Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Malama English, too
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  03:12:20 AM  Show Profile
Big Dog,

Titles are always capitalized- "Kī Hō`alu". And the quotation marks are unnecessary if you use italics.

How far are we going to take this?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  04:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Chris,

You are correct. I used quotation marks because the title of Ray's film was not capitalized, but they were unnecessary. My last sentence is also incorrect. I should have used "Ray" instead of "he", because "he" is ambiguous reference back to the teacher or father.
quote:
How far are we going to take this?

That is my point. Let's just enjoy what each other has to say, no matter how we say it.

Mahalo nui,

dog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  07:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

PS: My favorite is guage, as in strings.

Of course, I'm still trying to figure out if you intentionally misspelled "gauge."

Edited by - Retro on 05/11/2008 07:27:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  08:05:14 AM  Show Profile
As long as we mean what we know, no boddah me. When misunderstood, flail arms, point, cry, and remember to say "please" and "thank you".
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  09:03:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

When misunderstood, flail arms, point, cry, and remember to say "please" and "thank you".
We learn these things very early in life for two reasons: to serve you when you are still too young to go to the toilet by yourself, and to serve you when you become too makule to do da same.

No worry braddah Gregg, at 50 years you still have a long ways to go, and dat goes for dat young whippahsnappah Momi Lomilomi too.

Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  09:06:02 AM  Show Profile
Don't put a guoge in your guitar if you put on the wrong guage strings

I actually think Wanda started a very interesting thread. Look at the interesting mix of people who participated; quite a plethora. I find it laborious to read and understand some of the pidgin, even after all the time I've lived in or visited Hawai`i. My brain doesn't work that way. It's also apparent from reading many of our non-hawaiian TPers attempt to talk pidgin, that theirs doesn't either. No mattah! Jus press! Keep trying to communicate.

John Keawe was once asked in a workshop, "What fingering do you use for that part?". John's reply, "What ever one gets there first".

Peace!!!!

dog
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  09:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

Don't put a guoge in your guitar if you put on the wrong guage strings
...or my oo-koo-leh-leh? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2008 :  11:24:44 AM  Show Profile
As right. I remember we had one wahine from Niʻihau in our class. She could talk rings around us but her writing only rated C. The thing is we used a lot of books written by Native speakers and the old nupepa. You know no matta wot language we speak, we nevah talk like a book or the newspaper. So when we use written patterns for spoken language we going sound weird to everybody. But the revival of a killed language is worth the effort. To overcome the effects of colonialism it is imperative that we work hard to revive that which has been suppressed. And you know what? When the manaleo figured we were serious in our attempt the laughing stopped and the learning began. As far as dialect is concerned it has been studied and thats why we have immersion camps with native speakers as coaches from every island in the chain. Hours and hours are spent in the work to keep ʻOlelo Hawaiʻi alive.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000