Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mahina o Hoku - Strumming Pattern
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2008 :  1:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Please listen to Rupert Tripp doing "Mahina O Hoku" from one of my favorite CDs, Hula Big Island Style.

http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/2910_04.mp3

Could anyone please help me figure out the strumming pattern used at the beginning of the song, right after the intro vamps. Matter of fact what strumming pattern for the intro? I want to learn this on the `ukulele, but also, then I want Paul to join in on the 12-string. Is this done in normal tuning and not slack key? I really like this verson of the mele, but pretty much, I enjoy every version of it that I have heard, like Sista Robi.

Here are lyrics:

Mahina O Hoku - Lillian Awa

Auhea wale `oe
Mahina o hoku
Ho`ike a`e `oe
A i kou nani

Ua l`i na kai
Mehameha na pali
O `oe a`o wau
E ho`oipoipo nei

E moani keala
O ka pua hinano
E apo mai `oe
Me ku`u aloha

Ha`ina kou inoa
Mahina o hoku
Ke noho nani maila
Maunalani ki`eki`e
- - - - - - -

Where are you
Full moon of the night
Reveal your
Beauty

The seas are calm
The cliffs are lonely
But you and I
Are making love

How fragrant
Is the hinano blossom
That captivates you
My love

Tell of your name
Full moon of the night
There beauty sits high
Above the heavenly mountains

Source: Translated by Ainsley Halemanu

Mahalo for any kokua.

I am rythmically challenged.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 04/07/2008 1:29:34 PM

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  11:24:31 AM  Show Profile
You still one beginner. So it is hard to get the strum down exactly like the recording. But it is just a standard hula strum to fit the song. Just play smoothly 2 beats, 2 beats , 4 beats then the song starts.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Al. I guess since I am one beginner, I do not know what is a standard hula strum. From watching Keoki's video lessons, that is the part I have the most trouble with. Its like I am all thumbs, because not only do I have to think real hard about the chords, but I have to coordinate that with the strumming patter.

I am so "backwards", for lack of a better term. The strum I strum from when I played guitar in the old days playing folk music was down-down-up-up-down-up. That works for "White Sandy Beach", OK, but does not work for Mahina O Hoku.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2008 :  8:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Donʻt give up. Rome wasnʻt built in a day. It takes a lot of desire and hard work. Thas why musicians are a crazy lot. Sort of OCD in a nice way. But when you finally get a song down you can feel the pride of accomplishment. I started with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and I still donʻt play it well.
Try practice this. The count is one and two and three and etc. Down up down up and so forth. So that is two down ups for two beats then the third chord is four down ups. just be smooth and no worry about what song. Thas jes da vamp. Bumby you syncopate em so get dat Hawaiian stroke in da vamp. play with the feel of the song but start with the basic count first.
Also try up down up down up change then down up down up down change and finally down up down up for four beats. After that look up triplets and try those. When you can be comfortable with that then you can change around to get the feel of most vamp timings. Watch Jesseʻs you tube stuff and youʻll see what I mean.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 04/08/2008 8:47:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  10:15:07 AM  Show Profile
e Wanda,

Go to www.ukemaker.com and go to ukulele club. Thereʻs a download for "strum patterns". I think this can help you out.

My basic Hawaiian chang-a-lang strum is a 4 count up and down, counting "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and", and as mentioned by Noeau, 2 beats for 1st chord of vamp, 2 beats for 2nd chord of vamp, and 4 beats for 3rd chord of vamp, but start with the "and" beat (also the up beat of the 4 count) and changing chords on the previous up beat. (Have I lost you yet?)

E.g. if I play the song in G, the vamp is A7 D7 and G. So I count "1 and 2 and 3 and 4 AND -start A7 (up beat)- 1 and 2 AND -D7 chord- 3 and 4 AND -G chord- 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 AND- A7 if repeating vamp or on 1 - G chord down beat - first note of song.
When playing the rest of the song I change chords on either the up beat or down beat depending on "feel" or "sound". This is where one puts in the personal touches.

Then when the basic chang a lang is second nature youʻll be ready to do a variant strum which I think they use in the song. I learned this strum from Keoki K at a workshop with Herb O. jr and Daniel H. Iʻm not even going to try and tell you what the strum is. Maybe itʻs in his uke dvd lesson.

Just get the basic chang a lang down for now. Good Luck and have fun.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  10:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Genaro - thanks so very much. I can do this - count to 2 then count to 4. I'm on my way!

Thanks Genaro and Al for sharing your expertise.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000