Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Butter Mochi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:00:37 AM  Show Profile
One of our Taro Patch `ohana, who shall remain nameless (because he is in the witness protection program) got me hankerin' for butter mochi. I finally found mochiko flour at one of the organic food stores hereabouts. I've searched all the recipes I can find and did not realized that they all call for about a POUND of butter. Hence the name "butter" mochi, I guess.

Does anyone have and suggestions on cutting down the quantity of butter (and thereby the fat and cholesterol) without screwiing up the recipe? I am better at cooking food kind of food rather than pastry. I know with pastry you have to be pretty exact or the recipe will fail.

Any kokua is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:32:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

One of our Taro Patch `ohana, who shall remain nameless (because he is in the witness protection program) got me hankerin' for butter mochi. I finally found mochiko flour at one of the organic food stores hereabouts. I've searched all the recipes I can find and did not realized that they all call for about a POUND of butter. Hence the name "butter" mochi, I guess.

Does anyone have and suggestions on cutting down the quantity of butter (and thereby the fat and cholesterol) without screwiing up the recipe? I am better at cooking food kind of food rather than pastry. I know with pastry you have to be pretty exact or the recipe will fail.

Any kokua is greatly appreciated.
Mahalo.

Wanda you're talking about BUTTER Mochi!! I don't think it worth taking a chance just go for the pound!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2008 :  09:56:44 AM  Show Profile
If I have to go with the pound of butter, then I will wait for a very, very, very special occasion. I no like nodda by-pass dem arteries. Once is enough. Darn! I guess when you have to eat low fat, low cholesterol, you just have to give up on some stuff. I know you cannot use that phone I can't believe its not butter stuff. Believe you me, it is definitely not butter. Not even close. My heart doc and the folks at cardiac rehab said more better to use butter -- it is natural. It is not chemicals and no weird things have been done to it. Just only use it in moderation and only use unsalted butter. It only needs to be salted to preserve it, like when I was small kid time in W. Va., churning butter and we did not put it in the fridge, the salt kept it from getting rancid.

I was just wondering if somehow I could cut back the quantity of butter without detrimentally altering the salient properties of the goodies.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  10:26:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
Sorry I made joke about butter. I was not aware of your health issues. Eh maybe you can be the one that figures out how to alter the recipe????

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Well, it is time to experiment perhaps. Kinda like Myth Busters (my favorite TV show), only I won't blow up anything. I promise. The other day, the Mythbusters blew up a fridge.

It is OK to make jokes. I like jokes. They make me laugh and laughing is good. We learned at cardiac rehab that people who laugh do twice as better at exercising and following the proper things to do after heart attack. People who are not jolly and happy get sick again. Druther laugh if I have my druthers.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  1:08:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
The other day, the Mythbusters blew up a fridge.
Yes - they blew it up with a hand grenade, just to prove the it is better for one of the troop to lie on a hand grenade that to toss it into a fridge and close the door!

A hand grenade MIGHT just make a good substitute for butter depending upon what you want to accomplish!!

On the serious side - hydrogenated vegatable oils are, of course very bad for you, but there is this stuff called "simplesse"? that will work with things you do not need to cook.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  6:01:03 PM  Show Profile
quote:

I remember one of my ex's had one that only used 1/4 lb. Doesn't do any good if the recipe with the 1/4 pound is only 1/4 the size...But I'll ask 'em.

One stick is 1/4 lb, right?

Aloha,
da Poi Dog

Edited by - PoiDog on 05/05/2008 6:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  9:08:52 PM  Show Profile
E use the pound who said you gotta eat it all yourself? If it comes out good share da buggah wit others. Then you get more popular and you can be the mochi lady of Ohio or where evah you live.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  01:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Al - doggone it! You are brilliant. That is why you are No`eau! Maybe I will make them for Mother's Day and take them to the Certo family gathering. We shall see how Italian family likes Japanese goodies by way of Hawai`i. One good thing about Hawai`i -- the grinz are "poi dog", kine, too.

And yes, one stick of butter equals 1/4 lb. or 1/2 cup.

Al - you have inspired me! Mahalo. Too bad you don't live here. I could practice on you.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  01:58:22 AM  Show Profile
And speaking of Mythbusters and throwing ones self on a grenade, I have a friend, Frank Herda, who did exactly that when he was in Viet Nam. It did save those around him. Mythbusters proved it correctly. Frank survived. A true miracle, both that he survived and of his heroism. Please, please, please, read about Frank Herda at: http://www.medalofhonor.com/FrankHerda.htm

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  03:53:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Al - you have inspired me! Mahalo. Too bad you don't live here. I could practice on you.
Eh Ma, can you try stop yacking and hurry up go make dat butter mochi because I already get couple more projects lined up for you after you pau: haupia and kulolo

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  04:14:56 AM  Show Profile
Butter Talking of myth busters.

dog
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  05:03:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:

Please, please, please, read about Frank Herda at: http://www.medalofhonor.com/FrankHerda.htm
I did. That is too awesome. Mahalo Frank Herda!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  07:35:35 AM  Show Profile
Got the haupia down already. That is one of the easiest things to make and so ono. Kulolo harder to do cause not too often kalo in Ohio. Sometimes, though.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  07:40:02 AM  Show Profile
Dog - thanks for the butter stuff. Much of that is just what they were telling us at cardiac rehab. Butter mo bettah.

Did you ever try to melt one of those low fat, low cholesterol "spreads". Makes for funny kine stuff when it is melted and separated. Scary stuff.

I do believe moderation is the key word here (and share the mochi). Thanks guys.

But don't forge to read about Frank Herda. Please.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
OK Wanda Givum how are you making haupia and staying low fat low cholesterol????? I have tried everything. and no matter what I try the healthier versions I come up with are BLECH PHOOY !

I still can not figure out how to make coconut milk healhy ? it is one of the few fruits and veggies that is saturated so how to use it in cooking has been a real mystery? I miss it luckily it has not been one of Hubbys must haves. For him it is the BUTTER ! We went cold turkey! Now using Smart Balance in very small amounts when have to have it times!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000