Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 what uke to buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  3:47:08 PM  Show Profile
New to ukeles, play acoustic guitar right now.

Looking for a uke for my someone else, can anyone recommend one?

This person doesn't play an instrument, has a problem with fretting steel guitar strings -- definitely at beginner, try out level.

Off topic I guess, but considered a nylon string Tacoma Papoose.

Thnx

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  4:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi, cw!

you've underconstrained the problem, but given what little you've said, take your significant other down with you to a store that sells flukes. i think that in terms of playability, they maximize the bang for the buck. steer clear of the inexpensive ukes, like johnsons, because they're frustrating to anyone used to guitar-like precision.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  7:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks,...underconstrained meaning you need more to go on?

Well ..this individual appreciates old music, bluegrass, western swing, old time, hawaiian, etc. including Roy Smeck and Sol Hoopi. Wouldn't be picky about woods used or brand names. Tried a Goldtone banjo-uke, but didn't appeal -- me, I loved it. Price range...trying it out, so like $100 - $200? Seen a few in that range, maybe Lanikai?

Might be playing along with acoustic guitar in standard tuning.

Flukes sounds like a possibility, not hard to find round these parts.
However, without offending anyone I hope, sort of prefer the traditonal look.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  8:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Aloha cw,

You and your friend will find it difficult to find a better sounding uke in that price range. No offense taken, but the Flukes are so common now that I think they have redefined the meaning of traditional. I strongly recommend getting a rosewood fingerboard with metal frets so you can also used wound strings on the Fluke.

Can you wait? They are coming out with a little sister to the Fluke called the Flea in late May for about $100. It will be a pineapple-shaped soprano but will retain the ability to stand on it's own bottom. That is so useful, especially if you wander out of home base with your uke.
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/FLEA-GRN.htm

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2003 :  8:55:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
cw,

i can't add much to pauline's message... except it's always a good idea to test play a uke before you buy. is there a store that sells ukes within a drive of where you live?

happy uking,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  12:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Buy the cheapest traditonal-looking uke you can find and put it on a shelf somewhere so your friend has something traditional to look at while s/he is playing the fluke.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  3:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, y'all...
Dig that Flea! That might do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  3:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I like the less angular look of the flea. Thanks for the info and link Pauline!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2003 :  4:57:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

Pistachio green?

Oh my...

I agree 100%. There's also a lemon yellow color coming out though, which might be a little better...
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  1:39:57 PM  Show Profile
How you guys rate the Martin S-O?
If I found a deal on one that compared to the Fluke?

Thnx
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Give it a whirl and see what you think. I'm not so impressed by the Martins coming out, although the old ones are amazing. Maybe I've just had bad luck, who knows...

The music store near my place (Best Music) is selling Flukes at $170, Martins at $250, and Kamakas at $370. With me, I'd either wait a couple months and see about the $100 Flea-type Fluke that's coming out, or I'd go ahead and spring for the Kamaka. But learn a few chords and give them a try for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2003 :  3:43:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!
I just got an Applause UA20 acoustic/electric Ukelele. First I played one at my local music store and thought it sounded Sweet, plus it's pretty! The store wanted $200 for it, but I found it at Music 123 for $128, including shipping. Here's a link to it:
http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=28660
I got the red one, but they only show the black. I love it! Good deal for a beginner, like me.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2003 :  02:51:45 AM  Show Profile
So, just for the sake of information, here's my input:

Two puka Mele concert ukulele (my first): $250, pretty good sound
Po Mahina (Dennis Lake) concert ukulele: $400, special, very nice
Uke brand (Kenny Hill) soprano ukulele: $500, so-so, tinny, plunky
Tony Graziano painted pineapple soprano: $1800, fine sound, classy
Larrivee US-10 soprano: $800, great sound
Mele 6-string tenor: $600, very nice, mellow
Kamaka Koa concert: $500, lovely, full sound
Cigar Box ukulele bought on eBay: $120, junk, good for nothing
Po Mahina (Dennis Lake) tenor: $800, special, great sound
Hohner soprano: $40, no good, bridge popped

So you see, the prices are all over the map. I play all of them at some time or another, depending on my mood, as they all sound slightly different. One word of caution about buying on eBay: take a close look at the pictures and ask questions, ask for more photos if you need to. It's very difficult to make any recommendation, these instruments are as different in personality and sound as you and I are. I do love Dennis Lake's ukes, since I have tried out several while at his house, they are solid and dependable. Tony Graziano's are excellent as well. He's making some out of bamboo which seem to be really stable. So the question is: which uke to buy? The answer: as many as you can! Aloha, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 03/19/2003 03:18:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  10:08:37 AM  Show Profile
I too am looking to buy a uke. I am looking at spending 200 - 300 and was looking at a Lehua Kalo model I saw on the Elderly site..does anyone have any feedback on this model? Alternatives?
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2003 :  4:20:13 PM  Show Profile
kihoaluwahine,

I'm looking in the same price range, here's what i found so far...

We played a Todaro uke this weekend, seems like your price range. I'm new to ukes but this had better volume, nice sound compared to $30 and $150 Lanikai's.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/AKU05.htm

Didn't like the Martin Backpacker or S-O that much.

This one caught my EYE, but I haven't heard it
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/KSU.htm

Also, haven't heard, but am very interested in the Weber Sweetpea uke. Not sure we can get it, would be a back order from elderly. For what it's worth, looked at a Weber Sweetpea mandolin, liked the volume and sustain.
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Aloha cw, mahalo for the reply. I'd like to play some ukes around here before I buy, but I haven't found any music stores locally that have any ukuleles to try out. The Tadaro uke looks right in my price range, the Koaloha is a little on the hi side for my budget right now. Sooooooooo many choices, I was actually looking at maybe a Black Tenor Ovation Uke to match my black ovation 12 string...hmmmmm, wow I could run it through my guitar effects and Mesa Boogie... ..what a sound..

Dana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000