Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Aunty Nona Beamer Passes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  1:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
It has been two weeks now since Aunty's passing and I have thought often of her since. About a week ago I was contemplating the qualities that made her so special to so many people from so many walks of life, and I remembered the couple of times during music camps when I had the opportunity to sit and talk with Aunty one on one. As other music campers will remember, Aunty was almost always surrounded by people and if one wanted more than just to participate in the on-going conversation, if you wanted to talk with her specifically, it was often necessary to sort of que up around her table and wait your turn. The first time I wanted to talk with her, I felt a little sheepish because I wanted to ask her to autograph a CD for my girls (who were relishing in her keiki classes). When it was my "turn" and I sat knee to knee with her, I told her how much we all had enjoyed listening to the Golden Lehua Tree CD since my girls were infants. I can't remember all of our conversation, but I remember Aunty reached out and took my hand in hers and the conversation lasted much longer than the necessary time to request and receive an autograph. For that time I was the only person within the bright focus of her attention. Aunty had, and shared, the gift of being truly present in the moment. Not to mention, as so many have already, being the embodiment of aloha.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  8:38:20 PM  Show Profile
I've been dumb struck by the passing of NT Nona but a bit of my voice is coming back. Jeff, what a lovely post. You have really captured one of NT's great gifts .. that totally "being there" for you. I'm one of what, I can easily assume, must be thousands who feel that they were a special friend of NT Nona. I miss her dearly but am very grateful to have known her and to have been warmed by that great beam of friendship, by her encouraging remarks and by her ageless sense of fun.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile
For those who will be in Hawaiʻi on June 14th, there will be a celebration for Aunty at Kamehameha Schools:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008805070393
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  04:37:18 AM  Show Profile
I know it's a few weeks now, but today, I picked up as usual one of the UK's national newspapers, the Guardian, and found that Aunty Nona has an obituary there. I don't know how many people in the UK will have met Aunty Nona, but I have (and consider myself highly privileged). As a result, it seemed to speak to me in particular. I think that the idea of her accomplishments being written about two oceans and the other side of the world away is something that would have tickled her.

I can't really share this with anyone in my country, but I thought that here would be somewhere I could share it with.

Aloha everyone

Trev

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/02/usa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000