Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aunty Nona Beamer Passes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  12:02:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha . . "what a gargantuan concept" . . Auntie's words.

Mahalo Nui Loa Auntie for teaching us what we need to learn.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Aloha all -

Last night, Keola and Moana and I had dinner together at one of their favorite restaurants. What was to have been a celebration for the end of our tour tunred into something else... a celebration of life itself and of Mom.

One thing stuck with me: Moana talked about how Nona loved parties. She was at her happiest when everyone took out thier `ukulele and guitars and sang and danced. We said that the best "service" for her would be like that. No long speaches summing up her career, no tears, no hankies. Music and laughter and dance.

Naturally, we also talked about what this means for the Aloha Camp this June... and we decided that we will all take out our `ukulele and our guitars and we will sing and dance and talk story and smile.

Then we all sang "Skinny Marink a Dinky Dink."

Go to Top of Page

Elaine
Akahai

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  5:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elaine's Homepage
Mark, You beat me to the punch. How well I remember this scene from winter camp, 2007 when someone asked Auntie what her favorite song was. This is not what any of us expected: (Sorry it's sideways)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmE3mCOOh7Q

The last time I saw Auntie was at the Moloka'i Airport last February. While waiting for our respective planes, she led us in a few joyful tunes and soon had everyone in the airport, within hearing distance, smiling, singing, and or tapping their feet. What a gift she had.

Thank you, Keola, for sharing her with us. And don't beat yourself up because you were away when she passed. In my heart of hearts I know she chose when and where to go. You called her back once, and she probably didn't want you doing it again.

My love goes out to you and Moana, Kaliko and Maile, Mark and Annie, and the entire Aloha Music Camp 'ohana. How lucky we were to have known her.

Auntie, aloha and thank you for your presence. I will try to live by the lessons you taught and sing with joy in my heart.

Elaine (and Taylor)

Edited by - Elaine on 04/11/2008 6:07:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  8:37:02 PM  Show Profile
So to honor dear Auntie Nona,

Take a minute each day to think about how beautiful the world around you is,

Say something uplifting and positive to another human being,

Laugh a lot, smile and look up at the sky,

Hum a little tune, pick up your uke and sing,

And remember all the good times in your life...

I can still see that wonderful lady who would come up to you, gently lay her hand upon your arm and exclaim how much your singing/bass/guitar/uke playing, "darling", has improved over just the last few days. Oh, and the twinkle in those eyes!

Darling Auntie Nona, I wish for her the wings to fly.

Julie

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  01:08:47 AM  Show Profile
If I have learned anything from Auntie Nona from a distance reading about her, listening to CDs of her stories, is that aloha given freely multiplies exponentially. Aloha given away returns ten-fold. That is how I want to live my life. I wonder if she realized how she kept on teaching? Teaching and touching people that she did not even realize. That is aloha and that is mana.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  01:32:44 AM  Show Profile
More videos about Auntie Nona:

This is a very touching pictoral tribute with a song in the background about all the animals - one big family. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5YlKMfaFM I would be interested in the song, if anyone could share with me about it, i.e., name, etc.

From MauiToday.TV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL1AjTTPCK0

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  02:21:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

More videos about Auntie Nona:

This is a very touching pictoral tribute with a song in the background about all the animals - one big family. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5YlKMfaFM I would be interested in the song, if anyone could share with me about it, i.e., name, etc.

The song is called 'Neath One Big Tin Roof, and can be found on Aunty's CD, "The Golden Lehua Tree". We did that song at Winter 2008 AMC as an audience participation number during the Beamer 'ohana concert. Moana led us students in making the sounds of rain that began as a sprinkle, built to a full-blown downpour, and then faded off again. What fun!

The album has eight stories told by Aunty, with help from the rest of the 'ohana. It's a delightful album, worth the price if only for the liner notes. This excerpt strikes me in particular

Story telling has been a powerful teaching tool. The sharing of the stories and music continually enriches my life. It is my hope that they will enrich yours as well.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  05:32:20 AM  Show Profile
Those of you who know me personally are aware that I am a very emotionally expressive person - I can cry at the drop of a hat and laugh at things that make other folks go "huh?" I was at work yesterday and and spent a fair deal of time trying to hide the tears that would occasionally trace their way down my cheeks. However at one point while I was waiting for some results to print off, a fellow who works in another department was walking past me when he abruptly stopped and said "What on earth are you thinking about? You have such a lovely smile on your face!"

So, Mark - I can't promise to stay tear-free, but you can bet there will be plenty of laughter and singing as well.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
This is a very touching pictoral tribute with a song in the background about all the animals - one big family

I just saw this-- wonderful!

Our dear friend Taryn Waros, who many of you may have met when she was the manager at the Lodge and Beach Village, put this tribute together and posted it.

Mahalo nui, Teri.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  7:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Islandboo,

You always have a lovely smile on your lovely face!

Will you be attending AMC in Kona? Yes, we will miss Auntie, she will never be far from our thoughts, and I think that's a good thing!

Hugs, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 04/12/2008 7:33:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  06:14:35 AM  Show Profile
My Alison, and myself were fortunate enough to meet Nona at the Winter 2007 Aloha Music Camp. It was intended to be a 'once in a lifetime' trip for us. Needless to say we both fell in love with Nona straight away, and very much wanted to meet her again. Now we can't and I'm very, very sad about that.

In the week that we spent on Molokai, she truly touched our hearts. She was a very special woman, and we'll never foget her. There's so much I want to say but the words don't seem adequate.

I send my deepest condolences and sympathy to the Beamer family - I am so very sorry for your loss.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  2:14:28 PM  Show Profile
Another video memorial to Auntie Nona has been posted. Perhaps you may be interested in this touching tribute.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J_KlJw-Px_E

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  03:41:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I want to second Ben's reccomendation for Aunty's CD, "The Golden Lehua Tree". You can get it from www.mele.com/music/artist/nona+beamer/golden+lehua+tree/ I just ordered another copy for my Grandson her voice soothes him to sleep at np time now. Suth wonderful stories.
Thank you Aunty Nona and Thankyou Beamer Family for Sharing your Family with all of us. It meens so very muchto many of us.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  10:35:30 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Islandboo,

You always have a lovely smile on your lovely face!

Will you be attending AMC in Kona? Yes, we will miss Auntie, she will never be far from our thoughts, and I think that's a good thing!

Hugs, Julie

Absolutely, I will be there. It has been over a year since my last Camp, and I canʻt wait to get back! While the lead-up has not been smooth, I anticipate that this will be an exceptional Camp (of course it will - you will be there!) Hmm - guess this means I need to figure out a way to bring my ʻuke, huh?
Go to Top of Page

Nai`a
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  3:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nai`a's Homepage
I'm sitting here listening to Keola sing "True Hawiian Way" from the Island Born CD. The lyrics and music say it all. Over the last three years I've had to pleasure of watching him on stage at camp with Aunty Nona. You can see the love on their faces as they sing,talk story and laugh. There is true Hawiian way in both of them. What a joy to have it wash over us at Kaupoa.

Mahalo Aunty and Keola.

Jay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000