Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aunty Nona Beamer Passes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  12:57:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

Keola and Moana send their love and appreciation to you for your kind words. We learned the news early this morning, after a show last night in Oakland.

I feel blessed that I was able to see Keola and Moanalani doing what Auntie loved-performing and sharing Hawaiian music and culture with an appreciative audience last night.

I realize that many of you want to express your feeelings personally by phoning or e-mailing-- I ask that you hold off for a short time. The family has much to do in the next few days.

Keola has cancelled the remainder of the tour and he and Moana will be returning home in the morning. We are sorry to miss seeing so many of our dear friends in Nevada City, Santa Cruz and Antiooc- so I can only say "a hui hou!"

Auntie has asked that there not be a public funeral, rather a private family ceremony.

She also requested that in lieu of flowers donations may be made to the Mohala Hou Foundation. (843 Waine`e Street/Suite 107 #685/Lahaina HI 96761.)

Please continue to post your memories and photos-- Auntie will live in our hearts as long as we share her love of learning and life.

with Aloha,

Mark Kailana Nelson
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  1:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Yet another Hawaiian legend lost. I have not met Aunty Nona in person but I heard stories about her and the love for the Hawaiian culture. She'll be greatly missed. Aloha 'oe, Aunty! Give big hugs to Aunty Genoa and Uncle Raymond. Please say a prayer for the Beamer 'ohana.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Edited by - hawaiianmusiclover06 on 04/10/2008 1:21:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  1:22:47 PM  Show Profile
A very sad day for all lovers of "Hawaiiana". Another Icon has left us with a legacy that must be preserved and enhanced. Condolences to the Beamer 'ohana.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  2:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Can I, in my own peculiar way, differ from some of you. It is sad for *us* that she has departed; for her, it is a normal part of life.

It is not a question of whether; it is a question of when and how. She went when it was proper; she went in a manner befitting her stature.

You all, who knew her (and Sarah and I were kissed by her on her birthday), and all of you who understand what she did with her time on this tiny Earth, know that she had achieved what she wanted to, during the time allotted to her.

Rejoice in her life and work.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  4:13:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage

Aloha Music Camp Press Release                             
April 10, 2008 Lahaina, Hawaii

Our beloved kupuna, Winona Kapuailohia Desha Beamer, fondly known as Auntie Nona, passed away quietly in her sleep last night at home in Lahaina, Hawaii.  Auntie Nona was born on August 15 in the Puna District of Hawai`i and raised in Hilo by her grandmother, Helen Kapuailohia Desha Beamer; who Nona called “Sweetheart Grandmother”.  Tutu Helen was one of Hawai'i's most prolific and accomplished composers as well as a skilled dancer whose grace left a lasting imprint on the hula and Nona.

Nona performed her first hula in public at the age of three and by the age of eleven was teaching hula in her mother’s Waikiki studio.  Her very first student was the actress, Mary Pickford. Entering Kamehameha School in 1935, she was actually expelled twice for being “willful”; because she was driven even then to teach the Hawaiian language, culture, chant and dance to others. 

After attending Barnard College and the University of Hawaii, where she was told that she could never earn a living in Hawaiian culture, she proceeded to carve a niche for herself and took over her mother’s hula studio in 1947.  She began teaching at Kamehameha School in 1949 and in her nearly forty years there, began their first Hawaiiana department.  Nona coined the phrase “Hawaiiana” to illustrate the teaching of “the best of Hawaiian culture”; meaning the literature, songs, dances, chants and poetry of Hawai`i.

A noted chanter, composer and singer, Nona is revered for her scholarship and accomplishments in the education of Native Hawaiian children.  She has numerous publications and recordings and has written many of Hawaii’s most beloved songs, including “Pupu Hinuhinu” which was written as a lullaby for her two boys.  Her sons, Keola and Kapono Beamer are world renown musicians/educators and continue the family’s tradition of sharing Hawaiiana through music and teaching.

In 2000, Auntie Nona inspired the establishment of the Hula Preservation Society, a nonprofit organization dedicated to honoring the lives of beloved elder hula masters.  The Aloha Music Camp, L.L.C. began in 2001 and continues the tradition of teaching and sharing aloha with participants from around the world.  Auntie Nona’s last public performance was at the camp this past February, when she performed “Green Rose Hula” with all the beauty, sparkle and grace she always possessed when performing.  Her most recent inspiration is the Mohala Hou Foundation, a non-profit established last year to continue her vision of protecting and perpetuating the culture that she held so dear by sharing and educating Hawaiiana with all who are interested.  The Foundation makes it possible through scholarships for students and Kupuna to attend the Aloha Music Camp.

