditional songs in a really fun back yard jam style.

George Kuo plugged this site big time and dedicated Whee Ha Swing to the TaroPatch.net `ohana. Man, does George smoke on that song! Great music and stories. A guest female vocalist/friend from Seattle on Kaua`i Aloha as well as a couple of spontaneous hulas from audience member/friends. If you're in Honolulu, I highly recommend going to the Waikiki Beach Marriott Hotel to see this group as well as the many other Hawaiian acts performing on other days of the week. Thank you guys for the aloha and wonderful music.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  04:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Andy, you lucky dog you!

Sounded like a fun show alright.
That terrace is fantastic. Genoa Keawe's there on Thursday nights, with her son on Bass, Danny Akaka on slide, another auntie on guitar makes for a great show. And, yeah, ALWAYS special guests showing-up.
I'm glad George and the guys will be coming to the West Coast this Spring.
Hey, have fun over there for all of us.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 02/24/2003 04:12:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2003 :  02:14:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha ahiahi kakou, I was fortunate to catch George, Martin and Aaron in Santa Cruz when they toured here. It was such a wonderful, easy-going nahenahe concert, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You can bet that if I'm anywhere around Waikiki I will make a supreme effort to go see them again. Julie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2003 :  12:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Interesting article in today's Honolulu Advertiser in remembrance and honor of Eddie Aikau and the Hokule`a. Kiki Huhgo (whom I saw perform at the Marriot) is mentioned.

Eddie's sacrifice ensured his legacy — and Hokule`a's mission

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  02:06:33 AM  Show Profile
Good news for fans of George Kuo, Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi. Their new CD is _indeed_ coming from Dancing Cat this year. No official release date yet...

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000