Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Musical Artist Web Sites
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  05:28:47 AM  Show Profile
If you are a musical artist who has a web page, a My Space page or a You Tube page, please keep up with your web site. I have discovered that many artists may initially make a swell web site but never keep it updated. I have been looking at the artists' calendars/performance schedules and I find that the calendar has not been updated for a couple of years. Or the artist has a blog and has not posted anything on it for a couple of years. If music is your business, then you need to treat it as such. You wouldn't expect any other product web site to be a couple of years out of date and still be a viable, money-making enterprise.

Just a small time peeve.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Just a small time peeve.
...from someone who is happily retired, and has more time on her hands than a lot of the musicians with day-jobs.

Maybe you should become a web-mistress for Hawaiian musicians, eh Wanda? I know many of these folks had someone else build their websites for them years ago (usually web-savvy friends, back when it wasn't so easy to do-it-yourself); now they are often frustrated, because they can't do their own updating - they have to bug their friends, who get around to it when they feel like it.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  07:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
quote:
Or the artist has a blog and has not posted anything on it for a couple of years.

Perhaps the artist has a life? Perhaps the artist is busy making art? Perhaps the artist has decided that the only people reading the blogs are those with too much time on their hands? Perhaps the artist raises and trains peeves for the pet market?

I'd suggest writing the web masters of the sites that bug you directly. Gawd knows they have little enough to do already.

In my case, my trusty webslave Uji will be only too happy to look up towards the light outside his cave, rattle his shackles and spring into action. You might toss him a bowl of slop as a reward.

Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  08:39:02 AM  Show Profile
I don't think it bugs her so directly, more like indirect bugging. Direct bugging is when the ones with 92 legs come in the house. She really don't like them.
Mark, you sound like Wanda hit a nerve. Has Uji been slacking more than his keys? Or maybe not enough poi in his bowl of slop?
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile
uh oh Mark . . . .

now ya gone and stirred up the old one-two left-right port-starboard hubbie-wife turrible-tandem from Tenessee (I know they don't liev there - it just sounded funny)

I wonder if pet peeves will market as well as pet rocks did.

gotta get back to my life now, enough escapism

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  2:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Hi Wanda,

I think Gregg has it correct. Lots of artists rely on a web administrator to update their site, and don't (or are unable) to do it themselves. Having the web admin. make a change is costly, takes a number of steps, and might not have much apparent use if the web site has weak traffic.

I know of at least one project in development mode right now to do a central portal for Hawaiian web sites, which would make it easier and more cost effective for an artist to maintain a current page. But, as of now, unless the artist is web savvy enough to use something like Hostbaby, they are going to have to pay a web admin, and that often is not worth the effort.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  3:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Darin - thanks for sharing your perspective. I guess as a consumer of the product produced by the musician or as a product of the information shared on their web site, I do not understand why one would "bother" with a web site in the first place if they are not going to keep up with it. Seems like a waste.

I guess it must be a fad to have your own web site. It must be "the" thing to do. To me, though, it looks sad when someone's web site says look at our calendar to see where we are playing, and the last entry on the calendar was a couple of years ago.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  4:21:46 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I guess it must be a fad to have your own web site. It must be "the" thing to do. To me, though, it looks sad when someone's web site says look at our calendar to see where we are playing, and the last entry on the calendar was a couple of years ago.

I'm with you, Wanda......better to not have a web site at all if you're not going to keep it updated. Or at least just put information on it but no schedule.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile
And more than one web administrator has grumbled to me that the musicians are so busy doing music, they fail to keep the web guy/gal informed of new gigs, new releases, etc. Without that input, the web administrator's hands are tied...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  8:33:40 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

And more than one web administrator has grumbled to me that the musicians are so busy doing music, they fail to keep the web guy/gal informed of new gigs, new releases, etc. Without that input, the web administrator's hands are tied...

The term "like pulling teeth" comes to mind.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:03:49 PM  Show Profile
I think part of the problem is that the musicians have to have day jobs, too. That really makes for too busy to do a lot of "expendable" tasks.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  2:59:28 PM  Show Profile
Maybe also - we're "into" use of computers or we wouldn't be writting here. Not all people are really "into" computers. I know a few musicians who put up a site thinking it would generate something that would be profitable and when it didn't lead to much they just "difted away" from it. Once the commercial possibilities didn't pan out, they lost interest, partially, at least, because they don't use the machine as a significant resource for networking, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2008 :  11:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Wanda,

I think you hit it on the head in terms of artists having a lot of initial interest in a web site. A website seems like a great thing to have, but once it's up and running, it looses some glamour and the maintenance ends up being too much of a hassle.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000