An extraordinary woman who dedicated her life to the education of Hawaiians and those who have a desire to learn about Hawaiian culture; Auntie Nona took inspiration from Hawaii’s last queen, Liliuokalani. As quoted in an interview in 1994, “Her life has been important and inspiring and educational to me.  Not just from the standpoint of what a wonderful woman she was but because she shared her feelings and her tenderness and her compassion.  Even after they imprisoned her she wrote “The Queen’s Prayer,” in which she asks for forgiveness for those who were unkind to her.  So much of her life involved music and teaching and children.  All my life I have taught Queen Lili’s songs and music to children.”

In her own very humble, gracious and truly remarkable way, Auntie Nona was not only a pioneer, ali`i, musician and humanitarian, she truly is the embodiment of aloha.

Auntie Nona is survived by her sons, Keola and Kapono Beamer, her grandson, Kamana Beamer, daughters-in-law, Moanalani Beamer and Dayna Marie Dias Beamer, her hanai children, Kaliko Beamer-Trapp and Maile Beamer-Loo and her hanai sister, Kathy Templeton.  Auntie Nona requested a private family ceremony to spread her ashes at the family ranch on the island of Hawai`i.  She requested donations to Mohala Hou Foundation in lieu of flowers.  Donations may be sent to Mohala Hou Foundation 843 Waine‘e Street F5 Suite 685            Lahaina,  Hawai`i 96761 – 1685.

Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  5:41:14 PM  Show Profile
Condolences to the Beamer Ohana.... what an honor and privilege it was to know this incredible woman.

Duke
Hana, Maui
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  8:16:21 PM  Show Profile
I can only say:

"Maika'i No!"

The favorite thing I heard her say after we did something well... or even when we tried and failed.

Aloha to the Beamer Ohana, and all those who loved that very phenomenal human being,

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 04/10/2008 8:16:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  8:19:45 PM  Show Profile
Auwe! Auwe! Auwe!

Aunty's passing is such a loss to all who met her. I too treasure the times we shared and the teaching I received - brings many tears.
But the memories have smiles, too.
Those of you who were at Aloha Camp 2002 or 2003 when, during the Beamer family performance, Keola handed Aunty her old accordian? Not seen for 30 years? She didn't miss a beat, and played as if it had been yesterday.
Her gifts were so kindly given to so many of us, they are as the stars in the sky, and there she will also be, smiling down among the hoku.

Aloha oe, Aunty Nona

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  8:24:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, Cathe,

I have some beautiful photos of Auntie playing that accordion, and one other particular one I'm fond of: Auntie doing the hula with her skirt lifted up and showing those gorgeous knees!

Sigh....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  01:54:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Wonderful News story on Aunty Nona on Channel 4 you can see it online at http://www.kitv.com/video/15852696/index.html
I had a little trouble with the link but eventually the buffering worked.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

slackpup
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  04:02:50 AM  Show Profile
My wife, Cynthia, and I had the pleasure of spending time with Auntie on several occasions at Aloha Music Camp. She truly was the best Hawai'i had to offer. Our sincere condolences to the Beamer 'ohana.

Donald
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  04:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage
We are very saddened by the news of Auntie Nona’s passing. We were honored to spend a wonderful week with her at AMC 2007, and she showed us what aloha really means. She enriched our lives by teaching us that. We were surprised to receive a lovely hand-drawn Christmas card from her last year, which still sits on my desk where it is seen daily. It helps us to reach back and reconnect with the experience, and the lessons that she taught.

Alice and I send our deepest condolences to the Beamer ohana. We miss her, but obviously heaven could no longer wait to have her back. Aloha, Auntie and mahalo for sharing your loving spirit with us all.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  05:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Short Video

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile
In 2001 I remember Aunty Nona sharing her life stories with us under the tent at Kalani Honua while birds sang sweetly in the trees above us. I lost all sense of time, feeling like I could have been listening to her speak hundreds of years earlier. I will always appreciate her stories and hold them close in my heart. And I'm grateful for the opportunity I had to see her dance. She was amazing!
Sending my heartfelt condolences to all her family.

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
It is a sad day indeed. My heart goes out to the Beamer ohana. As I have heard it expressed before, one of Earth's brightest stars is now shining in Heaven. I feel priveleged for the opportunities to spend time with Aunty Nona at music camps and that my girls have personal memories of times spent with Aunty in keiki time.

She leaves a huge and positive legacy. We, Hawaiian music, hula, and culture, and our world are all better for the Aloha she spread.

Aloha oe, Aunty. We miss you.

Edited by - JeffC on 04/16/2008 07:55:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000