Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 what uke to buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  2:52:08 PM  Show Profile
I read good things about the Ovation uke elsewhere. Haven't played or heard one myself. It sounds like a good bet, especially if you like their guitars.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  02:37:28 AM  Show Profile
I've heard some complaints about the Ovations and they are mainly about that rounded back. It seems to have a "slippery" component to it. I have enough difficulty holding my flat ukes while playing standing up, without a strap. Maybe it has to do with the rounded front. But you know, we have to consider all those details. Has anyone else had problems with that rounded back? Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  2:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Maybe a strap would tame the Ovation?

The Fluke has a flat back but rounded corners on the side, so I blame that for my problems holding on to it.. However, it behaves nicely with a strap. In this case the strap is a piece of cloth tape from my sewing supplies tied to the headstock and to a cable clamp. The cable clamp is held on to the plastic side with the sticky tape it came with. No holes drilled. I've heard of a better solution with adhesive velcro stuck to the plastic of the Fluke. I think I'll try that manana.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

andermuffins
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile
I have a Martin S-O and a concert size fluke. The fluke is in many ways a better instrument. The Martin may well have solid wood and metal frets and other usually good things, but the dang thing was set up so poorly that it's nearly impossible to play in tune. The saddle was absurdly high when it came into my possession, lowering it has helped somewhat, but it remains difficult to play well. The fluke plays in tune up the fretboard, which has a few more frets than the Martins 12.

My $.02 is first to just go try one out and make sure it plays alright. As a guitarist you can do that, chord shapes tranfer from standard guitar tuning. As long as it plays well and makes a decent sound that's all you really need from a starter instrument. Then your friend can find a more 'traditional' looking instrument that really suits them. Anyway, the fluke's fibre back and laminated top make it a *great* beater instrument for when you don't want to take the fancy, expensive one to the beach on a drizzly day =)

Oh, aloha everybody, I'm new here. My first post on this board. I'm so happy have been told about this place.

--
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  4:33:49 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Mark to the ohana.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

andermuffins
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  5:06:02 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Pauline. How sweet :)

--
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  09:12:27 AM  Show Profile
mahalo to all for your replies, it seems the best thing to do would be to go play the instrument before making up my mind, which is the way I would by a guitar anyway, just hard for find any ukuleles here in colorado. I really love my ovation 12 string guitar, and the rounded back has not proved to be an issue with me, however perhaps the size of the uke might prove to be a problem, but I am very satisified with Ovations,...maybe I have to wait to buy until next time I go home and have a chance to go try out some ukes
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  03:49:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
I have two Ovation ukulele... one soprano, one tenor... I solved the slippery back problem with a couple little pieces of velcro stick on tape and a square of the grippy kitchen counter/cabinet stuff... don't know the official name or how else to describe it... it's the stuff that you can buy in a roll.

The velcro doesn't hurt the back... and enables easy replacement if needed. The grippy stuff makes the Ovation easy to hold... either on my lap or against my dresses.

Not a fancy solution... but it works... and has been for a couple years now.
Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  12:16:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh! Oh! Thank you Sandy! That's what I need to do with my Fluke. I use a big square of that stuff draped over my lap to keep guitars from sliding around and never thought of fastening it to fancy wood finishes, but black plastic won't be damaged by double sided tape.

Mahalo,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  7:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
I've seen no mention of the Lanikai ukes. I purchased one locally (Sacramento area) and one virtually. The first was a concert size with a laminated mahogany body, satin finish and an undetermined wood neck. It has a hard wood, maybe rosewood, fretboard and a decent bridge with a real saddle. It also has open-geared tuning machines with decorative white keys. Local price in a guitar store (not a chain) was $130 with a nice case. I think the uke would have been $110 without the case.

The other I purchased recently for my son. It is also concert-size, with a laminated Koa body, glossy laquer (a little thick for my tastes), Grover/Schaller-style tuners, rosewood fretboard and a mahogany neck. Very nice. It is a lot louder than the first one. It is a little pricier, at $180 for the instrument. It looks VERY nice.

According to the website I purchased from, these are made by Hohner. Searching for "ukulele" and "Lanikai" should get you there.

Neither are completely traditional because of the tuning machines, and classical guitar-like bridge, but I suspect they are easier to keep in tune. They are great players and when the neck on the first was separated from the body 'cause someone leaned on it in my son's college apartment, I didn't cry. I am just fixing it. It isn't like he broke a Kamaka.

Enjoy
Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  3:57:15 PM  Show Profile
Are the Flukes really all that great?

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2003 :  4:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi ipu,

flukes are a great bang for the buck... go try one if they're for sale around where you live.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

ongchua
Akahai

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  12:23:36 PM  Show Profile
Aloha folks! I'm new to TaroPatch.net and glad to be here.

I think I could accept the Flea in Lemon Yellow. Pistachio Green isn't my preferred color. At $100, that puts it in rough competition with the Applause ukes which can be had for $120 as Stacey mentioned (and they come in black, red, or natural finishes).

Has anyone compared the sound from these two? I've been happy with my Applause guitar and would probably find myself buying an Applause uke unless I found a compelling reason otherwise.

- Hans
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered a Flea for my daughters birthday; she is turning 9. I ordered the ukeberry color directly from flea market music. They were really nice and helpful and were willing to work with me even though they are backordered at this time since it was a special occasion. It should get here Friday and will let you know how it sounds.

For what it is worth, Kawika the custom ukulele maker reccomends either the Kamaka soprano or the fluke as entry level instruments for their playability and tone.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
kamakas are excellent, and flukes good... before last saturday i would have agreed with kawika (who i really admire). your daughter will love the fluke.

on the other hand, i was really astonished last saturday at how good the lanikai ukuleles sound. i played three of them, all owned by people in my uke group. i don't remember them sounding this good; perhaps something changed in the way they're built? i own a ko'olau, a valley made, a martin baritone (early sixties), and a mele lili'u six string, and have played vintage martins, kamakas, flukes, rs saul, national, and so on. the lanikai had a tone that i thought was much better than a fluke (which to my ear sounds a bit banjo uke like) and was well within the responsiveness of ukuleles that cost six times what they cost.

so, i still think that for starting out players, a fluke is a fine choice, but i would encourage anyone to also check the lanikai and see if it's for you. it's a laminate uke. it's half the cost, and to my fingers and ears, it's as responsive and a better sounding ukulele.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000