Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 what uke to buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:59:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Kieth
Tell me about the Mele Lili'u. I have a Mele concert and a Mele concert pine apple. I like them both. There are some intonation issues. How is the 6 sting in this department?

Buddy

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  12:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi buddy,

i don't have any intonation problems with my mele lili'u. it's a tenor (i've had more problems with intonation on the smaller ukes). i like it. compared to my friend's kamaka 6 stringer, of course, it doesn't compare well in terms of tone.

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  12:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hello, does anyone have feedback on ukuleles made by Les Reitfers or Reitfors? I met a Japanese student last night who owned one. Very nice and very expensive.
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  1:03:27 PM  Show Profile
I think he is out of waimanalo and does both guitars and ukes. I have seen his work on ebay before and he uses killer wood and does cool inlay like the Hawaiian flag at the headstock. Based on the prices on ebay, his works aint cheap and I have no idea how they sound.
Go to Top of Page

pelott
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  4:26:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I am a percussionist for over 20 years now and new to Hawaiian music. I am going to be purchasing my first uke and want a quality sounding piece without spending too much on it until I decide how much I enjoy it and what things I like and dislike about the one I purchase. I am on a strict budget as well. I live in Dsacramento if anyone can recommend a place to shop one out. I have seen many but the prices ranges are vast and they are only pictures. Any help her is welcome. I want to play for my little girl and have this be the beginning of a life long persuit for me and maybe her too.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  10:10:05 PM  Show Profile
pelott,

Quality on a budget? Try a soprano-sized Flea for around $100. If you can't find one locally, there is always Elderly, www.elderly.com The Magic Fluke Co. seems to really know what they are doing.

Aloha,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  10:39:45 AM  Show Profile
My little one loves her Flea and so do I. Construction wise it is a quality piece of work. The top is solid and has some nice color choices, the neck is straight and has a plastic fretboard which makes it easy to play. That combined with the plastic molded body makes it pretty much indestructable within reason. She has been doing both strumming and just learining to pick some songs. It has a very pelasant tone. Some people may not consider the sound to be "traditional", but others may have some better input on this and I would not really call this problem cuz it sounds great. For $100 at elderly including a nice padded case I think it is a good deal. The people who make them are really nice and helpful and if I ever had a problem, I am pretty sure they would be accomodating.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  01:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi pelott!
This is a good place to ask about a first uke, but we all have our own take on what a good first uke is...
There are three sizes, soprano (also called standard), tenor and baritone. Baritones are nice and mellow, plus they make good accompaniment instruments for singers, but they don't really "sound" like a uke because of the deeper tones and guitar-like tuning. So I would definitely start with one of the other sizes.
Before you buy a soprano, Fluke/Flea or otherwise, consider a tenor size. They're easier for those of us with fat fingers, easier to hold and the sound is deeper and more full. They're usually a little more expensive than a soprano, but it may be worth it. If you like listening to Israel Kamakawiwo'ole sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", you may be disappointed in the sound of a soprano uke. Asian-made ukes, like the Lanikai brand, start around $125 for a tenor. I have both sopranos and tenor ukes and I find I play the tenor more because of better volume (competes well with the guitar) and playability. On the other hand, I take my $30 Chinese-made soprano to the beach, where it sometimes gets wet, or even stepped on.
I hope you become addicted like the rest of us...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  01:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Still soprano sized (Jesse, you forgot concert size, the one in between soprano and tenor.), not as nice sounding as the Flea, but on an introductory special @ $65 with no shipping charges is the RISA soprano. Also made in China, but very nicely, it is a good first uke, good looking, decent sounding. I got it from the distributer/maker, his specs to a Chinese factory, because I trust the standards of the man who owns RISA. Now, can you trust me?

Factory sales - http://www.risa-music.de/English/english.html Delivery took 3 weeks.
US sales - http://www.ukeleleworld.com/prodsoprisa.html costs a little more with shipping but may arrive sooner.

BTW, Rigk says the original strings are optomized for ADF#B, one note higher than the usual GCEA tuning. They buzzed when I gave it C-tuning so I pulled them off and put on a new set. Lots better.

I posted a review here: http://pub16.ezboard.com/fthe4thpegparlorroomfrm2.showMessage?topicID=110.topic

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  02:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks, Pauline...
I forgot mention the concert-sized uke, which is what I play most of the time. But the differences between tenor and concert are small, so I just kind of lumped them together in my mind. Both tenor and concert have a deeper, fuller sound than the soprano, but the concert usually just has a slightly shallower body, and perhaps a different frets-to-the-body count. In the budget price range, you don't see many concert ukes.
I took my cheap soprano to the park today and played while my kids played on the playground. Kids would stop and stare, then smile for no reason at all.
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000