Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 CDs vs. Digital
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  06:22:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
All I know is when I'm editing or mastering a recording and I listen to it back at 24 bits, it sounds pretty damn good. I bounce it to a 16 bit CD and it still sounds good. I make an MP3 and it sounds like crap. MHO.

No need to be humble about that one Uncle!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2008 :  07:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

Raymond and Reid. I know you guys and I love you both, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I don't know Gould from schmould or Solti from Poultry. All I know is when I'm editing or mastering a recording and I listen to it back at 24 bits, it sounds pretty damn good. I bounce it to a 16 bit CD and it still sounds good. I make an MP3 and it sounds like crap. MHO.

dog

Man, that's not even an opinion. That's a truism.

And now I'm hungry for some shoyu Solti...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  04:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
Along these same lines, an interesting article I stumbled across in Newsweek.

NEWSWEEK: How Music Is Music Worth?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  07:28:36 AM  Show Profile
Very interesting Article.

Several points not directly made in the Article:

1) If 1.2 million albums were downloaded from RadioHead in the "first few days" and 30% of downloaders did not pay that still leaves 800 thousand who DID pay. The text also indicates that the folks who DID pay, generally paid between $5 and $15 for the album (and a few paid very much more). That means that RadioHead made about 800,000 times Ten or EIGHT MILLION dollars IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS!! With a return of that kind of money, I would think they would not be too concerned about the 30% who grabbed it for free, unless they are extremely greedy themselves, in which case perhaps their greed is balanced by the greed of those who did not pay (in a Karmic sense).

2) Sounds like selling at a lower price of 50 cents per song, or even lower would be a good business model yielding an even higher return, so why isn't anyone adopting it? After all, more money is more money and even the greedy would realize this. So it seems the Music industry (in aggregate) does not seem to be capable of even the simplest level of rational thinking.

Of course, this is all from within the perspective of the article, and there are other perspectives that can be taken.

My estimation of the value of an MP3 is that it has about 20% of the quality of a 44.1KHz-16bit CD file, so if a CD cut is worth about One dollar (my valuation) then I would not pay any more than 20 cents for an mp3 (if anything at all). I would really rather buy a CD or download an UNCOMPRESSED song file for a dollar, (like Dog Said) mp3's are crap.

Hmmmmm.....

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/02/2008 07:37:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2008 :  07:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence

Very interesting Article.

Several points not directly made in the Article:

1) If 1.2 million albums were downloaded from RadioHead in the "first few days" and 30% of downloaders did not pay that still leaves 800 thousand who DID pay. The text also indicates that the folks who DID pay, generally paid between $5 and $15 for the album (and a few paid very much more). That means that RadioHead made about 800,000 times Ten or EIGHT MILLION dollars IN THE FIRST FEW DAYS!! With a return of that kind of money, I would think they would not be too concerned about the 30% who grabbed it for free, unless they are extremely greedy themselves, in which case perhaps their greed is balanced by the greed of those who did not pay (in a Karmic sense).
Lawrence, in a separate article in Rolling Stone earlier this year, Radiohead cited their experiment as a huge success - especially financially. This was in response to the criticisms that the band was releasing their album on CD because the downloads didn't move. In fact, they released the album on CD to capture yet another audience.

Radiohead in Rolling Stone - February 7, 2008

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000