Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Butter Mochi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  07:18:52 AM  Show Profile
Haupia can work out just fine with lite coconut milk. It is still not good for you, but you cannot eat lots of haupia at one time anyhow or else you and the loo will be close friends. Portion size is most important. Also if you eat the sat fat in haupia, give up your fat allowances for other stuff that day. Or don't have any eggs that week, or whatever, just to balance out. It cannot be an every day food. It is a special treat, made all the more special by the infrequenttimes you can have it.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  08:19:51 AM  Show Profile
I don't want to go head-to-head with the haupia purists, but Raymond Noh's mix is great stuff. Easy to make, and tastes like the real deal, too. 3g saturated fat per 4oz...0 transfat.

Oh! Wait, wait, wait...NOW, I gettum. You guys was talkin about DIET haupia!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed - I will make the mochi on the weekend to take over to the Certo family gathering for Muddah's Day/May Birthdays.

And gentlemen - if you have children, you better buy your wife a present. Do not use the excuse "She is not my mother". That doesn't fly. She's a mother because you are a father. It is all your fault.

I have made haupia with the light stuff. I slightly increased cornstarch, but not too much so that it wouldn't taste too cornstarchy.

Now what is the almond jello kine stuff? I do not know what it is even called for to look up a recipe. But it is yummy.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 05/07/2008 11:02:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Poi Dog - find out, please, for me how much salt in that haupia mix? Mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

PoiDog
Lokahi

245 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  11:29:23 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Poi Dog - find out, please, for me how much salt in that haupia mix? Mahalo nui loa.

According to the package (I get the jumbo size 3 lb...serves 100) 15mg sodium per 4 oz serving. Bwwwwwahhh! Nobody I know eat one 4 oz serving!

Aloha,
da Poi Dog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  4:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Braddah Ed - nah, nah. Onliest one man fo me. 35 years he been my onliest man.

John you forgot one of the most basic laws of nature, one that is so very hard for men to learn properly. If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. This is a definite truism. Don't buy her a present. Then wait. . . . . .Sheesh, I bet you probably don't even pay attention to Sweetest Day, either.

PoiDog - thanks for reseearching for me. Why, it sounds like the mix stuff is OK for our diets. Low fat in 4 oz., and the sodium is negligible. I can have 50 g. fat per day. Woo-hoo. Gonna get me some. But I wonder if they mean 4 oz. by weight or 4 oz. by volume. On account of 1/2 cup by volume is not even going to satisfy pygmy mailihini. 100 servings for menehune or 5 Samoans?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  12:21:09 AM  Show Profile
John - Duh -- Now I'm understanding what you are saying. OK, gentlemen -- if you are no longer married to the mother of your children, then a gift for Mother's Day is not obligatory. And I take back my sheesh comment, too. Paul and I have been married 35 years, and I guess I am too dumb to think past the end of my nose that not everyone is still married or ever was married to the other parent of their children. E kala mai.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile
Well I like to eat 'em and I was thrilled when just on chance I found the mochiko flour at our organic food store. I bought the flour before I really studied the recipe. Then I saw how much better it takes. Pre-by-pass, I would not have fazed me. Now, I notice these things. I am going to make it and I am going to eata some, but I will share with the Certo famiglia.

And John, I do certainly understand about Mother's Day and being childless. It took us 7 years to get a baby and Mother's Day made me very weepy. And don't even get me started about when I saw on the news about an abandoned newborn.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  12:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Butter mochi came good and came ono. Found a recipe that used only one stick butter and I used lite coconut milk. Mmmmm.

Mahalo to all for the kokua. Braddah Ed -- If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, you get some yummy goodies. Thanks for the inspiration.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  1:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Butter mochi came good and came ono. Found a recipe that used only one stick butter and I used lite coconut milk. Mmmmm.

Mahalo to all for the kokua. Braddah Ed -- If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, you get some yummy goodies. Thanks for the inspiration.

Well where's da recipe??????????

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  2:55:00 PM  Show Profile
The recipe was lightened somewhat by use of light coconut milk, but the goodies are still a special occasion food. Not good for your every day low-fat, low-salt heart healthy diet. And we won't even talk about the diabetes.

But YUM!

BUTTER MOCHI

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 ½ c sugar
16 oz. mochiko flour
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk plus ½ c water
1 can (13.5 oz) light coconut milk
4 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract

Note: For low salt diet, substitute equal amount of no salt baking powder (has potassium instead of sodium), available at most stores.

Melt the stick of butter in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds. Add sugar and mix until well combined. Add vanilla extract and then eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in mochiko flour and baking powder and continue to mix until well blended.

Combine evaporated milk and water in a separate bowl. Whisk to blend. Add to mochiko mixture in 2 parts, mixing well between additions. Next add coconut milk, stirring until well blended.

Pour mixture into 9 x 13” pan which has been sprayed with non-stick spray. May top with coconut if desired. Bake for one hour at 350 deg. F. Cool completely then cut into 1 x 2” bars.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2008 :  5:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
Tell me that didn't just say 1 can evaporated milk!!!!!!!!!!!

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  10:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Yes, one can evap milk. I wonder if Eagle milk could be substituted for sugar and evaporated milk?

I think the butter mochi are better when they are fresh and warm. As they age, they seem to get heavier or denser or something li`dat.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  11:10:49 AM  Show Profile
That's just like me-heavier and denser with age. I thought I was all Italian, but I must be part rice flour or something.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2008 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I thought I was all Italian, but I must be part rice flour or something.
Eh Momi, you and Paul might be related.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000